Anyone interested in show jumping competitions?

rodentraiser

I've been following the horse show circuit on YouTube and FEI TV and I noticed some of the biggest shows are where some of our members live. Would anyone be interested in going to see one of these events live? If so, I can either post the cities here or anyone can PM me and ask if a competition will be held near them. I realize that I'm probably the only one who's interested in this, but I thought I would just let everyone know.

If you're wondering what's going on, the Western and Eastern Leagues are currently having shows. What you'd be watching are around 35 to 40 horses and riders jumping a variety of single, double, and triple fences that range from 5' 3" to 5' 5". Depending on how interested you are, it can be fun to watch or feel like waiting for paint to dry. I know this isn't everybody's thing, but I enjoy it and thought I'd share.

Also, the European competitions are in full swing every Sunday as well, so some of our European members can also see some of these events. Some of the best riders in the world compete at these.

If she has a computer, she can watch a ton of shows online. Some of them on YouTube are live and you can chat with other watchers. To sort the highlights of the shows from the actual shows themselves, I just look at the length of the video. Most shows go about 2 hours. The ones with 60+ competitors will run almost 4 hours. The ones that are speed events are usually 1 1/2 hours.

If she's interested only in show jumping, she needs to know they will post the videos for three day eventing as well. Those jumping competitions will always have "eventing" in their title. I accidentally got on one of those videos once and was totally bewildered before I realized where I was. "Where are all the riders I know? How come the jumps are so low?" LOL

https://www.youtube.com/user/feichannel/videos?disable_polymer=1

FEI TV is an internet channel where you can watch the shows live and also have access to their archives. The nice thing about them is they will post the upcoming shows. The bad thing about them is you have to pay $60 a year to access the site and shows and then most of them are put on YouTube to watch for free. The other thing I'm calling them to task about is their starting times. They've got shows supposedly live listed for showing on Sunday and then come to find out the show was on Saturday. They have one show listed as starting at 1am in the East. Nobody in the show world is going to jump their horses at 1am. But you don't have to watch them live. You can always look for them in the archives and watch them there. They're posted almost as soon as they air.

https://tv.fei.org/

---------------------------------

FEI covers eventing, vaulting, endurance, driving, dressage, and jumping. Unfortunately, when it comes to the live videos on FEI TV and the videos on YouTube, you have to kind of search for what you're looking for, because all the disciplines are mixed together.