Welcome back everyone! Check in here

fov

Glad to be able to access the forum again.  A big thankyou to Dean and the Greenleaf people for making this forum possible.  My update:  Did not go to the Seattle Miniature Show in early March even though it was not canceled as I am of the age that recommended not being in crowd of people.  Of course since then we are under stay at home suggestion (orders).  Have been spending way too much time on FB miniature pages, reading wonderful blogs (thankyou for those of you who do have blogs, I just don't know how to post comments on any of them).  I finished the rehab of the Greenleaf Laurel and started a half scale build.  My son-in-law and grandson have used the 3D printer to make me some half scale items as find it difficult to find half scale.

My daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons are still living with us.  Daughter and I take turns cooking dinners which is nice.  Grandsons are taking online college classes as the physical building is closed at this time.  Son-in-Law starts new job early in May (he retired from the Air Force in December).  He will go in for orientation, etc. and then work from home due to virus.  Can you imagine starting a new job during this time of safe distancing.  They are also now looking for a home to buy in the local area.

We found this funny.  During the real life toilet paper shortage, I looked on a miniature website to buy toilet paper for my dollhouse and found it was out of stock at that time.  I guess a lot of us miniaturists were also stocking up on toilet paper at that time.

Have a good day and enjoy your minis.

So far, so good for me and my family here in Washington. My son and I purchased a 3D  printer in January and it lives at my house, so I have been having a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately, that fun has taken time away from the San Franciscan #555 I am building for my sister. I am mostly printing toys for my grandchildren, so it's not all bad. I am still looking for some dollhouse furniture/accessories I can print, but haven't found anything I like yet.

Stay Well,

John

1 hour ago, thriftymini said:

..., I looked on a miniature website to buy toilet paper for my dollhouse and found it was out of stock at that time.  I guess a lot of us miniaturists were also stocking up on toilet paper at that time.

:roflmao:  I always tell folks who ask where we get items that we can get anything in miniature that we can get in real life -- often at twice the price.  Never thought about the mini items running short!!

1 hour ago, thriftymini said:

...During the real life toilet paper shortage, I looked on a miniature website to buy toilet paper for my dollhouse and found it was out of stock at that time.  I guess a lot of us miniaturists were also stocking up on toilet paper at that time...

5 minutes ago, KathieB said:

:roflmao:  I always tell folks who ask where we get items that we can get anything in miniature that we can get in real life -- often at twice the price.  Never thought about the mini items running short!!

I guess the little people who live in our houses hoard, too.

I am teaching remotely since the end of March. The last day I saw my students was March 13, then the next week was a frenzy to get lessons prepared and students began their on-line lessons on March 23rd. I prefer teaching in person. DH is also working from home, so it's the 2 of us and our dog. 

I finished the Sugarplum at the beginning of March and am working on the Lilliput Apple Blossom rehab, which has turned out to be more work than I originally thought, but is going well. I have been able to spend more weekend time working on my projects and they are an absolute necessity to keep me sane.:wacko:

Spring has been pretty chilly up here. Looking forward to some warmer days and release back into society.

Hi Everyone, I'm so happy to see the forum up and running. I so missed everyone's posts.

I have been able to work from home with my hubby. One son lives with us for now and we have played so much cribbage and aggravation that we actually don't get aggravated any more. I have mostly worked on dolls. I  just keep staring at my Magnolia saying your next.

Looking forward to seeing pictures soon.

Happy dancing around the house, as I FINALLY remembered where I'd stashed all the mini rugs I'd made, found them AND a couple more still on the fabric with possible room to stitch a couple more.  I had madly put it all up last December when the two younger boys and #2's wife came for December visiting.  I've been merrily knitting 1:1 projects (mostly socks; I discovered I love wearing hand-knit socks) and furnishing Brimble's owner's apartment until it was done enough to take off the work bench and bring in the house.  Grocery shopping this AM (NOT at 0600, thank you) and in addition to the 6' markers at the check-out and the plexi cashier shields Publix has made all their aisles one-way.  It makes shopping SO much more pleasurable, DH & I hope they keep them one way after this crisis is past.

• Like 2

Nice to see everyone back. I was also checking everyday. All is well here in Utah. I also have a high school senior and it has been very heart breaking to see him miss out on all of the end of year senior fun and no graduation. I can’t say I have felt like I am under much of any quarantine because our house went on the market and since then I’ve had a steady stream of random people in my house from showings to inspector, agents. I had 17 showings in 2 days and luckily the house sold with an offer from the first day. It’s under contract at least, so knock on wood I don’t have to start over for any reason. I’ve been busy packing so no time for minis but my dollhouses sure got a lot of attention during the showings. 
Maybe someone saw them and caught the mini bug..that would be nice. 

Hi Everyone!  Just checking in from my little corner of SC. The numbers for my county are 7 reported cases and sadly 2 deaths.  I've been staying at home since the end of Feb. but not because of the virus, Bronchitis and a sinus infection were enough to slow me down.  

I'm really glad to see everyone and have the forum back up and running.  Looking forward to catching up.

Here in Illinois we are also on stay at home and I've been working from home since early March. Fortunately both me and hubby still have a job. I was horribly sick in mid February, down for 2 weeks with upper respiratory and sinus, gave it to hubby who too was horribly sick. We both think we had Covid, but of course couldn't get tested. I was either taking time off or WFH during that time, though I did commute downtown 1-2 days...probably spread whatever I had :(. 

Life is so surreal and the future uncertain, what will the new normal look like. like @1martinimomma I have been thinking about retirement, though mine was looking like 2 years from now. With all this, who knows. I may be out of a job (I'm a contractor) at any time. Not much I can do about it so I've tried to limit my 'woe is me' moments until I really am in a dire situation. I'm very grateful for what I have - health, a home, a healthy husband....and I don't have to commute 2 hours each way every day!

• Like 2

Heidi, you & your hubs should get tested to see if it was, indeed, the COVID19 virus that had you so sick, as there will be lots of nice, healthy antibodies flowing through your bloodstreams, and people working on developing vaccines are interested in antibodies.  Also, it may show if what you had wasn't that virus.  Just continue to be careful NOT to get it.  The news reports more nasty things besides killer pneumonia.

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Heidi, you & your hubs should get tested to see if it was, indeed, the COVID19 virus that had you so sick, as there will be lots of nice, healthy antibodies flowing through your bloodstreams, and people working on developing vaccines are interested in antibodies.  Also, it may show if what you had wasn't that virus.  Just continue to be careful NOT to get it.  The news reports more nasty things besides killer pneumonia.

Yeah, there's lots of conflicting and misinformation out there. Right now the CDC hasn't confirmed any of those antibody tests, and the FDA is issuing what amounts to a bypass to companies who have developed the serology tests. They aren't approved by FDA but the manufacturers have the ability to sell this test. That doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies as to the quality and validity of the tests and I know that their first priorities for testing are first responders etc. So for now I will stay home, and live in my own bubble.

• Like 1

Hi Everybody!:wave:

Something told me to check the forum today and I'm so glad I did! You really have no idea how much you will miss something until it's gone! Thanks to all involved in getting the forum up and running in these "interesting times". 

Some may have noticed my absence before the site going down.  In the span of a two week period my wife asked me for a divorce, my aunt passed after a long illness and my father was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Needless to say any one of these events can derail the creative process. Having all three at once just shut me down. I also was feeling immense pressure to get back on Dad's travel trailer project due to his illness. I was still buying things here and there but physically working on it was immensely challenging. 

Things started to look up at the beginning of 2020. My divorce was finalized in February and Dad's treatments begin in a few days!. I've started finding my creative "spark" again in other much smaller projects. I hope to resume work on the trailer soon.

I've not had much time to work on much anything as of late. Working in the vehicle maintenance side of St. Louis's mass transit (bus) company, I'm deemed an "essential worker". On top of that we have been working 60 hour weeks. That doesn't leave much time to do a lot at home. Despite that I feel truly blessed to be working when so many are not! So I do what I can  on the weekends. 

As of now my family and I are doing ok virus wise. 

Enough of my ramblings. To my online "family" :)  know I hope and pray all of you are safe and healthy! Hopefully we soon can get off this crazy ride!

Bill 

1 hour ago, WBrownIV said:

Things started to look up at the beginning of 2020.

Terrific, Bill! Glad you passed through your personal darkness and found your way back here! Thank you for your efforts in keeping the buses running so the rest of our essential heroes can get to their jobs. Many thanks and much appreciation to all of you. :clap:  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Terrific, Bill! Glad you passed through your personal darkness and found your way back here! Thank you for your efforts in keeping the buses running so the rest of our essential heroes can get to their jobs. Many thanks and much appreciation to all of you. :clap:  

Thank you Kathie!

It's good to be back! :) 

I'm glad I can help! The real heroes are the drivers that are out with the public every day! We've had several test positive and unfortunately lost a driver to the virus:(  Our in house fabrication department came up with a design for "spit shields" to help shield the drivers. They are being made and installed as fast as possible. A group of volunteers have been sewing masks to distribute to all drivers/operators to help stop the spread. They are working away when I come in at 5:30  am and are still going at it when I leave at 6:30 pm!  To help stop the spread we get our temperatures taken before we enter the building. That way anyone running a fever can be taken care of without risking the rest of us!

I also thank those who are on the front lines during this crisis! They have the most unenviable of tasks!

Bill

It’s been a whacky and stressful year here. Bushfires since November, my mum’s farms were burnt, I went back to work for a couple of months, and coronavirus lockdown.... crazy. But we are all healthy and getting on with things. When this year is over, I think I will forget it ever existed. Not much time  for minis - work for me!

Great to hear everyone is OK. Please stay that way. Look after yourselves.

Everything is good here in Maryland (haven’t figured out how to update my location from PA - as I’ve moved in with the beau just outside DC). His house provides me with a huge craft room so I feel terribly spoiled. :)

We’ve been healthy - and unlike some of the horror stories you guys have told about your state reps, Maryland’s governor has been awesome so far. We’re both fortunate to have jobs that could move to telework. His son is home from college finishing his third year remotely. My DD just got her real first job and I sweated her losing it - last hired first fired sort of thing. But they’ve been great having her come in half week and telework the other half and two bonuses in the last month. Feeing very fortunate and I’m a hermit by nature so staying indoors and crafting is a happy place.
@WBrownIV I’m so sorry - I haven’t been around for a while but not for those reasons! Just other hobbies taking over. So glad to hear you are still able to work - that is probably a good thing after navigating the other storms you’ve been dealt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Intrinsicat said:

@WBrownIV I’m so sorry - I haven’t been around for a while but not for those reasons! Just other hobbies taking over. So glad to hear you are still able to work - that is probably a good thing after navigating the other storms you’ve been dealt.

Thank you Jen! You are correct about work! Keeping your mind occupied on the job at hand you have little time to stray off course! By the time I make it home I'm pretty "brain dead" for lack of a better term. Definitely helps to keep me from dwelling on things! :) 

Glad to hear things are good with you and yours! 

Sounds like almost everyone is doing pretty well. Unfortunately, my news is not so good. When I posted earlier, I only shared the positive side. My wife and I have been observing the guidelines pretty faithfully. About a week into the stay at home advisory, our adult daughter, who normally works in humanitarian aid overseas, joined us. She is back in the US and has no permanent home here. She has become quite sick but the onset was well past the 14 day quarantine period after arrival during which they say you start to have symptoms after exposure. That means that she was most likely exposed after moving in with us and that we would probably have been exposed at the same time. We have no idea how. Yet my wife and I have no symptoms whatsoever. But our daughter has autoimmune conditions which make her more vulnerable. Where we live in Ohio, there are not enough tests for everyone who needs them, so they are being reserved for seniors and those with severe medical conditions, so she has not been officially diagnosed but has been told to treat it as though she has the CV-19. We are very concerned, but there is little we can do but pray. If her symptoms become extreme, she will be admitted for IV and ventilator treatment.

Well, glad to hear that everyone is hanging on. Life's been a bit rough since last year - I haven't been around much. My father had cancer, started an internal bleed in March 2019 and couldn't get it repaired with surgery until August. We had a few touch and go situations where he almost died. He got better until about February this year, that's when he asked me to move in with him to help out. I packed a few things and did that and then he passed on March 17th. Since then I have been dealing with packing up two houses, moving, dealing with the estate and I am still going to work every day.

The house I am moving into (parent's house) is full of stuff. I packed all of it for now - it filled a whole bedroom. I was able to clear the garage, and next Saturday my furniture and the rest of my life is being moved: furniture into the house - boxes in the garage for now. I have a painter coming in on the 9th - and then I can start to get organized. I have moved the majority of my dollhouse furniture collection already, now all the building parts are coming on the weekend. It'll take weeks to get set up - I promise I won't move again - they'd have to drag me screaming and kicking out of here. I am so over it. But I will have a shop in the garage, and one bedroom for 'clean' work. No more doing everything in my office and getting saw dust in my computer..... hahaha.

Y'all, I thought I was so clever and packed everything in small moving boxes, thinking that I have to move them at some point. I'm  pretty sure I got over 100 boxes coming. I am already exhausted thinking about it....

Hi everybody,

Read through everyone's posts and glad to hear some of you are doing well, and for those who are having a hard time my thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Here in northwestern CT we're just trying to stay safe, I think our 'stay-at-home' orders end May 20. Not sure, just keep reading that is the date the governor has issued for the kids to go back to school.

I'm very glad to have this forum back up and running, thank you Dean!! Coming here to the Greenleaf forum is a much needed escape from everything else going on out there and it is always nice to see and hear from familiar people (even though I don't post much I always lurk)

Nice to see you all again!!

Happy to see everyone and the forum back up. Thanks Greenleaf!

All good down here in SW Florida. I'm an essential worker (Title Company) so I haven't missed any work. But since I haven't had any plans the past 6 weeks I've been doing mini's. Also taking advantage of the online sales from Michaels and Hobby Lobby, etc so I get a box delivered every few days, which is the highlight of my day usually. Finishing up my Brimbles bakery/candy shop and also working on these 2 Harrison's in between.

Easter weekend was really tough without my family, and I can't see my grandson because he has severe asthma so they're keeping him isolated, but luckily I haven't been sick and I don't know anyone who has been diagnosed. Keeping fingers crossed though, and being extra cautious because our Gov is opening things back up this week. All the beaches open up tomorrow...just praying people behave so this doesn't drag out. I have a lot of friends suffering with their businesses, personal lives.