Amazon Alexa

KathieB

I have an Alexa Dot 3rd Generation -- 2, actually. I've managed to set up one of them yesterday. Got an update on news and weather this morning and listened to some Mozart and some soft Jazz while assembling hors d'ouevres and a salad for Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's. Pleasant.

Setting up the one Dot was a snap once I downloaded the app to my phone. Ran into some issues trying to set up a smart plug so as to control a lamp. The instructions are printed in what must be 4-point type. Even with magnifying glass they are hard to read. Gave up on it last night. Plan to scan the instructions and enlarge them before attempting round 2 this morning.

Any Alexa users in the house? Curious how you might use her once the novelty has worn off.

KathieB, I know very little about it but our smart plug no longer works because it is no longer compatible with the router or modem or something. My husband said we need to get a newer version of the smart plug. Maybe that’s your issue. 

46 minutes ago, Sable said:

... get a newer version of the smart plug. Maybe that’s your issue.

Hmmm... I wonder. I got the plugs when I got the Echo Dots, all from overstock.com.  Their inventory may not be as fresh as other places. My modem is 2 years old. Need to find a Geek. :D 

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Try googling your issue, usually there is someone who has had the same issue and it has been answered.

Great idea!

2 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Or a ten year old!

:doh: Of course! There's one across the street. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miniatures in Marble said:

Don't like the idea of people listening to me so no don't have one and won't get one

I understand where  you're coming from. When my sis found out I have Alexa, she pretty much said what you said, then told me of a two-pane; cartoon she saw recently. In the first panel were some folks in a 1950s setting expressing concern about the government spying on them. In the second panel the same folks, same pose, updated setting, Amazon Echo on table. Man is saying Alexa ....

• Like 2

My husband has one in practically every room of our small house, and it is kind of creepy when we are "freely" talking and these Dots start responding and talking as if they were right here with us, BUT on the other hand, besides the music, Amazon detail updates of order and tracking info, weather info, travel to work traffic info, reminders, timer help, and more, they turn on/off the garage door, turn on/off lights all over the house, turn on/off Christmas tree lights, give alerts about people on our driveway (you need cameras set up for this), and more, so I guess we are getting used to the intrusion with it ups and downs

I'm finding more uses for it, too. My shopping list, to do list, reminders for this and that, news in the morning, music whenever I feel the need, kitchen timer ... it's sort of like having an amiable roommate who doesn't leave wet towels on the bathroom floor. 

• Like 2