Dura craft SHENANDOAH

Brenhub

I have an old Dura Craft kit that I bought at Sams club many years ago.  I’ve inventoried everything and I think I have all the pieces.  My question is, if any of you have built this, did you stain each piece, then build, or build and then stain...  thank you!

36 minutes ago, Brenhub said:

did you stain each piece, then build, or build and then stain..

Hi, Brenda! Welcome to the forum! :wave:

One thing to keep in mind: stain will not work over glue. If any glue oozes out of the joint, even if you wipe it off immediately, a seal will have formed and you'll find yourself looking for ways to hide light dots. If the joint will be visible or if you are gluing down flooring strips, it is better to stain first.

Paint is another story. You can paint over almost anything. :) 

• Like 1

Thank you for the warm welcome!  I’m afraid I will be looking at staining each piece... ugggg!!!  But I know that will give the best result.  I am not new to minis, have just been out of it for a while.  A recent gift from my daughter has inspired me to get back into it.  It took forever to inventory the SHENANDOAH.  I’m just glad I have the instructions and all the pieces.  The video tape won’t do me much good since I no longer have a video tape player in the house!  I’m trying to learn this site, and after I wrote the message, I couldn’t even find it!  Thanks again for the welcome...

I had the video when I built the San Franciscan by Dura-Craft; it was no particular help, other than recommending I use my utility knife to carve away at window openings that were't the right size.  My next kit was the Dura-Craft Cambridge, which came without a video & turned out just fine.

• Like 1

I built the Duracraft Shenandoah kit as my first dollhouse - that was a mistake, as the "genuine log cabin construction" was much more difficult that either a Greenleaf or RGT kit with the wall pieces already made. I stained before gluing for the reasons stated above.  I didn't occur to me to put it together and then paint it.  I just used the book of instructions and was able to do it okay.  I found the project very time-consuming but the cabin is real cute when done.  Best of luck to you!

• Like 2