Hello, I’m new - Willow Cottage kit

SharonW

Hi everyone,

I got a much longed for Willow Cottage kit with basement for Christmas as I’m due to take early retirement at Easter. I’m totally new to this and am now a little scared about how to start. I have bought a lighting kit and know I must decide on position of lights and cut out for the wires first. Do I then paint everywhere and decorate the exterior first?  Any suggestions/tips for external decoration. 

Looking forward to reading your stories on this site.

Thank you 

Edited by SharonW
  • Like 1

Hi, Sharon. Welcome to the forum. There is no RIGHT way to build a dollhouse. Read the directions a few times and then feel free to work in a manner comfortable for you. Take your time with the kit, one step at a time, and you will do fine. As our administrator Tracy (Minis on the Edge) says: It may be hard by the yard, but a cinch by the inch. :) 

Welcome to the little family,Sharon.  What works for me is to read through the directions first, then grab a roll or two of masking tape or blue painter's tape and assemble the kit without gluing anything (what's referred to on the Forum as "dry fit").  In addition to better understanding the instructions, shaving or sanding tabs & slots for a more perfect fit and getting the kit to begin talking to you, once you have at least the main carcase together you can see the room arrangements and decide what you will want to stain vs prime & paint (you can paint over stain but you can't stain over paint or glue, as I have myself learned from personal experience).  You can also figure out how you want to do your electrics.

Hi Sharon.  There is so many ways to do something.  I've found it helpful to read through the posts in this forum.  Think about how others have accomplished something and then pick the best method for my situation and skill level.  Everyone here is very helpful and knowledgeable!