Hi I’m new!

Hi everyone, new here! I live in Maryland outside of DC. I have always been fascinated by miniatures and am currently  finishing assembly on a kit that my parents bought when I was a preteen and that was 30+ years ago! My mom had wanted to pay for assembly but my dad said it would be a fun father daughter project! Well it would have been, but we didn’t start until I was no longer living in my hometown! I finally got a (life size) house of my own and could bring the partially finished mini house to my house! I have a LOT to learn!

• Like 1

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! It is an old kit from Walmer—“Plum Pudding.” I’m probably going to modify it a bit, because I’m not crazy about the gingerbread. The siding, which I put on ages ago with my dad, is kind of imperfect. I tried loosening the adhesive to see if I could do a different exterior treatment but it’s on there pretty solidly!

3AFF8830-4762-4343-8CC6-DFBF122E1AC2.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Plangal! Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of experienced members here and lots of information...your house looks like you're going to enjoy finishing it up! That's the beauty of making on and making changes is there's so much that can be done to modify it, just like RL.  Hope you'll continue to share your progress!

Thanks everyone! Great ideas! The problem I’ve had so far is being stuck in “analysis paralysis” which is common for me—so much looking at ideas and not enough execution. 

Ooooo I suffer from that A LOT - so what I’ve started doing is writing down on a list what I’d like to do in each room - color schemes, wallpaper, types of furniture etc - If I have the furniture, paper, kits I gather them and place them in the room - helps me see how things fit and then I build floor by floor. This has helped my get through the paralysis and move forward - if it doesn’t work then I know I need to either replace the item or modify the plan... it’s kept me moving on my builds! 

Edited by Qubanqtee
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

I keep track of my planning using an excel spreadsheet. I can highlight things I'm waiting for in italic, things I bought in bold, etc. I also save pictures of the items on my computer. 

I Looooove spreadsheets so you’re speaking my language. I currently am taking a few weeks off between jobs and my husband joked that I would end up making spreadsheets on how to spend my time! 

• Haha 1