Do You 'Mini' Whilst You're Away?

third_hand

Hello everyone! I've been rather quiet on the forums these days. My graduate program and my teaching has been quite demanding so I've been mostly lurking! Nonetheless, I've been diligently working away at my first build. It's come a long way! 

Next week, I'll be leaving my home in Eugene, OR for an extended semi-vacation (I'll be working remotely) with my partner in sunny California. I'll be gone at least 5 weeks (and perhaps longer) since my new job doesn't entail any in-person office time at the university. So, long story short, I can't decided whether to go on mini hiatus or pack enough small supplies to work on kits and such. :sad?:

What do y'all do? Do you have a protocol for long travels? Do any of you seasonal travelers or snowbirds have tips for taking along smaller projects? Taking the whole house is, as you can imagine, not really an option. I'd love to hear your thoughts! :wave:

• Like 1

I built the Glencroft and my first Orchid whilst traveling in our RV.  On car trips I take mini needlework (stitched a LOT of mini rugs).  If you have a large enough toolbox and room for it you can make up furniture kits.

• Like 1

I usually take some mini projects. Something small that I am working on, or some small kits to make up. I will take a small rigid container to put them in so they don’t get squashed in the luggage on the way home. I put paints into those little pop-top paint pots that you get with paint by numbers kits (I bought them online years ago, not with a paint by numbers kit!). PVA or other non flammable glue is fine too. I find a few mini projects don’t take up much room and if I don’t actually make anything, I don’t really care. It’s just nice to have stuff there in case of a rainy day or you just have the urge. 

• Like 1

I've realised this week how important crafting is to me - and at this point, that means minis.  I realise that I'm a better person if I get to have that time in my craft cottage regularly.  It's a time of calm, reflection....almost a meditation.  Even when I have my music turned up and I take the occasional dance break (much to the amusement of my neighbours I'm sure!), it's still MY time.  So....as to whether you take stuff to do while you're away, I guess it comes down to whether you would want to be away from it for that long?  When we went to the UK I didn't take anything to do - we didn't have any time to do anything!  However everywhere we went I was looking for minis or things that could be used in my miniatures!  Shopping for minis is ALMOST as good as working on them! :D 

• Like 1

i have been taking mini stuff along with me when going on vacations, even packning stuff in suitcase when flying. This time round I have flower making stuff brought along as well as  embroidery canvas, threads and pattern. Need to frog a few stitches  Now though <kicking myself> i Will take a pic of My kit Box of stuff (Love these boxes by the way as they stack and senap together and are interchangeable) 

i have been taking mini stuff along with me when going on vacations, even packning stuff in suitcase when flying. This time round I have flower making stuff brought along as well as  embroidery canvas, threads and pattern. Need to frog a few stitches  Now though <kicking myself> i Will take a pic of My kit Box of stuff (Love these boxes by the way as they stack and senap together and are interchangeable) 

I've taken mini projects to work on as well....I've even been known to stash wood flooring sheets in the bottom of my suitcase to stain while on vacation! LOL (I bought the stain and varnish once I got to the FL house)

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018, 11:10:24, Shareb said:

I've realised this week how important crafting is to me - and at this point, that means minis.  I realise that I'm a better person if I get to have that time in my craft cottage regularly.  It's a time of calm, reflection....almost a meditation.  Even when I have my music turned up and I take the occasional dance break (much to the amusement of my neighbours I'm sure!), it's still MY time.  So....as to whether you take stuff to do while you're away, I guess it comes down to whether you would want to be away from it for that long?  When we went to the UK I didn't take anything to do - we didn't have any time to do anything!  However everywhere we went I was looking for minis or things that could be used in my miniatures!  Shopping for minis is ALMOST as good as working on them! :D 

I've been having this realization too! As I was starting to pack, I thought 'How will I leave this house behind?' I have a serious love of miniatures, but I never expected that I would be quite so attached! After this last year and a half, this house has become so important to me.

As for the joy of acquiring (and marvelling), I do have that element covered. L. has promised to take my to the mini museum in St. Louis! I'm so looking forward to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, third_hand said:

I've been having this realization too! As I was starting to pack, I thought 'How will I leave this house behind?' I have a serious love of miniatures, but I never expected that I would be quite so attached! After this last year and a half, this house has become so important to me.

As for the joy of acquiring (and marvelling), I do have that element covered. L. has promised to take my to the mini museum in St. Louis! I'm so looking forward to it.

Take money, the St Louis museum has a shop.

13 hours ago, third_hand said:

Oh my, Anna, this is quite the travel kit! I only hope I can manage something like it :) 

It is an easy kit and as the boxes are interchangeable with senap on fasteners it works like a charm to have them prepared and just take the one or two I need, the LOT one is where I keep most of the tools. In the bottom I have a thin Plastic carving mat thatI have cut to fit perfectly, then there are the small pliets and cutters, a fairly cheap yet Saturday set for jewellery make g, the ball styluses needed to shape the petals, a bottle of glue, the bottle is actually used for fabric painting I Think orgiginally, them a small knif with the KI d of blade that snaps off, scissors, pastel chalks, paintbrushes dedicstedfor the pastells, three different tweeders, a couple of pieces of foam for the shaping part, a small spool of beading wire, a couple of pieces of sanding papers in different grit, a small rules that fits pefectly, a small glue stick, a wooden dowel with a slight tip and a couple of pieces of wax paper for the glue that I can get rid of when needed and some Plastic toothpics. Then in the tall one I have the wires as prepared stems for the different flowers, small Plastic containers of the per punched flower parts, a couple of ink pens and in the lid I have a few pieces of Plastic/electrical tape oh and a few zip ties.

the little blue Box container the emrbroidery stuff and I have a nail clipper for threads as I keep that in the carry on bag and really do not want to have to disponerat of some scissors even If they have been more allowing Now as it seems.

3 hours ago, Anna said:

It is an easy kit and as the boxes are interchangeable with senap on fasteners it works like a charm to have them prepared and just take the one or two I need, the LOT one is where I keep most of the tools. In the bottom I have a thin Plastic carving mat thatI have cut to fit perfectly, then there are the small pliets and cutters, a fairly cheap yet Saturday set for jewellery make g, the ball styluses needed to shape the petals, a bottle of glue, the bottle is actually used for fabric painting I Think orgiginally, them a small knif with the KI d of blade that snaps off, scissors, pastel chalks, paintbrushes dedicstedfor the pastells, three different tweeders, a couple of pieces of foam for the shaping part, a small spool of beading wire, a couple of pieces of sanding papers in different grit, a small rules that fits pefectly, a small glue stick, a wooden dowel with a slight tip and a couple of pieces of wax paper for the glue that I can get rid of when needed and some Plastic toothpics. Then in the tall one I have the wires as prepared stems for the different flowers, small Plastic containers of the per punched flower parts, a couple of ink pens and in the lid I have a few pieces of Plastic/electrical tape oh and a few zip ties.

the little blue Box container the emrbroidery stuff and I have a nail clipper for threads as I keep that in the carry on bag and really do not want to have to disponerat of some scissors even If they have been more allowing Now as it seems.

Thanks so much for the contents-breakdown! This is going to be very helpful. I'm feeling more confident by the minute about making minis while I'm away. Your encouragement and know-how is very appreciated!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, third_hand said:

I most certainly will. Word on the street is that the shop is quite nice! Have you been, Holly?

I have, indeed!  In addition to having a lovely long chat with the ladies there, one of them gifted me with a very wee dolls' dolly she was making from beads and toothpicks and nearly microscopic bits of cloth.  I remember, among other things, purchasing a small jar full of brass brads.

I take needlepoint, sewing, or crochet/knitting, since nothing ever comes out right the first time. These are very portable crafts, and if you don’t already know how to do one of them, a trip is always a good time to try something new.

I keep my eyes open to things that would be perfect to add to my mini projects. I came back with a wonderful print of Chateau Chenonceau, which was the right size for my 1/6 scale Castle. But somehow I dropped the ball ion the last night in France in the giftshop at Chateau Vaux Le Vitcompte,.while oooking at postcards there were 2 fabulous Architectual postcards of the front and backside of the chateau we were visiting. the were elongated postcards and I thought I really like these but where would I use them? Must have been focused on my very sore foot. 30 min down the road it hit me they were perfect for the dinning room of my 1/6 scale castle. [ I have emailed the Chateau gift shop but no response. maybe they don't send to other countries ] 

23 minutes ago, Debora59 said:

I keep my eyes open to things that would be perfect to add to my mini projects. I came back with a wonderful print of Chateau Chenonceau, which was the right size for my 1/6 scale Castle. But somehow I dropped the ball ion the last night in France in the giftshop at Chateau Vaux Le Vitcompte,.while oooking at postcards there were 2 fabulous Architectual postcards of the front and backside of the chateau we were visiting. the were elongated postcards and I thought I really like these but where would I use them? Must have been focused on my very sore foot. 30 min down the road it hit me they were perfect for the dinning room of my 1/6 scale castle. [ I have emailed the Chateau gift shop but no response. maybe they don't send to other countries ] 

Here are my prints of  Chenonceau which I purchased from a Paris street vendor:

This one is going over a mantle in the white house:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=120705

• Like 2

20 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I have, indeed!  In addition to having a lovely long chat with the ladies there, one of them gifted me with a very wee dolls' dolly she was making from beads and toothpicks and nearly microscopic bits of cloth.  I remember, among other things, purchasing a small jar full of brass brads.

This sounds lovely! I'm really looking forward to it :D

21 hours ago, Sable said:

Here are my prints of  Chenonceau which I purchased from a Paris street vendor:

This one is going over a mantle in the white house:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=120705

Just like mine from the giftshop at Chenonceau. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=135310

1 hour ago, Debora59 said:

Did you see the comment you wrote in my gallery in 2014 referring to my print? “The art work is amazing it reminds me of an artist I follow, Jim Buckles”.  No wonder you bought it.

I absolutely loved visiting Chenonceau, it is my favorite castle. 

• Like 2

Back home again and as I were putting the mini Box away I saw this (actually a Box for initting needles) which is also packed and ready for travel-makings, apart from the glueing sheet (I cut and roll suitable sizes from baking sheets so that I can diskars as used) and the gluestick and glue bottles as those have been with me in the other Box.

large.IMG_2183.JPG.594ddffecc4c03cb612cd

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anna said:

Back home again and as I were putting the mini Box away I saw this (actually a Box for initting needles) which is also packed and ready for travel-makings, apart from the glueing sheet (I cut and roll suitable sizes from baking sheets so that I can diskars as used) and the gluestick and glue bottles as those have been with me in the other Box.

large.IMG_2183.JPG.594ddffecc4c03cb612cd

Oh goodness, mini books! I didn't even think to start on my house's library while I'm away. This is a wonderful idea, Anna :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sable said:

Did you see the comment you wrote in my gallery in 2014 referring to my print? “The art work is amazing it reminds me of an artist I follow, Jim Buckles”.  No wonder you bought it.

I absolutely loved visiting Chenonceau, it is my favorite castle. 

Yes I did! What a coincidence.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, third_hand said:

Oh goodness, mini books! I didn't even think to start on my house's library while I'm away. This is a wonderful idea, Anna :)

There are plenty of printables for books too to Bring along and then cut into sizes and glue to suitable thicknessess of cardboard/foamrvbord etc.