Kit Bashing & Building in general

DDown

Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone can give me tips on bashing the Garfield house? How do I identify the load bearing walls so the house doesnt come down on me? And i'm gonna assume you cut apart the walls before building? I know I'm breaking all the rules and looking into "bashing" when I have 0 experience, but I'm looking into taking the plunge

I always assemble the kit first using blue painter's tape or masking tape (called the dry fit) and then I let it tell me what it wants.  Once it's in dry fit you can see which walls are load-bearing (columns will open the space and still keep upstairs from crashing down on your little people's heads).  I also find it helps me decide the order I want to work in, because some areas work better to build first, then decorate, whilst others may need to be decorated before assembling with glue.  I have also been known to disassemble (a bear once the glue is dry) and put it back into dry fit because the house wants something else it didn't tell me about the first time.  I have a Garfield waiting in the wings, with about  half dozen others ahead of it in line (not to mention the rehabs waiting their turns).

Why not post us an intro in the Newcomers' Forum and let us know how you got into building dollhouses?  Trust me, there will be more than one.

So what is your Garfield telling you it wants?  The Pierce I was rehabbing wanted one of its towers extended up another level to accommodate a gazebo on the second floor, off the master bedroom.  I couldn't wrap my head around how to provide fourth floor access to the tower and compromised by making templates for adding a conservatory to the first floor and a rooftop garden atop off the master bedroom; I haven't mentioned this in the Garfield's presence, as I have a Lily that demands becoming a Tuscan villaand a Dura-Craft Newburg that simply wants to be built and have the Small family move in.

• Like 1

I dont have my garfield yet, I will only get it at Christmas. I plan to make it for my daughter to play with, so I already know I want to open it up more so it's not closed in as much. 

On 09/07/2019, 22:04:13, Sable said:

You could make a cutout into a structural wall which would still give it the needed strength while providing a viewable option. Please see the attached:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=122430

That's smart! I might give that a whirl when I finally have the dollhouse to play with.

Below is a small-scale Garfield but the simplified interior would work on 1/12. It is much more accessible. The staircase has been left out so I don't know how you'd feel about that. It does make that front room accessible though. The arched walls in the left-hand side rooms provide a structural wall like Sable mentioned. The wood is thin so you'll definitely need something, otherwise the upper floors will sag eventually.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=2812

gallery_125_36_256482.jpg

I have opened up rooms and used a column to support the house, but these were smaller (not too complicated) houses. Another idea is to put channel molding on one edge of the wall that has the cutout - it would act like a column and strengthen the wall a lot. 

Enjoy this time of anticipation... sometimes I am so excited about a dh that I can't get to sleep!

That's how I have been! All I do is look at sales for tools and how-to videos. I am so tempted to get a kit in the mean time so that I can practice and make sure I don't screw up the Garfield. But I am asking for my tools for Christmas cause I can't really afford them or a kit right now.