New Dollhouse!

JillBear

My daughter and I put our first dollhouse on hold for a short bit here, because i just got a new house kit,  the "Country house"  

I just fell in love with it when I saw the house, so I HAD to buy it!

Im doing some of it different, my last 3 houses, i decorated as i went.  im painting everything first, but wanted to know how you did it?  Do you put it together then paint and decorate? 

This one Im wanting to put a few lights in to. Maybe just one light in each room.  

Any good, non-expensive light set up anyone can lead me too?  and Any lighting tips?

Thanks in advance!  Ill get some pictures of the house! 

When I dry fit I trace along the wall edges; when I take the house apart I cut narrow strips of painters' tape and mask off the edges and door and window frame areas I'll need to glue (bare wood to bare wood; trust me on this).  The dry fit shows me where I won't be able to reach once it's glued, so I prime & paint or paper there first; papering I lay all the wall pieces out in a line and drop match my wallpaper pieces, leaving 1/4" of overlap on each side.  I install windows and doors last, so after the wallpaper paste dries I trim the wallpaper around the door and window openings to expose bare wood.  Next I prep and install floors and prime and paint ceilings.  Then I start the build, priming and decorating as I build, from the ground floor up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

When I dry fit I trace along the wall edges; when I take the house apart I cut narrow strips of painters' tape and mask off the edges and door and window frame areas I'll need to glue (bare wood to bare wood; trust me on this).  The dry fit shows me where I won't be able to reach once it's glued, so I prime & paint or paper there first; papering I lay all the wall pieces out in a line and drop match my wallpaper pieces, leaving 1/4" of overlap on each side.  I install windows and doors last, so after the wallpaper paste dries I trim the wallpaper around the door and window openings to expose bare wood.  Next I prep and install floors and prime and paint ceilings.  Then I start the build, priming and decorating as I build, from the ground floor up.

sounds like how im doing this house.  my first house i just did, and see my flaws, which im trying to avoid with this house! 

Thanks for all your wonderful tips!

I once tried to rehab a poor pitiful pearl dollhouse whilst it was still together; two days in it was an ungodly mess, so I disassembled, stripped and sanded off all the prior mess plus my own mess and started over.  Usually decorating as I go works best for me.

• Like 1

I also like to decorate as I go, then I can get my hands in those tight spaces. It's hard, though, because a part of me just wants to put it all together (that ol' instant gratification thing) and feel like I've done something instead of crawling along, but it pays off in the end.