I finally got it! I'm building my first house, the Orchid.  I literally sat and stressed for hours yesterday about the stairs, which were horrible and splintery and way too big really for the housel. So I found angieaug's video on youtube and the lightbulb went on. I cobbled together a set this morning that fits like I want and she made it easy as pie. Eating pie that is, lol. So thanks to her! They are drying but I need to figure out wallpaper and stuff before I put them in permanently. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Boden
      Hi Everyone,
      I need a little help with the Orchid's double hung windows and staining/paint the surrounding walls. Sorry if a simliar question has been asked before, but I could not find an previous blog post.
      For part B of assembly, the directions say that the "portion of the wood surrounding the window opening, both interior and exterior, should be finsihed as the sashes have been (i.e. paint or stain) before gluing the sashes in place."
      (I stained my window sashes a dark brown, but I plan to paint the exterior a light blue. For the interior I want to do stucco.)
      So my question: how do I measure how much I should stain around the window on the house's walls? When I look at pictures of finished Orchids online it's not obvious to me that everyone has followed this direction. Is it really that important?
      -Sarah
    • By third_hand
      Hi everyone! I've had a long quiet period on here, but I've been steadily working away and going to shows/shops (I was at Good Sam in San Jose and was fortunate to visit Dollhouses, Trains, and More in Novato, CA for their closing sale). I will, finally, post a batch of haul and progress photos in the first week of November, when I get settled back into my home in Eugene. I really am terrible with a camera and it bugs everyone I know! In the meantime, I have a question: 
      Has anyone ever tried adding siding after their build's exterior was complete? Still being a novice, when I finished my first build (the Orchid; the interior is still a work-in-progress) I stepped back and thought 'I think I should have done siding.' Especially with the shingles on, the level of detail on the exterior just varies too much; it's been irritating me for a couple of months now. I'm a bit of a stickler it seems (though I didn't know it at the time)! My window/door casings, dormers, gingerbread, and my custom porch/railings are all already in place. I realize it may be very difficult, but the question is: is it even possible? If so, do you have any tips on how to do this?
      Any and all possible mini wisdom is welcome!  
      P.S. I have the opportunity to snag a very affordable Laurel kit secondhand so I'm trying to decide where I should just start the next building with siding and call it 'lesson learned' or go back and add to the Orchid (and stash the Laurel until after the New Year, space is a very important consideration here). P.S. P.S.: I'm not a Cher fan, but I took a page out of Elizabeth's book (Studio E miniatures) since I'm always charmed by her ability to make musical jokes in her posts/titles!
    • By gimpnelly
      Hi there! I just purchased an Orchid kit that I’m very excited to build and wanted to join this community to chat about it! I have one unfinished dollhouse that’s just too big for my current home (it’s 32” wide and I needed something smaller), so I decided to start over again. By day, I’m in marketing and I live with my fiancé and our two cats in Madison. I also like to read, write, play video games, watch TV, and see live music. Nice to meet you all!
    • By Austin’s Mom
      Hi everyone,
      I’ve been struggling with the Beacon Hill stairs. Problems with glue, dog thinking my stair assembly was a toy and managing to get to it.(when did he learn to fly.?????) Most of it was saved. I cut new parts from the discard cutouts. 
      But I’m not thrilled with my doggie enhanced stairs.
      Can I buy a ready made staircase that will fit?
      I saw a curving staircase on line  It would be worth it to me to buy it if it would fit to get past the frustration. 
      Has anyone tried something like this? Has it worked out?
      Thanks 
      Austin’s mom
      photo of stairs is attached

• By Msdemeanr
      Hi, new member here and wanted to introduce myself. I built a Harrison for my daughter several years ago; and although I was in over my head for a first timer, I enjoyed myself so much I wanted to build another one although I couldn’t justify building one if I wasn’t making it for someone (I’m not a collector (yet)). It’s been about 8 years, but I’m jumping back in with an Orchid kit that I’m kind of envisioning as a beach cottage. I’m excited for my winter project and really grateful for all the expertise and inspiration I’m finding here. I live in Virginia just outside of Washington DC.