Wallpapering template instead of directly onto wall

Gail Callahan

I am working on wallpapering my Beacon Hill.  One option in the instructions was to wallpaper a template (posterboard) instead of pasting directly onto the walls.  This allows for later changing wallpaper, so is much more versatile than permanently installing onto walls.  The problem I'm encountering is that once dry, the posterboard tends to curl, despite placing heavy objects on it before placing in the dollhouse.  Has anyone else used this method for wallpapering and if so, what type of paste did you use?  Any similar such problems with yours?

Thanks,
Gail

The moisture in the wallpaper paste is causing the poster board to curl. Try dampening the back of the poster board. Place it between a sheet of paper toweling on the dampened side and waxed paper on the papered side. Put a weight (a book?) on top and leave to dry, overnight or longer. When dry, it should stay flat.

You can always paper over old wallpaper if it’s still in decent shape. I consider templates too much work. And you also have to deal with the corner edges. Do you really believe you will want to change the paper in the future?

I apply wallpaper with wallpaper paste from the hardware store, although if you use fabric for a wall covering you can stick it up with starch.  Then if you want to change it later, just wet it and scrape it off with a putty knife, if you don't want to paper over old paper.  The only reason I would consider using templates is if I were electrifying with tape wire.

I used templates for the Harrison as I had to hide the electrical wiring under the wallpaper so I used hardware wallpaper paste (like Holly) to apply the wallpaper to cardstock. I stacked books on top to keep it flat.  I added 1/4 inch extra on one end to go around corners. So if it was the left wall I added a 1/4 to the right end and then when applying the right wall it would cover the overlap. It worked for me.

I like Grandma Stover's glue/paste? I used templates in my Willow. It saved my bacon when I had to fix a wire that I accidentally cut through. https://livingtheminiaturelife.blogspot.com/2018/05/two-steps-forward-one-step-back.html

I am using matboard as templates for some of the rooms I am wallpapering. The sturdy base helps prevent curling, occasionally I have a slight warp. I use rubber cement to glue the matboard in place and it works great. 

Rubber cement is nice because the template will remove easily for troubleshooting and goes right back on.  My first offset print job we used rubber cement for pasting up; much nicer than the wax we used in a later place.

I found that the rubber cement I used to glue wallpaper in one of my first houses eventually dried up and loosened. While it was good in the short run when I had to repair a loose electrical connection, it turned out to be not so good for the long run. It sort of evaporated. 

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

On the other hand the floorboard strips I laid with rubber cement in Maggie are still holding on.

Perhaps the difference between paper and wood makes a difference in how quickly the glue dissipates.

• 3 years later...

I haven't used templates in houses, but I do have templates of my walls and floors for most of my houses.  I use them as patterns to make it easier to cut new pieces if I do decide to change the wallpaper.