my Quirky Cottage

LeeB

This is what I have been working on for the past few weeks. I call it my Quirky Cottage because it doesn't quite fit the usual categories and I am throwing in many of my favorite things. The ground floor is finished except for the trim and railings on the porches. This photo is before I added the windows and doors. I have a good bit of the second half floor up now too, but not dressed for photos yet. So just a peek for now...

IMG_3974__1588297698_13640.jpg

Edited by LeeB
clarity
  • Like 2

Not exactly, Jess. It started with an incomplete kit that I decided to try to salvage. It was a vintage SW Crafts "Country Estate."

I had just enough pieces to reconfigure the first floor, using basically the same floorplan, but using different wall pieces. The foundation was missing, as were all the parts for doors and windows and half the walls. So the second floor is all new and it has been a challenge. Good mental exercise trying to plan things several steps ahead! I am not trying to recreate the original but to create a new design. So I guess you would call it a kit bash - with about half scratch additions and/or substitutions.

Edited by LeeB
correction

Yes, Holly - twin porches - one on each side of the front. We LOVE our own front porch and spend as much time as we can out there, though in NE Ohio, that isn't as much of the year as we would like. In fact, when we were house shopping for our retirement, we tried out the porch swing on this house before we even set foot inside!  I am planning a swing for this mini house, too.

I bought a little hobby electric table saw. Someday when the Pierce is done I'd like to build one from scratch. I'd like to hear about how it goes with this one Lee so I can learn from your experiences. So please keep documenting! Looking good so far.

I'll definitely keep posting about the progress. Once we have the OK to upload photos to the Gallery section, I will start an album of the step-by-step process.

Meanwhile, here is a shot of the fireplace I made:

IMG_4033__1588297877_41514.jpg

• Like 4

That wallpaper looks an awful lot like some gift wrap I used in a build.  Love the andirons!  When we lived in Coshocton, OH, we had a big front porch and I lived in our porch swing.

Holly - it IS gift wrap. Made in Florence and bought in Venice. I have had it for ages and it was the inspiration for the whole room - sort of English Arts & Crafts, influenced by the Medieval period but edging into more Craftsman style. The "andirons" are little figures I got in Scotland and I had no idea what I would do with them at the time. They just seem to fit here.

Lee, I suspect kindred minds.  I have used all sorts of odds & ends for wall coverings.  Are the pieces you used for the chimneybreast & hearth leftover from a bathroom or kitchen tiling project?

Those tiles are from a collection of semi-precious stones that my wife found at a thrift store for 50 cents. They were all glued to a piece of cardboard and labeled so I recorded the names of every specimen and its country of origin on a chart that I made.

IMG_4035__1588298047_95722.jpg

• Like 2