How do you pare down a collection?

Kells

• 1 month later...

Such a beautiful house on your dining room table! I often see estate sales full of cherished family memories. Sometimes, it is very sad when a family tries to keep everything. In trying to keep the memories alive, they would "save" items by storing them poorly, stashing them in attics, barns, and basements. Decades later, the mice/bugs, water/mold, and heat/cold would have destroyed them. I applaud your decision to let go of some memories so that others can enjoy them. It is difficult to let go, but it is so much better to just keep a few pampered and beautifully displayed items that you will make you smile every time that you walk through the room, instead of an attic full of stuff that is never seen and poorly maintained.

I too am considering moving into room boxes, furniture groupings on shelves, and the smaller scales. A dozen 1:48 dollhouses can fit on one bookcase the size of a large 1:12 mansion. Small pieces or groupings would be easier to move out of my house at a later date. As my abilities improve, I increasingly value quality over quantity, and I like to clear out the lower quality items in my collection. Unlike one big dollhouse, lots of small dollhouses or room boxes are easier to re-home.

On 6/6/2019, 6:48:25, KellyA said:

I don't know how I missed this before I left for vacation. That's a dog next to a little dog house. :)

It's funny - I also thought it was a sheep and I thought it was a lovely touch - very pastoral portrait.

lol - it is a dog! It's really nice.