Hello from Richardson Texas

20 years I found a partially constructed, filthy, and partially destroyed Greenleaf Pierce house in a neighbor’s trash.  I took it home, I rebuilt the porch, kind of restored the turret, painted it, and decorated inside and made/bought furniture appropriate for my 5-year old niece for a Christmas present. A few years later I made a room box of my husband’s corner candy store in the Bronx. That was really my favorite since I did not have to do building, just the creative part.  I made food, Spaulding balls for stick ball, cigarettes, magazines, and this was still when the internet was not as rich as it is today.  About 10 years ago I made shadow boxes for my grandsons, which I really enjoyed.

But now, I am building a Greenleaf Primrose (I do not enjoy the building, sanding, priming, sanding, priming) with the greenhouse plus I will put an  arbor on the back for an outdoor eating area.  It will be on a 2x2 board so lots of space for greenery.  I am having trouble with the painting.  I am using craft satin acrylic and even though I primed and sanded it just seems to suck it up.  I am almost done with exterior and anxious to get to interior!

Welcome, Cathy! I would suggest using house paint instead of craft paint. It is much better quality and will cover better with fewer coats. Though it is also more expensive, you can cut costs by using leftovers that you may have around the house. I use light neutrals or colors that are in the same color family and tint them to the shade I want using craft paints that are cheap and easily found. You can also buy the sample trial size of paint at hardware or paint stores to avoid buying the large cans. I also have learned to label everything I custom mix so that I know exactly what I have for future touch-ups. 

• Thanks 1

:wave:Welcome Cathy!

Zinser makes a great primer which I apply first. I also like the sample size of latex paints for the exterior of my builds. You can get them tinted to whatever color you desire. Just stay away from a glossy sheen. It photographs badly and accentuates brush stokes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the little family, Cathy.  I use white flat interior latex house paint to prime with and I use the little sampler 4 oz jars of interior latex paint to paint with.  I don't prime any surfaces I want to stain.

Hi Cathy! Welcome to the forum.....I like to use satin paints as those with the gloss tend to have too much shine and doesn't hide those brush strokes. I go to Home Depot and get the sample size and they tint it in whatever color Id like.  It's been the best solution for me.  Hope you'll sure as you progress!