Buying the assembled Queen Anne

asherah

I was considering buying the Queen anne from a shop that was assembled and had the outside completed already. I just wasn't sure if I would be able to reach into all the areas to complete the inside? Anyone have any idea? It would be a shame if I couldn't finish a room.

Thanks

Amanda

RGT's Queen Anne is a monster of a house, but so beautiful. I've rehabbed a good number of already built dollhouses, and some were in pretty sorry shape! It's definitely possible. The magic word is TEMPLATES. And honestly, with all the angled walls under the roof and in the tower room, you'd probably have to do them whether it was built or not.

I Googled for tutorials on the method I use to make wallpaper templates for a dollhouse but didn't find what I was looking for. It wasn't an exhaustive search so you may have better luck than I.

An illustrated tutorial would be best but I'll try to quickly describe the method. Create a close approximation of a wall on paper (plain paper, don't waste your wallpaper yet!). Better to be a bit shorter in the dimensions than over. I'll explain that in a second. You can do this by measuring a wall's length and height, measure doors and windows (outside the casing, if that's already installed), and get those onto the paper. Now put that template against the wall. I guarantee no matter how well you measured, it won't be a perfect fit.

Get a pad of Post-Its and start filling in the gaps. With the template against the wall, place an edge of the Post-It against the casing, floor, ceiling, edge of the wall, etc. Place the sticky edge onto your basic paper template.

When you take that mess of paper and Post-Its out, turn it over. What you'll have is an accurate template to cut your wallpaper. Turn that wallpaper so the pattern is face down (mind that you have the vertical/horizontal correct or you'll end up with sideways wallpaper!). Lay your template over that. I use a good metal straight edge and line it up to the edges of the paper/Post-Its. Don't try to cut using only the paper template because you're almost certain to cut into the template and hence into your wallpaper underneath.

On the farthest wall from you - I can't call it the "rear" wall because it's the front of the house - be sure to leave 1/4" extra on both sides. You'll fold those to overlap onto the adjoining walls to either side. This prevents those annoying tiny gaps from showing and makes your wallpapering look seamless.

Maybe someone knows where that tutorial using Post-Its is. I sure didn't come up with the method. It's late for me but I'll have a look tomorrow if no one comes up with it first. Seeing the tutorial with pictures helps a lot. My explanation probably makes no sense at all. :ermm:

I forget who posted the Post-It method.  For an already assembled house I'm partial to taking a sheet of scrap paper (those extra sheets the printer insists on spitting out are perfect) and laying it against the wall and holding it in place with one hand and pressing along the corners with a fingernail.  I do try to remove the doors and windows and their trims whenever possible, since they usually need repainting and there's no way I can paint them in place; so I also press with the pad of my finger around the window and door openings.  I like to use a cork-backed steel ruler and a utility knife for cutting.

• Like 1

wow great advice thanks a lot =) I am thinking about. It's so beautiful but I'm nervous. haha, I had the Alexandria finished but I gave out to a charity shop. I lost a couple of roof pieces for it tho, unfortunately. I checked the measurements for both and it's definitely a little bigger than the alex. Tho I have no idea how I would ever get that house moved when they delivered it haha.

Since I'm Canadian there is a shop in Canada that builds houses and sells them. Here's the link to one of hte Queen anne's. 

http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/assembled-dollhouses-c-1_22/assembled-queen-anne-dollhouse-p-10871

I can't imagine what the shipping would be tho since it weighs 87lbs.

Please tell me that is not the actual house you're considering. Yes, it's beautiful. It's also priced about ten times higher than you could get it with a little patience and watching Ebay.

Even if that were finished on the interior with the finest craftsmanship possible, there is pretty much no way a Real Good Toys kit could command a price of $8,000. For that house, with an unfinished interior, I'd say a MAX of maybe $1,500. And even then I'd demand it be pre-wired for electricity. And split the cost of shipping with me. The worst they could do is say no.

I had to look around their site a bit more. I have a headache now. I'm not trying to be rude but they are insane. They were asking $7,900 for this house.

http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/assembled-dollhouses-c-1_22/real-good-toys-2201-assembled-frontopening-federal-dollhouse-p-13207

I got that exact same house at a thrift store for $75. Beautifully made, all I had to do was re-paint the exterior and re-do the interior. That probably cost another $75-$100. And I daresay, my interiors looked a darn sight better than theirs!

Have you considered just buying the Queen Anne kit? I would bet money there are tips and tutorials galore on the Internet how to build it. Probably right on this forum. Real Good Toys kits are a dream to work with, they really are. I wouldn't say a house like that just requires a little glue, a little paint.... but it's certainly possible for a non-expert with a little patience.

Oh, and speaking of tutorials, I could not find the one utilizing post-its to make wallpaper templates. I found that half my saved links for tutorials no longer work. I've been using that method for ages, so the tutorial I used is probably long gone.

This house is expensive and a lot of work to put together. And its not like I have a way of going to pick one up either and there is no way I get one shipped to me on ebay. At least I don't think so. I imagine a business would charge less for shipping than someone on ebay but what do I know.

I can understand that, and I also understand really, really wanting a certain dollhouse. Boy do I ever! Please don't feel like I'm stomping on a dream, it's just that I see that house regularly and I know that is absolutely not a fair price for it. Here's one on Ebay fully electrified, decorated, furnished, etc. for what I consider still too high a price, but a lot less than $7,999.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302642462441?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

BTW, that seller has ZERO feedback so don't buy that house. Take it from my experience.

As for shipping, one can always contact a seller and ask if they'd let a freight company pick up the house. Many sellers don't know that kind of service exists, which is why they say Local Pick-up Only. I've used Craters & Freighters before and they were great. Not cheap, not by a long shot, but they make it possible to get what you want.

There are other companies out there that do the same thing, it's a big business. People buy and ship antique furniture all the time, for example.

You pay the freighting company directly. An individual seller can't charge more than a business would; they have nothing to do with it. They're not packing it, moving it, they're not doing anything but letting the freight company come get the item. You pay the freighting company for shipping, not the seller.

That makes it easy for a seller, which is why many are willing to do it once you ask and explain how it works. Some still won't, so okay, wait for the next one. I would never list anything as Pick-up Only. What do I care if someone wants to pay to have something picked up and shipped?

You may want to look up a few freighting companies. Try looking for companies that ship antique furniture. I can't remember the names of any, but they're often referenced in Ebay listings.

And lastly, I agree re: building the house. It was just a suggestion but honestly, I wouldn't want to do it either!

Forgot, here's a link to Craters & Freighters. You just send them an Ebay link and they'll give you an estimate of what shipping would cost. You could try it with that house that's currently listed, just to get an idea. They'll probably want dimensions, but you can get those from RGT's website. They quote all the time whether you've bought an item or not. They understand that the cost of shipping can weigh on a person's decision whether to buy something or not.

https://www.cratersandfreighters.com/

It's worth doing to get an idea. You'd likely find a business using them just like an individual would. In fact, that's the majority of their business. They work with antique dealers all over the country. I doubt that dollhouse company has its own shipping business. They're using someone, just like an individual seller would.

Just looked it up. Craters & Freighters ships to Canada.