First House—Orchid

Awen

Hello,

I want to start The Orchid.  I have never built a dollhouse before.  The instructions made it seem like I have to paint and wallpaper as I put it together.  My brain needs to see it before I can decorate it!  Can I put it together raw, figure out how I want to decorate it and then put it back together again decorated?  

Thanks for help!

• Like 1

I always build it first then decorate. In my opinion, it’s the only way to get the paper to wrap around the corners properly. Plus I electrify my houses. It’s a matter of choice. 

Its still important  do a dry fit of the house with painters tape before glueing it. 

56 minutes ago, Awen said:

Can I put it together raw, figure out how I want to decorate it and then put it back together again decorated?  

Yep. This is called dry fitting, and is a helpful step in building any house. Use masking or painter's tape to hold it together. You may find that once it is taped together, you'll want to glue it before decorating. The Orchid doesn't have any really hard-to-reach sections if you wait to install the stairway after the decorating is done.

Decorating before assembly or doing it afterward is purely a matter of personal choice.

3 hours ago, Awen said:

I’ll have to get some tape....

Can't have too much tape. It can clamp bits together as the glue dries. If you decide to electrify the house, tape is handy for plotting the layout of the wiring, whether it be tape wire or round wire.  :) 

If it helps, Jenny, sometimes during the dry fit the house will begin to talk to you and tell you what it wants.  That's how come I wait until last to install windows and doors, but I do most floor and ceiling treatments before or as I begin to glue the shell.  Also, during the dry fit I sometimes find areas I'll never get a hand into to decorate later, so I go ahead and do that first.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, The orchid said:

I received a orchid kit for a retirement gift. I'm in the process of building it now. I'm having trouble keeping my cats from wanting to get in it. Has anyone built a display box to cover their doll house?

You can use the plastic from a poster frame and Velcro it to the house. Or place channel molding around the opening and slide the plastic sheet into the channel. This makes a great dust cover, too.