Breeches Pattern

Shareb

Well, I am doing fantastically with the coat!  Finally got it to a point where I'm pleased with it.  Sherri has been an amazing help - I had issues fitting the sleeves and she gave me the most wonderful advice!  However I don't want to keep taking up her time and I still have wigging to do!  I am apparently useless at making patterns.  My daughter helped me with the coat pattern.  I have printed various pics of breeches and patterns but for the life of me I can't make them work.  I have tried my own various patterns but NOPE - I'm utterly useless when it comes to clothing.  So...please....if someone could help me out by sending me a link or a picture or just some good old fashioned words that would be wonderful!  These are 18th C French mens breeches but as they are mostly covered by the coat (except through the slits on the side of the coat) they don't have to be fantastic.  Thank you in advance!

Do you have a pattern for women’s “drawers” or even bloomers? It would be a place to start or just look up the shape of them online. The men’s pants would be just bigger in the waist and a little blousier and longer than women’s bloomers, but they’re the same shape. 

• Like 1

Could try doing one leg at a time, make each leg from a T shape of fabric, sew or glue up inner leg, then join front and back seams by folding and gluing. I don’t know if that makes sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mineejv said:

These are earrings, thought of you when I bought them....

Ah-hah!!!  I have some similar!!  Aren't they gorgeous!  I got them when I was thinking about my Mother Nature's treehouse (which didn't get too far but will be finished one day).  They are very cool and are fantastic for minis as they're not expensive.  

37 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Do you have a pattern for women’s “drawers” or even bloomers? It would be a place to start or just look up the shape of them online. The men’s pants would be just bigger in the waist and a little blousier and longer than women’s bloomers, but they’re the same shape. 

Nope - I don't think so.  I think I did make some for my Gypsy Hester, but can't find them.  My craft cottage is in a bit of a mess atm as I'm reorganising stuff into a new tookbox I got!  The breeches that I'm looking at are very similar to tight modern day crop pants.

32 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Could try doing one leg at a time, make each leg from a T shape of fabric, sew or glue up inner leg, then join front and back seams by folding and gluing. I don’t know if that makes sense.

I have tried doing one leg at a time; tried doing front and back - it is so frustrating.  So annoying when your brain can do somethings but then refuses to understand others!  I downloaded pics of breeches and some sort of patterns - but they're meant for real breeches for adults.  I feel that given they're mini and almost hidden they should be easy to do which is why I am so freaking frustrated!  :D :bangin:

I know how frustrating it can be, sometimes I have to try many different mock ups to get it right. I wouldn’t be brave enough to attempt it with out a pattern for a guide. I hope you were able to get it figured out. 

Get the Sue Atkinson book, Dressing Dolls House Dolls, there are many, many patterns in that book, different fashion eras, that can be adjusted to whatever you would need, men, women and children. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

If the coat is going to be closed, why not just cut two cloth tubes to cover from just below his knees to his crotch?

That had been my intension all along.  However the sides of the bottom of the coat are open and when he stands sideways it kinda shows everything!  :D 

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

I know how frustrating it can be, sometimes I have to try many different mock ups to get it right. I wouldn’t be brave enough to attempt it with out a pattern for a guide. I hope you were able to get it figured out. 

Get the Sue Atkinson book, Dressing Dolls House Dolls, there are many, many patterns in that book, different fashion eras, that can be adjusted to whatever you would need, men, women and children. 

I'm glad you said that!  I look at all those of you who dress dolls and do it amazingly well and I figure it has to come naturally!  Thanks for the book recommendation - I'll see if I can find it!

I found a copy on Ebay and it's on it's way!  So....I'm a complete and utter drongo and I have to say that obviously understanding pants patterns and how they're put together is a 'maths brain' type of thing.  :D   I have it now!!!  :cucumber:

• Like 2