New to All of This

SpeedySloth

Hello! 
To keep it relatively brief and not bore you to death, I’m Andi. I am from South Florida and this is my first attempt at dollhouse-ing, save for being the privileged recipient of a magnificent dollhouse my Uncle handmade for me when I was a child. My mother gave me a dollhouse last week that needed “sprucing up”, so my daughter can enjoy it. A small sprucing as turned into sporadic madness that has resulted in me deciding it would be “fun” to strip it down and start all fresh! I have identified said house as Dolls House Emporium-Queen Anne. I am enjoying it as I go and already have 50 other ideas in my head (scary place to be) for the next projects I can’t wait to start! I’m hoping to learn all the handy tips and tricks from you talented kids! My biggest dilemma right now is how much I loathe the roof design on the house and really want to take a hammer to it but I may just settle for some fresh shingles instead, for sanity’s sake (my boyfriend’s, not mine). 
One piece of advice I’d really appreciate from the seasoned artists, when doing a “rehab” at what point do you decide something is beyond repair and not feel guilty about quitting the challenge? Say, furniture, for example. 

• Like 1

Hello!

Some frustration is bound to happen with any rehab, but if it becomes a chore and you hate it, then I say move on. I'll give something a lot of effort, but sometimes it's just not worth the headache.

Welcome to the little family, Andi.  I grew up in West Palm Beach.  I do rehabs in between builds and since I make most of my furniture, I quit trying to rehab something when it gets to be too much like work (a four-letter word).

Andi I tore the partially built Pierce apart and restarted. I was chomping at the bit to get to "exciting" stuff. Nothing more glamorous than using a heat gun and scraping off old glue. But No kept telling myself this is a process and take time to enjoy the process. I settled down and found I enjoyed it more.  Trying to rush put on unnecessary pressure. Disassembling was just as important and exciting as building.  Good luck!