11/6/06 What other Hobbies Do You Have?

Minis On The Edge

well mini makin is definitley #1 in my book. But I make all shorts of other crafts too. My specialty is custom night lights. Ive made at least 3 dozen of those for family and friends. I also love to make beaded jewelry.

mini making and building dollhouses have taken over my life but I do enjoy embrodery

and photography, sewing, candlemaking, painting ceramics...mostly snowmen for my ever growing collection.

nutti :yucky:

I do petitpoint and knitting (oh wait--that's also mini-related).

Ok, I'll straighten up and do this right.

I love my pet dachshunds and used to be in dachshund rescue until I began keeping my foster dogs instead of finding them new homes. I still help transport rescue dogs. lately I have been taking the furkids to monthly dachshund meet ups, where we can socialize with other dachsies and the humans that they own--too much fun!!!

I am very involved in my church and volunteer in the church library and in the RCIA program (for prospective new members).

I love to read. Since the train commute to work is one hour each way, this gives me up to two hours a day to devote to this hobby.

I also enjoy sweepstaking and have won a few nice things over the years, like five pairs of Rayban sunglasses, a trip to Italy and a trip to Australia. But when it comes the the two things I want and need most-a large cash prize or a new car, success has eluded me.

Jeri

I love to sew I have 2 sergers and a kenmore sewing machine that does any type of stich you can think of.

I also do wood working, I have made my own trelles and arbors, the first time I made a adirondack chair.

I had to lock Hubby out of the shop :banana: or he would have taken over the project and I wanted to "do it myself" :yucky:

He and I would fight over the tools , So I went and bought my own!!!!! :wave:

I also paint murals and any thing elce that stands still long enough!!! :wave:

Besides dollhouses and minis, I like scrapbooking, painting, anything crafty. I collect Hello Kitty items. I have strong passion for animals and animal rights. I'm also into anything Apple(computers), VW's (I drive a Jetta :yucky: )

These days it seems that dollhouses & miniatures occupy the majority of my available hobby time :woohoo: but I also enjoy making homemade soaps & candles.

I used to have a home-based soap & candle business & made soaps, solid lotions, sugar scrubs, body sprays & wickless candles/tarts. Now that I only do it as a hobby I mainly stick to the candles & soaps.

Some pictures of my soaps & stuff:

Soaps & Stuff

Once upon a time I wanted to eventually have my own store front & do soaps/candles as my full time job, but unfortunately, I was more talented making the stuff than I was at marketing and while I sold enough to always keep me busy (and exhausted) I never sold enough to comfortably give up the security of my day job to do it.

Other hobbies - wow. Pretty much these days it's narrowed down to Miniatures, Photography (wildlife), Writing, Gardening, Camping and arcane or obscure historic studies such as folklore, superstition,symbology, ancient religion, myth and Rom history - which I don't do nearly as much of as I'd like to.

In the past I've done a lot of different hobbies. I love ceramics and used to run my own ceramics business and studio. I've enjoyed costuming, leather work, glove making, leather shoe repair and alteration and would like to learn actual shoe cobblery someday- . I've done wood working though I prefer wood carving. I've enjoyed rock and glass etching, sculpting, batik, candle making, dabbled in perfumery,potpouri and jewelry making. I paint mostly portraiture and mostly in Oils when I do paint ,though I have also worked in acrylics and watercolors. I enjoy home haunting every October and setting up new props each year for the family. I also enjoy collecting and restoring antiques, playing the piano and restoring wooden musical instruments such as mandolins and violins - and hopefully eventually my victorian reed organ. I have a certificate in Wildlife Rehabilitation from the state and I speak very poor american sign language. I also enjoy going to the movies regulary and the theater- there's nothing like a live stage preformance :woohoo: and we go several times a year to see both amateur and professional productions. Oh and I enjoy working Devil Sticks (for those of you don't know what that is - it looks simular to juggling but ultra simple for those of us too clumsy to juggle :silly: )

-David

Good evening all..... other hobbies.... well, along with mini's, which I am new to, I have been involved with Geneology for many years. Researching my family is fun and exciting. I love shopping a thrift stores and gardening. But right now, building my dollhouse is my main obsession, cant wait to get it done and start the decorating process, then I will just have to buy a new one to build... :woohoo:

Have a wonderful evening..

Karen

I bring my full-sized hobbies into mini-making as much as possible.

I draw, paint, do a lot of scissorwork (shirrenschnit, other paper lace techniquest fascinate me), sculpt and occasionally carve.

Woodworking (both my father & my maternal grandfather were skilled amateur woodworkers), sewing, knitting, crocheting, tatting, quilting, trapunto

Embroidery: needlepoint, crewel, cross-stitch, stumpwork, Japanese needlepainting, candlewicking.

Dollmaking (I collect sparingly), especially softsculpt.

Tandem cycling (I also ride a 27-speed road trike), hiking, kayaking, thriftstore shopping.

Cooking & baking (I love to develop my own recipes for things).

Writing (can't you tell?!lol)

Traveling. I sort of speak French & Spanish.

I wonder if you'd call model making minis? I think they are, different techniques though. I've done a few kits, but really enjoy scratchbuilding more. I try to stick to subjects that aren't out in kit form, since mine are never as good and it gets discouraging. I've finished the Betty, but still have to do the stand, stands bore me though so I put off doing them. I'm working on the Dreamworks Time Machine, but it's so complex that I can only do bits at a time, then have to take a break. In addition I like photography, and I play the bass.

Back in the day, I was an art teacher and have always loved crafts of all sorts. As a child, I worked in my father's woodshop in the basement, was turning out bowls on the lathe by age six.

These days I'm mostly mini-ing, but enjoy photography (am putting together a Power Point program of quilt photos from the Houston show for friends who couldn't get there). I write when I can, have a great American Novel in the lower left hand drawer, and a high interest in history that seems to intensify as I age. :wave:

The biggest alternate hobby in my life at the moment, the one suffering from all my mini-time, is genealogy. We've found beacoup new cousins on my husband's side in the past few years and some on my side as well.

I have two chihuahuas left from Chihuahua Rescue & Transport days. I usually took in the elderly rescues and loved them until they crossed the rainbow bridge, but also helped to place younger dogs. I still receive cards and letters from the owner of one of the fosters I nursed back to health from a nasty case of mange and helped to place in a forever home.

We enjoy theater and music of all kinds. There are numerous philharmonics, orchestras, choruses, and theater groups within striking distance, even though we're in the middle of the cornfields of the heartland.

First of all, it's intersting reading about everyone else's interests!

As far as my other hobbies - I am a Nationally Certified Master Knitter, and a retired member of the Midwest Professional Needle Artists. I enjoy and have taught every form of needle art/work that I have ever run across. I especially like figuring out ancient needle arts that no one seems to be doing any more and reproducing ancient clothing from pics. I like to spin my own yarn and experiment with different fibers.

I also teach regular sewing and tailoring. My best friend and I own a sewing business for equestrian competitors and their mounts. We make English Riding Suits, Arabian costumes, driving suits, etc.

I also like charcoal sketching, water colors, oil painting, sculpting, restoring antiques, vegetarian cooking, baking, and reading Celtic history and mysteries.

I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and 3 Siamese cats, which I breed - the Siamese, not the Corgi with the Siamese :wave:

In addition to the dollhouses I collect Barbies and Irish dolls, and I enjoy making and dressing dolls.

I like to design and make earrings and pendants, as well as polishing my own stones. (Ex was a lapidary)

I used to make candles and soaps, but haven't done that for several years.

And in my spare time.....

Carol

Oooh Carol -

Equestrian costuming! Way cool!! Have you thought about doing any of that in mini? Breyer makes a horse to fit 1:12 scale :clap: I've seen pictures of some of the mini arabian costumes but that's waaaay beyond me - they really are beautiful though!

As a side note Karen didn't mention it but she used to paint in oils and was pretty darn good too! I know she'd love to have her own home studio someday :wave:

-David :)

Sewing, knitting, cross-stitch, and puzzles (jigsaw and crossword) primarily. I go through phases with my hobbies, so I tend to be constantly rotating through projects, and nothing ever gets completely done!

My other interests include:

Square dancing, and making square dance attire for our family (two of our adult daughters and 4 of our 13 grandchildren square dance so far with another taking lessons this year). We go to dances dance several times a month and are also "angels" (helpers) at weekly lessons for two local clubs.

Computers. I maintain a website for my grandchildren's school and belong to far too many online groups - mostly about miniatures, so maybe that's not an "other" hobby? If I spent less time online reading about and looking at photos of others' minis, I'd get more done on my own projects. :wave:

Another of my great interests is in the field of childbirth. I am a certified doula and I spend a lot of time online reading and learning about pregnancy and birth-related issues. I hope to start a doula business, but in my part of MN doulas are not well known. It remains to be seen whether that will become an actual business, or just remain a hobby. I have been privileged to be doula (long before the word was invented) at the births of a number of nieces & nephews and most of my grandchildren and am looking forward to being present when our 14th grandchild is born next March.

I used to read almost constantly, but it's difficult to do that while driving tractor (we raise beef cattle and put up lots of hay all summer) so I've gotten addicted to books-on-tape. I'm not completely dressed until my walkman is in my pocket and my earbuds are in.

I became interested in genealogy this summer, and one of my projects for this winter will be to sort through a lot of old family letters and papers and use them to help piece together our family's story.