Returning dollhouse addict

Rose

Hi everyone. I'm not new but I've been gone awhile. I don't know why because this is the only place that I can share my love for miniatures. No one in RL cares about it. 

When I was here last I was building my Queen Anne. I finished it and 5 years ago I had to sell it because I moved to a smaller place. I didn't want to sell it EVER. lol It broke my heart. A lot of work and love went into that house. Since then I haven't built another house because I don't want to go through that again. 2 years ago I started doing room boxes instead all the while wishing for a house. Well, last week I decided to build another house. I don't think I'll be moving again but if that happens, I have measured doorways to make sure I can get it out and it will sit in the middle of the Livingroom if need be.

The house is going to be the Garfield. You can tell by my houses that I like them big, huge. You can also probably tell that I like RGT houses. The Garfield kinda scares me. The house is beautiful but the wood is not. lol I've liked the Garfield since I began this hobby but I always pass it up because of the thin wood. My very first house was a Greenleaf and I really didn't like the way it went together. But it was my first house and I didn't know any better. My next house was the RGT Newport. I was hooked on RGT wood after that. The thing about RGT houses that I don't like, especially now that I have experience and knowledge in decorating, bashing, etc., is all the rooms are square. I'm tired of square. lol

As I said, I think the Garfield is beautiful. I know it's going to be a challenge for me because I'm a perfectionist. A crooked baseboard or crown moulding that doesn't fit together tightly at the angle really upsets me. lol I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of [non perfect] instances, with the Garfield, that are going to upset me. But I am mentally preparing myself. :) The house arrives on Tuesday. I have been reading blogs, looking at construction pictures and reading comments. I have a couple of preliminary questions. I want all different windows and maybe doors. I have seen a few comments about windows but not many. Apparently the window upgrade isn't available anymore. I have scoured the internet, ebay, etc. Has anyone used regular windows? The ones from Miniatures.com or any other site. They have 1/2 inch inset and the walls of the house are 1/8 inch correct? I know how to cut the window holes bigger but aren't they going to stick out either inside or outside because of the inset? I'm going to be putting siding on the house.  Has anyone used siding AND different windows? Do the windows fit better over the siding? I will probably answer my own question when I dry fit the house but if anyone has already done it please let me know. I will keep you updated on my nerves. lol The anticipation of something going wrong is usually worse than what actually happens. I have learned this over the years. I hope it is true this time. Wow! I'm REALLY nervous.:/  lol

• Like 1

Welcome back home, Rose.  When you get to moving your Garfield from place to place you're going to be glad of that thinner wood.  If you're going to use siding on the outside you can use matboard or card stock to make shims for the interior.  If you electrify you might think about using cardstock to paint or paper your walls, which would also add thickness to the interior for your window upgrades.  I just trace around the door and window openings and make new working doors and windows to fit the kit the way it is, so when I finally tackle my Garfield (still in its box) I know I will be busy a very long time.  You're going to dry fit, so you can adjust the fit to correct any problems.  You're going to use a good carpenter's wood glue, not hot glue, for the build and I have used steel staples to reinforce the corners.

Hi Holly. Thanks for the Welcome. Great idea on the staples. I have used staples before on one of my room box additions but I would not have thought to use them on a house. I guess with a Greenleaf house that is totally possible. Am I going to need a lot of spackle for this house? If so, should I get spackle or wood filler? I have pretty much everything on hand that I need to start building but no spackle or wood filler.

I don't llike wood filler because it's hard for me to sand and the "stainable" doesn't stain.  I like spackle, joint compound or drywall mud because it goes on easy and sands beautifully when dry.  I also can carve "stones" and "bricks" in it.

• Like 1