Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
I just acquired a mostly-built RGT 1/2” scale East Side Townhouse. The seller included a bag of trim, which I haven’t looked at yet, but the house is all put together, window frames in, shingles applied, and exterior painted/finished. The main thing I want to do with the outside is to re-surface all the exterior walls with paperclay. At present there is paint on about half, and a stone paper applied to the rest. I have actually spent some time in New York brownstones (on the East Side, even!), and this isn’t what they look like.
So, I have several questions to put out—I think I know what I want to do, but want to hear others’ opinions about methods and so on. I have found an excellent paperclay tutorial linked within posts on this forum. The natural color of brownstone varies—it is actually a type of sandstone—but would it be better to pre-color the paperclay medium before rolling it out, to a sort of baseline dark reddish-brown color, and then do color washes to achieve the variations? Or should the paperclay go on, get texturized, and dry, before any paint is applied? (And is ordinary acrylic paint the right thing to use?)
As I said above, most trim has already gone on. With a thickness of 1/8” to the paperclay, will the trim (especially window frames) look too recessed? I have to look at some more photos to refresh my memory, but my recollection is that windows are set right into the blocks of stone in the NY brownstones. So this may be a moot point.
I will now attempt to include a photo, but since I didn’t review the procedure before starting this post, bear with me!
So I decided to start building my Newport today. I've had it for about a year or so. I got it off of ebay for about half the price =) It comes with a bunch of wallpaper as well which is a nice bonus.
Got the first floor of the shell done. =) My nephew helped with the bay part as I have trouble with those darn pieces they fit into. They look the same to me =p
With the questions I ask, I must sound like I can't make a decision on my own, lol. So here's another dilemma. Here are pics of a house that gives me grief.
The base gives the house a basement (mostly unusable because it is so deep), but also raises the house up to a viewable level. The problem is that the base was constructed entirely of 3/4" thick plywood, even the doors. It does give extra storage so there's that, but three strong men struggle to move it.
The house lifts off the base and the roof lifts off the house, so no part of the house itself is more than 28" high. This makes it easy to get through standard interior doorways. That base piece though, oh my, is it ever an unwieldy monster. I've never had a more inconvenient dollhouse.
I've thought of chopping off the base of the house all the way around right where it meets that base piece (basically where house meets grass). Essentially, I'd be leaving a faux foundation. I could then just set the house unattached onto a landscaped piece of plywood. That'd give me a yard but no basement.
Part of me hates to ditch a base piece so well built (it is STURDY!) but the base weighs more than a piano and makes the dimensions 54" by 54". As built, it needs to sit in the middle of a room so there is space to walk around it to work on it. And as pointed out, once in place there's no moving it without great difficulty!
What are your thoughts on cutting off the full basement and leaving only a 2-3" foundation set onto a new base piece?
Oh, and not that it matters but those openings have walls with windows, making it a completely enclosed house. I just never got around to hinging them into place. Another project, sigh. :/
While searching for dollhouse kits locally (which includes my entire state! Woah!) I found somebody selling this already built but (a little) damaged Foxhall Manor by Real Good Toys.
The shingles are broken, but terrible so they are coming off. The conservatory was painted a bright yellow so I'm going to both tone It down with some white paint, and place a very high wainscotting trim on the room. On the room It looks like spilled white paint (or maybe? glue). There are broken stairs, rails in the Grand Hall. It looks like real sized carpet was used.
All I can see however is The Potential: I've got this hand crafted doll by an I.G.M.A. Artist named Eliza and this is going to be her home. I'm thinking of painting the roof black and later shingling it. The house either a dusky lavender or a dusky rose pink. Black trim. Dark grey and deep cream for accent colors.
Only Artisan pieces and furniture inside this home! I cannot wait to start collecting, but I first must finish some Layaways in 1:24 scale. Already an Artisan member here has offered me a stunning rug that will have the pride of place in one of the rooms.
It's going to take years, but it will be beautiful when it's finished.
It needs Help and LOVE! But it is only: $40! I'm stunned.
Going to hopefully pick it up next week. My friend is going to be taking me over to get it. I know that it is HUGE (it comes with the Conservatory and the two-story addition, but the staircases are missing, plus the (looking at the front) left side front-opening door.
I've measured my desk: it fits! But only a foot more in length is available to work. I'm cleaning up my Craft Room this week and getting ready to bring my find home hopefully next week.
I'm so THRILLED!
There are Members that find these incredible Dollhouses for incredible prices, but I NEVER dreamed that I could ever be one.