Greenleaf Products, plus some questions

Kells

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Is it me, or do those grout lines look awfully out of scale, like the Magik Brik?

It might be, I'd have to see it in person. I think graying the mortar lines and softening that red brick color would help a lot. The only thing that helps Magic Brik is a scraper.

Is Mayberry Street a proprietary brand to Hobby Lobby? This is the first time I've heard of it, but then I've never seen the inside of a Hobby Lobby.

15 hours ago, KellyA said:

Thank you Bobie, and with a pic even! I will look into that. I can see how that could be aged easily enough. I don't mind if I even have to age every brick by hand, I just don't want to MAKE every brick by hand!

Interesting you mentioned that you used the rear side to imprint paperclay. I have thought of doing that with Plastruct's brick sheets.

Did the sheet stick to the paperclay at all? I had wondered if it needed to be coated or sprayed with something like vaseline or PAM first so it wouldn't pull up or mis-shape the paperclay. But maybe those would make it too oily and who knows how it would take paint after that. Or did you just press in the pattern and pull it up, no non-stick coating required?

The sheets are pretty sturdy, not flimsy. And no sticking when I used the back as a template on the paperclay. Here's a pic of the fireplace in a Greenleaf Brookwood. You can see the paperclay, and also if you look inside the fireplace you can see what I did with the brick (same sheets of brick as shown in the other pic above). EDIT: I was trying to upload the pic but keep getting errors, I can try again later from my other PC.

@Holly..I hadn't noticed that really, but I'm going to take another look. The photo is from my Keystone of Boston. The grout lines are VERY white though I can tell ya. 

@Kelly...I'm not really sure about the brand, but I have a Hobby Lobby close to me and ZERO dollhouse shops in my town, so it's my only go-to for miniature supplies (other than regular craft stores). Plus they do a 40% off coupon every week LOL (online too!). The rest of my dollhouse stuff I have get online/eBay or thrift shops/estate sales.

• Like 1

Trying a pic again....Its paperclay with the back of the brick imprint on it. The front of the fireplace has seashells in it - I'm making a Brookwood into a beach house. The insides of the fireplace is the same red brick sheet but pained/washed

20190301_182157.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

@Samusaused the vinyl....edit they were the common brick sheets...... brick sheets from Houseworks in her tenant apartment. She toned them down, and they look terrific

Went to look at that pic, and yes they look great! Weight is the problem. I have a six-foot long Victorian entirely bricked in that Houseworks brick-on-mesh product (I didn't do it) and it practically requires a crane to move it.

4 hours ago, Island-Shack said:

Trying a pic again....Its paperclay with the back of the brick imprint on it. The front of the fireplace has seashells in it - I'm making a Brookwood into a beach house. The insides of the fireplace is the same red brick sheet but pained/washed

That looks great! Thank you for sharing that picture. I have often wondered why one couldn't just impress the bricks from one of those sheets onto paperclay. Why I didn't just buy one and try it, I'll never know. Like I said in an earlier post, there comes a point where a person can't buy one of everything on the market just to see what it looks like, lol. Also great to see that brick sheet painted and washed. These are definitely possibilities.

Not to get off topic (sort of), but I wonder if one could paperclay that brick method over milled-in siding? I wonder if anyone's ever done that? I have a kit that I have long wished I could brick over the siding. It would either work and get me the house I'd love to have, or I would completely ruin a fairly expensive kit. I got it pretty cheap but still, it would be a shameful waste of a nice house.

Here's a mock-up I did ages ago of what I'd love to do that house. It doesn't come with a porch. I would add that French Quarter gallery and of course it shows my bricking over the milled-in siding, if that's even possible. The second floor door is a paste-in of the one I'd use, which is why it's a different color.

Let's see if anyone can guess what kit this started out as! :)

Brick over Clapboard.jpg

Kelly, if you have a scrap piece of the milled-in siding you could do a test; first cover the siding with spackle or joint compound and smooth it out and sand it when dry, then do your paperclay over that.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019, 10:04:35, Sable said:

I used paperclay and mixed it with water to give it a frosting consistency to use over a plastic template for the brick on my Betsy Ross house.

I looked at your galleries (nice stuff btw!) but I didn't see a Betsy Ross house. Did I miss it?

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Kelly, if you have a scrap piece of the milled-in siding you could do a test; first cover the siding with spackle or joint compound and smooth it out and sand it when dry, then do your paperclay over that.

I have loads of those siding sheets that came with various houses or mixed lots. I never use it because even on Lawbre's finely finished houses you can see the seam every 3". I need to get some more paperclay to give this a try, and I just found out my spackle/joint compound has dried out hard as concrete. Argh, it's always something.