lrsafari

Survey - Providing replacement missing pieces as a service

This is Not a solicitation for service or sale. Just wanting to see if there is a need. If I am breaking any rules, I apologize.

This idea came when I realized one of the kits I have is missing pieces, and I have the laser to cut new ones. I have a background in aerospace design, as well as graphics for TV/Film. So the creation of the relatively simple drawings are easy.

As title says, is there a need for someone to make/cut missing or replacement parts? Specifically the flat sheet panels, walls, window frames, etc?

I have an 80W laser and can easily cut 3MM or thicker wood sheet. Determining if this makes financial sense to develop. Idea is someone can send me a clear scan with a ruler/scale so the piece(s) can be recreated then cut.

So, let me have it. Hare brained idea? Genius? Creative? Waste of time? Let me know your thoughts and I might be able to fill a need.... Or not.

Sounds brilliant to me. I guess it would depend if making one-off pieces was cost-effective to both the maker and the client.

If the kit was manufactured by a company no longer in business and no longer protected by copyrights I suppose it serves a purpose; there is a person/ company dba Manchester Woodworks that replaces parts of Dura-Craft kits, since Dura-Craft has been out of business many  years.  Otherwise I don't even want to think of the intellectual property violations!

I agree with Holly, if you're talking about reproducing pieces from Greenleaf kits or another manufacturer that's in business (even if the kit itself is out of production), it would be a copyright violation and we can't condone it here.

But if you're feeling adventurous you could come up with your own designs. We have a couple of members who make their own kits.

I would certainly see a need for custom cut parts. Often people want something specific otherwise not available.

Also, as far as I am aware, copying/reproducing 10% or less of something is OK (which is why books/texts/reports etc can be quoted in other books/texts/reports).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By vbharrington
      I bought a Beacon Hill kit from Craig's list and the seller assured me that all of the parts are there.  Since we were snowed in today, I thought I'd check off the sheets to make sure I did indeed have all of the pieces.  At first glance, I thought I was in the clear, then I realized that some door trims and stair bannisters were not in the box (they were supposed to be on sheets in widow and door cut outs, so I figure they may have been lost - but for $50 for the kit, cutting some trim wouldn't be a problem)  However, I am now missing sheet 14, which (on the schematics) has pieces of the Mansard Roof, two pieces of the tower roof, and various pieces of door trim, fireplace trim, and bay window trim.  But, the pieces of Mansard roof, and the tower roof are included in the box as cut into two thin pieces of veneer.  So, here's my question: Can anyone tell me if I am indeed missing sheet #14, or are the trims from that page on other sheets.  There was an additional sheet of paper that stated to use it (that sheet) to identify the Mansard roof, tower roof, and dormer sections instead of the original schematics.  However, it didn't mention the other pieces on the wood sheet #14.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  I need to know if I need to order a replacement sheet or not.  Thanks in advance.
    • By RedFig
      Hi!  I want to start off apologizing if this has already been asked.  I'm a complete newb when it comes to making dollhouses and I'm new to this site as well!
      I am ecstatic as I was recently given a Dura-Craft Columbian kit.  It was already half assembled and I've gotten a lot done already.  However, it seems there are a lot of pieces missing.  It seems mostly trim/decorative pieces which I can work around.  Unfortunately it's missing all the pieces for the stairs, front steps and the gable trim which I would really like to have.  I see Dura-Craft went out of business in 2005.  Is there anywhere to get these parts or any resources where I could download/buy the scaled pattern/blueprint to print off and cut myself?  Anyone know of any company that specializes in Dura-Craft replacement parts that might have these as well?  I did a quick search and I'm a little worried as I'm not finding much.
      Thanks!
    • By lissiab'shouse
      Hi,

My name is lissia I was given the Beacon Hill as a gift a few years ago, and it had some missing parts how do I go about ordering missing parts?
    • By hsouthard
      So I've put together the foundation pieces and went to put on the first floor but for some reason the nice, smooth finished side of the floor has to be put on face down instead of up. Did I do something wrong with the foundation pieces to where the floor is put on upside down or is that just a manufactor error. I plan on covering the floor with wood flooring so you wouldn't see it but I'm curious as to if this will put errors in the rest of the build. I've had to flip the nice finished side the opposite way on the foundation pieces so it would go together but covering those up as well with stone so I didn't think it was a big deal.
    • By dlhays
      I bought a glencroft kit on ebay. but there was only trim. nothing else.

I just bought another glencroft kit on ebay. The seller said the kit was new. it was not, it is missing a lot of pieces.

I really want to build this grencroft kit but I need some big pieces. I am messing the following sheets #1,#2, #3, # 5 and #13.

If anyone has any of these sheets I would like to buy them from you.

thank you

Dorothy