Rehabbing a Garfield

rosejac

HI everyone, this is my first time posting.  I'm debating purchasing a Garfield from a lady who has one for sale.  From the pictures she has sent to me, it looks like there is a lot of work that needs to be done on the house - inside and outside.  The outside doesn't bother me - what concerns me is rehabbing the inside of the house.  From looking at the photos, it looks like there are rooms behind rooms in the house.  How do you get to these rooms to work on them?  I've never wired a house, but want to wire this one if I buy it.  I also would like to wallpaper and put in new flooring.  Is there easy access to these "hidden" rooms" in order to be able to work on them? 

I've never built a house before, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be to work on this one to make it beautiful.  Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

gf2.jpg

gf3.jpg

gf4.jpg

gf8.jpg

gf9.jpg

First of all, Kim, please post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  If it were me I would probably start by taking sections of the house apart to reach those hard-to-reach places (really easy if it was originally built with hot glue, as a hair dryer will take it apart).  I would also cry a lot at the paint job; there's a reason I wait to put in the windows and doors after I've painted and wallpapered; there's also a reason I prime the walls before painting or papering.

Havanaholly, I will head over the the Newcomers' Forum!  I had wondered if I could take it apart to work on it.  According to what she told me, it was put together with wood glue and hot glue.  However, I don't which parts were hot glued.  Not all of the roof has been shingled, so I'm hoping that's the part that was hot glued.  If wood glue was used on the house, is there an easy way to break it down into sections without damaging the wood?  If I do buy it, what should I do first?  I don't even know where to begin!

I had to smile at your comment about crying at the paint job.  This whole house is just crying for someone to renovate it. 

I'm not sure how to get wood glued sections apart, other than careful cutting.  I have a Garfield NIB patiently waiting its turn.  If buying it is half the price of the new kit or less then it's probably worth salvaging.  I was rehabbing a Pierce that got destroyed when we moved (it was less than half rebuilt and the hubs got me the Garfield I think partly out of guilt) and I had to make all new doors and windows, which was such fun that ever since I have been merrily making new doors and windows for perfectly nice, new kits.

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Working with Xylene, I would also set up a fan to blow the fumes away from you, even outdoors.

Or down wind is usually all I need. The fumes dissipate rapidly, it’s not as bad as spray paint.