Hi everyone,

I’ve been struggling with the Beacon Hill stairs. Problems with glue, dog thinking my stair assembly was a toy and managing to get to it.(when did he learn to fly.?????) Most of it was saved. I cut new parts from the discard cutouts. 

But I’m not thrilled with my doggie enhanced stairs.

Can I buy a ready made staircase that will fit?

I saw a curving staircase on line  It would be worth it to me to buy it if it would fit to get past the frustration. 

Has anyone tried something like this? Has it worked out?

Thanks 

Austin’s mom

photo of stairs is attached

621F4540-BFAB-4114-8277-26202B648651.jpeg

Hi everyone. 

I know the BH stairs questions must sound like and old broken record to some of the long time regulars on the forum, but I did a search and poked around and didn’t find the answer. So please forgive me as I ask again.

i know the instructions say you can’t install the front exterior middle panel of the house (center 3 floors high) until the stairs are in place because you won’t be able to put in stairs.  I called Greenfeild and was told that yes if you put this front wall in place then it is impossible to put in the stairs.  

The guy also said if you put in the stairs it makes it really hard to do anything else..wallpaper, electric...etc so he told me to plan ahead  which is hard if I don’t know  what I want to do yet.

There must be a way around this.  Has anyone had luck putting the front panel on then the stairs after?

any clues?

thanks!

Yes, the stairs. I addressed the issue by making the stairs removable and slicing them horizontally so the bit for each floor slides in separately.  It's not quite finished and can't have a final fitting until I get the parquet floor in, but you can see the progress here.

14 hours ago, Austin’s Mom said:

Can I buy a ready made staircase that will fit?

I saw a curving staircase on line  It would be worth it to me to buy it if it would fit to get past the frustration. 

It's a dollhouse. You can make anything fit with the right amount of bashing. :D It may mean filling in the existing stairway holes and creating a new one.  If I were thinking of doing this, I'd get one of the staircases and slide it into place to see how I like it. If I didn't like it, I'd add it to my stash to save for another house. 

Mikki, as has been pointed out, it's a dollhouse.  Is there any reason you can't disassemble the stairs your pup dog "played" with and use those parts to make new, better ones from new plywood or basswood?  

I have requested that, if possible, this topic be merged with your previous topic about your Beacon Hill stairs; it will make doing searches much simpler for future BH builders who have similar stair issues.

Kathy B,  Thank you.  That’s Awesome!!!

Hanava Holly,  I’m sorry.  I almost posted them together but thought that it might be too much to put two questions in the same post.  

well, I did take the stairs apart. As best I could.  Removed the parts with chewed marks and cut those parts out from pieces marked “discard” in the kit.

whrn I pout them back together the fit was... well ....it is not what I would wish for...

it took me well more than a day to cut out the few pieces I needed to replace and they were all flat, no zizzags that have to be perfect, I’m not what you would call a mechanical wizard. 

I guess it’s time to see if I can find something better than an excto knife an a dremel and dumb luck

thank you for your time and patience with me.

Austin’s mon 

Edited by Austin’s Mom
Getting to the point...less rambling

31 minutes ago, Austin’s Mom said:

I guess it’s time to see if I can find something better than an excto knife an a dremel and dumb luck

Alas, that my be as good as it gets. Why don't you move on to some other part of the building for a bit? Sometime walking away from a problem challenge is all it takes for the light bulb to flash. :D  

I once made a set of stairs for the Pierce (which is no more, but not because of the stairs) using tracings from the punched-out part and cardboard for the stringers, basswood and scrap wood for the landings, risers and treads, and wooden cocktail picks for the balusters.  I covered up the cardboard with wallpaper and used strip wood to make paneled stringers and reinforce the cardboard, and they looked terrific until the half-built house got destroyed during our last move.  My utility knife and steel straight edge worked just dandy.