Coloring wood shingles?

Jewliebeads

Hello everyone! 

Can I safely color wood shingles by diluting a little acrylic craft paint with water and lightly soaking the shingles for a few minutes?

I want to get subtle shades of grey with some slightly darker and some slightly lighter. I don't want them to look painted just lightly dyed. 

Julie,

I usually do a wash with acrylic paint & water for a base coat. Depending on the thickness of the shingles, they may warp/curl, so I try not to get them too wet. They will normally flatten as they dry. Then, for added character, I go back and paint different colors on the shingles where I want them. 

I find the most desirable and realistic result is achieved by actually dying the shingles with powdered shingle dye. There will be instructions on the package. I think it comes in grey or brown. You basically dissolve the dye into a bucket of water, submerge the shingles - (wear rubber gloves for this! :) ), scoop the shingles out, and lay them out in a single layer to dry. While this may sound more involved than just painting them, it's great because 1) (and perhaps most importantly) the shingles have lots of natural variation without looking painted, 2) you can do a whole house worth (or more!) of shingles at once, 3) it's fast - other than dry time, it literally takes mere minutes. You also don't have to worry about missing painting a spot/edge/nook and/or cranny. If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, check there for shingle dye. Ours has it and with the 40% off coupon it's very affordable. 

• Like 1

Julie, I diluted interior latex paint with water for these shingles:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery_8_1103_87952.jpg  For aging wood I've had success with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and a few drops of India ink.