How best to handle items while I glue them!

Hey everybody, first time poster here.

This may seem like an odd question but since I've started my first build I've found holding on to objects while I glue them together to be a real pain!

Firstly this an issue to do with the glue I'm using. I'm using UHU Adhesive at the moment and whenever I take the lid off the glue starts pouring out everywhere meaning I sometimes get it on me/my miniatures while I'm making them. I've been looking online and have just bought some Aleen's tacky glue which I hope will work better.

I feel like you need five hands sometimes, so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a type of clamp, or holder, that I can place on my workdesk and use to hold an object or part of an object for me while I glue things together?? I've found that my objects sometimes start to fall apart too unless I hold them together until the glue dries, so something like this would be helpful for that too!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Things I've learned over the years - 

• A magnetic gluing jig is great for building furniture and getting those 90 degrees angles straight.
  •  Use wood glue for wood pieces; Aleen's tacky glue works for just about everything else except plastic (then use Testor's glue)
  •  Put wax paper under objects as glue is far less likely to stick to wax.
  •  Put the glue on the smaller object (not on the bigger object.)
  •  Use toothpicks or a small paint brush to apply the glue.  (And you don't have to dip the brush into the bottle; instead have a small supply of glue on a piece or paper or cardboard)
  •  I've used rubber bands to hold things together to dry since you can adjust the tension fairly easily.

I hope some of this helps.  I'll bet other people have good ideas for you.

• Like 1

Welcome! I use painter's tape a lot  for things big and small. It is usually laying close by and can be torn to length and width needed. Just don't leave it on too long overnight is ok seemingly. Glue should be set by then anyway. There is an item called "the third hand" which is little clamps on a stand. Can find it at Harbor Freight and I think HBS used to sell it probably hobby shops too. It is on my wishlist so not sure how well it works. 

• Like 1

Micro Mark also sells that Third Hand goody.  I fold a small piece of waxed paper and pour a small puddle of glue onto that, then use my toothpick to apply the glue.  I use Tite Bond for wood to wood, clear drying Elmer's white all-purpose glue for clear acetate window inserts and upholstery, and E6000 for everything else.  I'm presently using my magnetic gluing jig to make new pin-hinged doors and casement windows for my Lily/ Tuscan Villa.

• Like 1

I've found all kinds of clamps at Home Depot for clamping pieces together including corner clamps.  They are in the small tool section by the saws.  If there is an area that I can't clamp, I use painter's tape or masking tape.  I've used quick dry or regular Aleen's tacky glue for all of my houses.  My grandmother was an avid crafter, and she swore by it for all of her projects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 9:11 AM, Medieval said:

For little stuff I use small clamps and Legos to get right angles.

Why didn't I think of Lego bricks to help with right angles! So much more convenient than using nothing. 

I'll try that when I work on my next small project