New in Wisconsin - Starting with a Fairfield Build

SimPenguin

Hi! I’ve been lurking a while but think I’m ready to commit now. ;) I haven’t built a dollhouse before but have done a lot of diorama building in 1/6 scale. I didn’t *intend* to build a dollhouse, but a few weeks back I was randomly googling around and saw someone’s Fairfield build and instantly knew it was the right house for me. I don’t think I can post pictures yet so I’ve started an album at my Flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/144333381@N04/albums/72157711471679943. Just a few pics now of my dry assemble. It’s probably going to be a while before any real construction starts as I am waiting for supplies and designing things. I have some structural changes I want to make and have a little more “how to” knowledge to gain before I tackle it. Until I have a good plan laid out I will probably hold off starting anything too involved.

Thanks to all of you amazing people for your extensive posts/discussions – I have learned SO MUCH already from the experiences of others who have gone before me!

- Melissa -

I don’t think I’m going to do brick. There is a very famous Fairfield on the internet that captures this look almost exactly and I’m afraid I am going to be slightly unethical and largely copy that artist’s exterior plan. I have no idea what the real house looks like inside so mine will be original. I plan to use William Morris paper in most every room. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Melissa.  My McKinley wanted to be my William Morris house.  I built two Fairfields to be halves of a Bar Harbor summer cottage, building one of them inside out so on the outside they look like mirror images of each other.  I did some modifying of the insides, hanging a Foucault's Pendulum from the top of the tower in one and adding a staircase to the third floor in the other and extending the tower's walls to make a utility/ bathroom.

Just now, mininecessities said:

Welcome Melissa! You are going to love 1:12 scale! There is a much bigger market out there for 1:12 scale than any other scale.  Love the Faifield. You will have fun!  

She may love 1:12 when she gets a 1:12 kit, but the Fairfield is 1:24.

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

She may love 1:12 when she gets a 1:12 kit, but the Fairfield is 1:24.

Oh Holly, just like me to do that. :dunce:  I thought I should have checked first but thought oh surely it is 1:12.  I stand corrected! One thing about 1:24 they don't take near the room so you can have more :cucumber:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mininecessities said:

Welcome Melissa! You are going to love 1:12 scale! There is a much bigger market out there for 1:12 scale than any other scale.  Love the Faifield. You will have fun!  

This is exactly why I went with 1:24 - If I had all the amazing things available in 1:12 at my disposal, I would have to move into the dollhouse myself because I would be BANKRUPT and homeless. :) I had to level the playing field just a bit before heading off into a new hobby. 1:24 should keep me honest. I hope to make many things myself.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019, 8:17:21, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Melissa.  My McKinley wanted to be my William Morris house.  I built two Fairfields to be halves of a Bar Harbor summer cottage, building one of them inside out so on the outside they look like mirror images of each other.  I did some modifying of the insides, hanging a Foucault's Pendulum from the top of the tower in one and adding a staircase to the third floor in the other and extending the tower's walls to make a utility/ bathroom.

That's really interesting! I enjoyed the pictures in your albums!

As I have mentioned in other posts, I made up a few 1:24 furniture kits and I also made 1:24 versions of my 1:12 dolls, so I was $hocked and somewhat heartbroken when I put all my pretty little purchased sets of "1:24" furniture in place only to discover it was much too small!  The hubs & I measured & found it to be closer to 1:32.  If you can find all your people & accessories in scale with the smaller stuff I'm sure it would look just fine, but I had the made things that fit just dandy, so I donated the itty stuff to a member who wanted to work with that small size and I went on a bender making 1:24 furniture.  Another of our members was starting to work in 1:24 crochet and she made me those beautiful dining room linens:

medium.diningroom.JPG.5db0512a653ccab0e5

BTW, HO scale culverts make good chimney breasts for 1:24 scale:

med_gallery_8_3404_175154.jpg

2 hours ago, SimPenguin said:

This is exactly why I went with 1:24 - If I had all the amazing things available in 1:12 at my disposal, I would have to move into the dollhouse myself because I would be BANKRUPT and homeless

I had to laugh at this. I would also go overboard if I could buy everything in half scale that one can buy in 1:12.  You can still end up spending money on 1:24 scale, though.  Once you're bitten by the miniature bug, you just want more, and making your own items can be incredibly satisfying.  :)  I was going to do just one dollhouse.  Three houses and three roomboxes (one completely scratch built, including all contents) later, I am still coming up with new things to make and have a whole stash of strip wood and other building materials, fabrics, trims, fingernail art (which I use quite a lot of in half scale), charms, beads. . . . 

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

As I have mentioned in other posts, I made up a few 1:24 furniture kits and I also made 1:24 versions of my 1:12 dolls, so I was $hocked and somewhat heartbroken when I put all my pretty little purchased sets of "1:24" furniture in place only to discover it was much too small!  The hubs & I measured & found it to be closer to 1:32.  If you can find all your people & accessories in scale with the smaller stuff I'm sure it would look just fine, but I had the made things that fit just dandy, so I donated the itty stuff to a member who wanted to work with that small size and I went on a bender making 1:24 furniture.  Another of our members was starting to work in 1:24 crochet and she made me those beautiful dining room linens:

medium.diningroom.JPG.5db0512a653ccab0e5

BTW, HO scale culverts make good chimney breasts for 1:24 scale:

med_gallery_8_3404_175154.jpg

Love that Holly! I never thought of that, putting it on the inside. Looks great! I use Dry Wall Compound which is pretty much the same thing. But I think people call it Spackle also yet actual wood Spackle comes in tiny jars and is different. Isn't that the brand name of wood Spackle?  I don't know lol. It has been so long since I was actually out shopping I probably have no idea what I am talking about.  I got my last dry wall compound in a fairly sized jug. It lasts for like forever and goes a long way. HMM  maybe I kind of remember Spackle brand has a dry wall compound they sell too.  Anyway I found it fun to put on :) 

Holly, I know what you mean about scale. There are quite a few mini's out there like that. It is so disappointing! 

I have some pieces of 1:24 furniture I have hoarded from years ago. It is so cute and nice quality. I haven't checked it for how good the scale is. I kind of wish I had started in 1:24 scale because I live in a small house :eek: And it seems every year they come out with more and more quality !;24 scale. I have too much 1:12 stuff I have collected so I am trapped, But I bet I could find room around here for a !:24 scale house :cucumber:

8 hours ago, SimPenguin said:

This is exactly why I went with 1:24 - If I had all the amazing things available in 1:12 at my disposal, I would have to move into the dollhouse myself because I would be BANKRUPT and homeless. :) I had to level the playing field just a bit before heading off into a new hobby. 1:24 should keep me honest. I hope to make many things myself.

Yeah to be honest I am a little sorry. I have too many houses and mini's in this small house. Truth be, I want it all, all the scales LOL  You will have fun making things yes indeed. There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube. I could watch them all day.  ha and sometimes do. I hope I retained something.  I look forward to seeing your photos Melissa!

Dap makes both spackle and dry wall/ joint compound.  I use those now as much as spackle.  Is there a separate wood spackle?  I have used wood putty, which came in a small container, but it didn't work for me and I now make my own from wood glue & clean sawdust.

It might have been Spackle brand wood putty ? LOL  I don't know. I am so confused, my own fault for not being careful what I remember haha...or what I say. Dap sounds familiar......might be the brand of dry wall compound I have. I could just look in my gallery but with over 200 photos on the Garfield it is daunting. That is so awesome Holly that you make your own Wood Putty!! That stuff is spendy it seems........and dries out quickly. or at least too quick for me. Sometimes it takes me so long to get to a project my materials have dried out or hardened.  

When you make your own you stain the mix to match what you use it on.  I mix wee batches to fill whatever project I'm working on, because even measuring twice & cutting once sometimes it ain't perfect (I haven't had to use any on the 1:24 pieces).  Dap comes in a red & white plastic tub.  I put a piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper over the top before hammering the lid back on & it seems to last longer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...