Making 1:24 scale wallpaper

acherrera3

I am finally working on my RGT Miniature display that has been sitting in the box for three years. I am not really seeing the patterns and colors that I would like for my wallpaper., and am thinking of making my own. For those of you who have printed your own wallpaper, what kind of paper do you use? Also, when resizing what percentage or pixel amount (verticle & horizontal) do you use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I use a high-quality paper, currently Epson Premium Presentation Paper - Matte.  The colors are more vivid, the images are crisper, and (knock wood) I have not had any issues with fading. I also spray with a matte sealer once printed.  Sizing I kind of do by eye.  I can't give an exact percentage, because the size of the original images will vary.  However, if the wallpaper I've chosen has pattern repeat information, I will try sizing to that (so, if a pattern repeat is 18", I'll make mine 3/4" and see what I think).  Please note:  I work in half scale; if you're doing 1:12, then an 18" repeat would be 1.5".  I always work in Word, and one thing I've found I have to be very careful of is Word compressing the images when I shrink them.  If you are using Word, please be sure to go to File/Options/Advanced, and under "Image Size and Quality," make sure "Do not compress images in this file" is checked, and the Output is set to the maximum PPI (this will vary with your version of Word).  The file will end up being larger, but the quality will be worth it.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

If you are using Word, please be sure to go to File/Options/Advanced, and under "Image Size and Quality," make sure "Do not compress images in this file" is checked, and the Output is set to the maximum PPI (this will vary with your version of Word).  The file will end up being larger, but the quality will be worth it.  Hope this helps.

Good to know! I tried the Word method once and it didn’t work, but assuming your tip would help immensely!

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

If I had paid attention to the title of your post, I would have realized that.  :)

On the other hand, it's extremely helpful info for folks working in 1:12.

• Like 1

I use TouchDraw on my iPad, which works a lot like the (old) Adobe Illustrator. I use different papers for different effects, but generally I use a good quality light card stock. I let it sit for 24 hours and then spray it with a mat sealer, letting it sit another 24 hours to dry before using the paper. I always make several more sheets than I think I will need because something always goes wrong at some point.  It’s a slow process, but I’ve been happy with the results and have not experienced any fading.

• Like 1