Another newbie

PariahDolls

Hello all, I’m Simon from Nottingham in the UK (and my state is always utter bewilderment).

I found this site today and after reading a few posts I realised it’d be a good idea to join you and thought you might like to see my very early Work in Progress.

It has been about 25 years since I last built a Dollhouse and that was a medium sized kit I built for my daughter. After years of deliberating I have finally decided to design one for myself.

It will be an open top house (I hope they OK with you folks) and is going to be a New York style apartment.

94cMpzl.jpg

I’m making the side section hinged so that the rooms are more easily accessible and yes, I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ll be adding floor joists that appear when it’s open.

There will be a fire escape to the back wall outside the windows. Luckily I have a 3D printer so I can make quite a few custom pieces as I need them. All the parts for that are now printed and ready to file/sand/tidy and then assemble.

9BvrNBv.png

So, early stages as yet (I’m having the panels laser cut by a local company) and it’ll be nice to spend some time getting it just how I envisage it to be.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Simon

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PariahDolls said:

I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ll be adding floor joists that appear when it’s open.

There will be a fire escape to the back wall outside the windows. Luckily I have a 3D printer so I can make quite a few custom pieces as I need them. All the parts for that are now printed and ready to file/sand/tidy and then assemble.

Yes, adding floor joists falls under the categorization "glutton for punishment" lol.

I'm interested to see the whole project as it goes along but am especially interested in how you do that fire escape. I have a tall house that I want to do up as a kind of run-down 1930s tenement building / boarding house. I'd hoped to figure out a way to do a convincing fire escape on one side, so I'll be watching that with particular interest. Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Simon.  Will you be using MDF or plywood for your build?  You can use strip wood to simulate the joists.

Thanks! It’s mainly 6mm MDF and yes, I’ve planned on using strip wood for the joists. :) 

44 minutes ago, Kells said:

I have a tall house that I want to do up as a kind of run-down 1930s tenement building / boarding house. I'd hoped to figure out a way to do a convincing fire escape on one side, so I'll be watching that with particular interest. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you. It’s quite nerdy of me but I tracked down the 1938 Building Code for fire escapes so I’d get the dimensions close (but in thicknesses to suit the printing process and avoiding fragility). 

I design architectural steelwork as my day job (staircases, balconies, balustrade etc). So getting that bit right is important to me. :)