Total Newbie

kelpieprince

Hi everyone! My name is Nikki and I am a complete beginner. I used to build dollhouses and roomboxes out of cardboard as a kid and always longed to build "real" ones, but I don't have carpentry skills (or money to buy pre-made rooms). I've decided to learn to build them, even if it takes me a long time. It's overwhelming looking at blogs and websites full of beautiful projects! I'm having trouble finding resources for a total beginner (ie, someone who does NOT know how to use a jigsaw). I want to build 1:12 roomboxes and maybe someday a full dollhouse. I've found some information on how to build rooms out of foamcore--is that something you recommend for someone like me? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to seeing all the amazing projects on here and getting to know the community!

Welcome to the little family, Nicholas.  Foamcore boxes can be glued (and also pinned with steel dressmakers' pins) to make sturdy structures; builders' foam is more rigid, so would be stronger.  If you play with making papermache even corrugated boxes can be reinforced with it to make sturdy boxes.  Your idea is a good one to experiment with getting scale right, handling and using various materials and techniques.  I use a utility knife with lots of retractable blades to build the Greenleaf dollhouse kits, not a jigsaw.  I started out at age 50 with no carpentry or cabinetry skills or experience, although as a little girl I scavenged shoeboxes and any other boxes I could get my paws on and made dollhouses, pueblos and the occasional monastery.  Matboard is also lovely for making architectural doodads and furniture.

• 2 months later...