Forgotten Cottage

shamrockgirl18

I've been very inspired lately, particularly by the art of twistedcopperforest on Instagram. I made this out of cardboard, covered it with gesso, then spackle, then paint, and am now attaching branches. I am trying to make it look like an old cottage abandoned in the woods, possibly a witch's house.

The spackle made the house kind of heavy, so I don't want to do it on the inside.

What would you suggest I do on the inside to make it look like an old cottage? I am trying to use materials I already have around the house, rather than buying more stuff (also, I am too impatient to wait a week or more for delivery right now).

Please leave me some inspiration or suggestions.

95039920_10102708912694325_8247212844777472000_o.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Stain strips of cardboard/ chipboard with wood stain and attach vertically & age it by rubbing grated chalk pastels over it?

I do have an excess of cardboard, which is why I keep making more and more houses (I also made a little vintage camper one day, just for a new challenge)

I might be able to give this a whirl

Here are some ideas to try to give your interior walls an old textured look,  just off the top of my head, not sure how they'd come out, you'd need to try them out. 

Tear small pieces of brown paper bags, glue to surface, cover with layer of watered down glue, then paint as desired. You could also try the tissue paper stucco method. I've never done it but I think there was a post about it somewhere. I'm thinking you could use facial tissue or that thin white crackly gift tissue.

Another idea just came to me. Mixing sand into paint adds texture, but if you don't have any handy used dry coffee grounds or tea leaves might work. You'd need to apply a layer of glue to the wall, sprinkle on the sand or whatever, press it down, and let dry.  Once dry gently brush on a layer of watered down glue over it, let dry, then another layer of glue if the stuff is still coming off, then paint. 

I just remembered there's that lightweight joint compound. It's very fluffy, it's not my favorite, but some people really like using it.

That's all I can think of that won't cost much and you might have handy.