Flat or semi-gloss paint before wallpapering

Silvergirlsails

I just bought my first dollhouse kit, RGT’s Victoria’s Farmhouse. 

Directions found online state to buy white semi-gloss interior latex paint and use this to paint then sand the interior surfaces that will be painted or wallpapered. 

I have seen other directions that advise using flat white paint. 

Which paint has worked for you best before wallpapering?

Edited by Silvergirlsails
clarity

3 hours ago, jrchob said:

I've done quite a few MDF RGT houses. I prepare the same way as above. Will add I always use a flat paint when painting a room after being primed.

Thank you everyone, for your replies.

jrchob, do you have any idea how much paint I will need for the exterior ? I'm trying to figure out if I should get a quart or just a pint of the color I will be using on the exterior. Thank you!

30 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

I used a pint for the exterior of my Duracraft and that's three coats...not that it needed three but a pint was plenty with just a smidge leftover.

Thank you--that's what I think I've seen for this house as well--about a pint for the exterior. This works out because Benjamin Moore does pints, although only in eggshell finish. 

Which finish did you use for the exterior? Flat, eggshell or semi-gloss?

25 minutes ago, Silvergirlsails said:

Thank you--that's what I think I've seen for this house as well--about a pint for the exterior. This works out because Benjamin Moore does pints, although only in eggshell finish. 

Which finish did you use for the exterior? Flat, eggshell or semi-gloss?

High gloss and semi-gloss are not recommended. A satin or eggshell finish is nice on the exterior, and makes it easier to wipe down or dust. I personally wouldn't use a flat paint on the exterior, but that's just my preference.

12 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

High gloss and semi-gloss are not recommended. A satin or eggshell finish is nice on the exterior, and makes it easier to wipe down or dust. I personally wouldn't use a flat paint on the exterior, but that's just my preference.

I used a satin finish and it looks amazing (if I do say so myself lol)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Thanks! Semi-gloss was recommended here https://www.dollhouseworkshop.net/RGT/1065/Painting.html but I'll be using eggshell anyway because that's what I can get as a pint. I questioned semi-gloss for the interior because I didn't think wallpaper would adhere to it as well as flat. Glad to hear the eggshell will work for the exterior.

1 hour ago, jrchob said:

This actually is one of my favorite houses. I used a Benjamin Moore semi gloss on the exterior Saybrook Sage with Hale Navy shutters.

That looks beautiful! 

May I ask which primer you used? 

I love the floors. What did you use for them?

Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, Silvergirlsails said:

That looks beautiful! 

May I ask which primer you used? 

I love the floors. What did you use for them?

Thank you so much!

I usually use a Zinsser primer. For the floors I used strips of mahogany veneer and then several coats of polyuretane.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, jrchob said:

I usually use a Zinsser primer. For the floors I used strips of mahogany veneer and then several coats of polyuretane.

jrchob, did you put in your first floor flooring before or after you assembled the house? I noticed in the instructions he has the first floor wood floors in place when he glues the first floor to the foundation. Just curious as to which method might be easier as I had planned to do the floors after I assembled the house.

Just to clarify for others working on RGT dollhouses:

RGT recommends painting ONLY the surfaces that will be finished with paint. 

I contacted customer service because the included printed instructions state to paint “everything” but then their online instructions say, “First coat everything that will be painted in the finished house, inside and out.”

RGT has instructed me not to paint any surfaces that will have wallpaper (which will be all of my interior walls and ceilings) or veneer glued to them because it will be necessary to sand off the paint for any glues to adhere.”

Wallpapering an unprimed surface allows the chemicals in the wood/ MDF to leach out over time and discolor the paper.  You want to glue bare wood/ MDF to bare wood? MDF, but wallpaper paste holds wallpaper to a flat-finish primed wall just dandy.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Wallpapering an unprimed surface allows the chemicals in the wood/ MDF to leach out over time and discolor the paper.  You want to glue bare wood/ MDF to bare wood? MDF, but wallpaper paste holds wallpaper to a flat-finish primed wall just dandy.

Thank you. I don't know why RGT did not take into account the potential for discoloration of the wallpaper.