Scratch built contemporary DH

Keifer

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I would dearly love to know how you made that lovely green Kitchen Aid mixer!

Oh Holly, I certainly did not make that mixer, appliances are not my thing.  I bought that off etsy but for the life of me I can not remember from who.  I’ve seen plenty of red ones but when I saw that color I thought it was perfect color for my kitchen.  

• Like 1

The next room on the build list is the great-room, which is adjacent to the kitchen.  This is a 2 story room with large windows at the front and a couple of columns at the center to draw the eye upwards toward the atrium skylight.  

large.5AC9AB06-C3A2-4C14-90A8-7B903780FF75.jpeg.24919278bfb9efaf49f3f80506489dc8.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Keifer said:

Oh Holly, I certainly did not make that mixer, appliances are not my thing.  I bought that off etsy but for the life of me I can not remember from who.  I’ve seen plenty of red ones but when I saw that color I thought it was perfect color for my kitchen.  

Isn't it Fanaberia off Etsy Keith??

6 minutes ago, Shareb said:

Isn't the mixer Fanaberia off Etsy Keith??

Ha ha no...I can’t afford her stuff.  It’s from either China or Thailand.  I remember that because it took forever to receive it and that was before covid.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

An atrium and no impluvium?  You're just going to let it rain in on the floor?  At least leave a home in the middle and plant a tree!

An impluvium would be a neat idea, perhaps on my next build as I do like those.   There will be glass at the peak so no rain:rain:  just some natural light to help illuminate this large space. 

2 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Oh, good; although if it's roofed over is it still an atrium?

According to Wikipedia, it still is an atrium.

In architecture, an atrium is a large open-air or skylight covered space surrounded by a building. Atria were a common feature in Ancient Roman dwellings, providing light and ventilation to the interior.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I found these peal and stick tile sheets at Home Depot and thought they would be perfect for the floor in the great room.  Unfortunately they no longer sell them.  What made them great compared to the many other tile sheets out there was how thin they were, about half the thickness of what is readily available. 
large.8412681B-2F3B-4B35-BB3B-293CE934D924.jpeg.bee4806a730d9c0bc0343dfcf7a0ffbe.jpeg

On 2/2/2021 at 6:05 PM, havanaholly said:

Love it, love the painting on the wall.  Now all it needs is a coffee table, a snuggy armchair, a fire pit in one corner and a humongous TV.

Thank you Holly.  I’m working on a chair but no fire pit sadly.  Maybe my next build.  

52 minutes ago, Island-Shack said:

I'm enjoying looking at all your work - thanks for all the updates too!

Thank you so much, my pleasure. 

• 1 month later...

The entrance to the kitchen is finished.  This was s big hurdle for me as the wall that connects the kitchen to the great room needed to be permanently secured in place before any further progress could be made.  I struggled with this because I always feel like I might be forgetting something.  My projects remain in dry-fit longer than they probably should... oh well.   The next big part of this build will be getting the details on the center column structure worked out, the front windows and permanently gluing more walls...eek!!

large.23A19591-9248-485B-9646-B736F7D5CEB4.jpeg.481b60fae62f922b4e228d9b55608422.jpeg

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Are you familiar with Mark Turpin's work?

I am, thanks to you.  You pointed me in his direction shortly after I joined the forum.  He has such a style all his own.  I hope with several more years under my belt that I will develop my own style.  

• 7 months later...

New pics of what I am calling the Great Room in my 1/12th scale scratch built house.  I wanted something a bit beefier than the standard trim for the crown moulding since this room is 2 stories high.  Nothing fancy, just embellished it with some layered mat board.  The top part, while it adds some height, it also serves as concealment as I plan to add lights to highlight the ceiling boards and beams near the skylight.  

Also pictured is the bracket for the curved portion of the twin columns.  While it is a simple shape I did go through several versions before deciding on this one. 

large.1012DAD7-3A26-4E55-BAF9-BC96F96A5EC8.jpeg.085a13daa30728c57165849c4b908c7c.jpeg

large.6DB969DF-1615-45CA-807D-C58E9449A5F1.jpeg.2309e22723e577765d2fdb11b0e43ee9.jpeg

large.B30ABF72-7413-47DD-B3BA-DF9FC68C70D0.jpeg.9356ca85778ad22a0ccfdf2e593d00b8.jpeg