Howdy! This is my first dollhouse rodeo!

JesseJane

Hello! I am Jessica and I just got a dollhouse project that was started by someone else in 1979. It is my first dollhouse and i am excited and nervous all at the same time. It is a 3 story house that is unfinished but came with most of the parts that it still needs. I will need help identifying it because the parts list is the only hint i have as to what kind of house it is. The paper says 'queen anne' but the frame and layout do not match anything that has come up in my searches. Someone told me that it might be a toadstool productions dollhouse but finding a picture of one of those is like a needle in a haystack. I have quite a few plans for this house but would really like a visual on how it is supposed to be finished. It is an overwhelming thought to just hop in and free style, but that might be just what i do! Once i can upload pictures I definitely will because any and all help/input is appreciated.

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Jessica.  Considering how many of us take the basic Greenleaf kits out of the box and bash and tweak them to "freestyle" whatever they decide they want to become, I don't think "how it is supposed to be finished" really fits.

I have never done anything like this before so I would be more comfortable tweaking and free styling after I get down the basics. So without knowing how something is supposed to be it definitely leaves me more in the dark on how to really expand and do other things. I have never even seen a dollhouse not put together until I got the one I have. I have never seen a dollhouse kit outside of the one in the hobby lobby where I live, so this entire process is very intimidating. I literally dont even know what tools I need, I just know that i like miniatures and i found a free dollhouse to finally try things on. The likely hood of me ever having another project is very slim, so this is precious to me and I don't want to go in blind.

4 minutes ago, JesseJane said:

...The likely hood of me ever having another project is very slim...

Gee, that's what I thought over 30 years ago when the hubs & I built a dollhouse (from scratch) for our eldest granddaughter...

My basic tools are something to cut with (I'm partial to Stanley utility knives with LOTS of SHARP new blades, because they can be retracted when not being used) and a cork-backed steel ruler for cutting straight lines, a miter box and a small pull saw with teeth along both sides I found at the hardware store (I later got a Miter Master from Micro Mark to use for strip wood and molding); blue painters' tape for holding things together (I'm really big on dry fitting parts together before I commit anything to glue) and white Elmer's all-purpose glue for everything that isn't wood; I use Tite-bond wood glue for wood-to-wood joins.  El cheapo emery boards make lovely sanding tools.

Welcome Jessica! You'll be an ol pro bashing houses right and left in no time! Yes it is intimidating but it is only wood and new pieces can be cut if the first  one gets messed up. Gee I wonder how I know that!!:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, otterine said:

That's a Queen Anne by Carlson's Miniatures. I found a partial kit years ago that didn't have the frames. I still have some of the spare parts if you find you need anything.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/queen-anne

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I cannot say it enough!!! Right now I know that I need some siding but once I do some research and figure out what else i have I am DEFINITELY going to get with you. Again, THANK YOU!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JesseJane said:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I cannot say it enough!!! Right now I know that I need some siding but once I do some research and figure out what else i have I am DEFINITELY going to get with you. Again, THANK YOU!

You're very welcome!  :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome Jessica! One thing that helped me on my dollhouses was to mark each and ever tiny piece before I punched it out. Had I not done that I probably would have freaked and quit LOL  by the way, the only Right way for you to do your house is YOUR way! Just have fun. No one is going to criticize you.........Most of love the Tweaked Me Style way.  Unless you are really serious about making an exact replica. I probably couldn't do that. Just have fun and share! You will get lots of help on here!

On 10/1/2019, 7:20:43, havanaholly said:

If you have a paper chopper siding can be easily made from posterboard or flattened cereal boxes.

I love this idea Holly! My first house we did so long ago, and didn't know there were pre made siding, that we sawed down thin slices and they were actually too thick. I am going to use the card stock on one of my houses, if I ever get there :) I plastered my Garfield and though I like it, I mostly did it out of laziness haha

• 3 weeks later...