An Arizona Hello!

Hello ! Hi! Howdy Howdy Howdy!

I'm relatively new to miniatures. The first dollhouse I built was almost on a whim, something to keep myself occupied. (I think it was a 1:24 scale, I'm not 100% on it right now). 
I got the bug, and now I'm working on my second house, a Willow. 

i live in Arizona with my husband and two mini schnauzers. 

I've been working on the house for about a month (slowly assembling) and Now I'm at a point where I decided to try electricity in it. I'm am using Cir-Kit tapewire. 

I've followed the best of directions I've seen, but I'm having difficulty confirming the lights 'work.' The test probe works directly on the junction splice, and with the ends, but only 1 out of 4 times on the tape by the splice when I'm testing. On subsequent tapes, it is more like 1/6, so I haven't been able to check beyond one room. 
Honestly, i don't know if i have bad tape, bad tester, bad installer, or just don't know how to work the probe. 

Does anyone have advice on how to proceed? 

Hi, Mandy :wave:  Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the joins are not secure between the sections of tape. How are you connecting the  sections of tape? Brads? Eyelets?  Soldering? 

You should watch this YouTube video on How to Electrify a Dollhouse. It's the best one I've seen.

Welcome:wave:( from another desert dweller)

The junction splice is usually the culprit for causing my electrical problems. Make sure it has good contact. Also, throw the brads out and use the eyelets for any connections. I try to miter the tape wire to make turns whenever possible instead of cutting and reconnecting it.

This handy tool is a big help for setting the brads after you have started the pilot hole. https://cr2s.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=198

The video Kathy recommended is the best source of info.

rsz_img_2055.thumb.jpg.1d7cfc7df0d9c61aeedf541df21b4d91.jpg

22 hours ago, KathieB said:

Hi, Mandy :wave:  Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the joins are not secure between the sections of tape. How are you connecting the  sections of tape? Brads? Eyelets?  Soldering? 

You should watch this YouTube video on How to Electrify a Dollhouse. It's the best one I've seen.

Thanks Kathie! 

I'm using eyelets. I will check out the video.