Laser cut Chantilly

Mini maniac

Not a question....more of a rant.  I love my laser cut Chantilly but I really am angry at the stairs.  I mean, seriously?  Why??  Why fight me on the install? Let me tell you....they didn't look hard and the instructions are a bit lacking but holy smokes! The slide in stair rail is a b#tch!!   Rant over.  The end.  

• Like 1

They are a challenge!

I recall the instructions order not really working for me, so I wrote a cheat sheet for myself of the step by step process that worked best. That way I could take them in and out of dry fit (over and over) until I got the fit right.

There were lots of magic words too. :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

One of the reasons I discovered the dry fit and use it so much is that the written instructions don't always make sense to me.

I'm with Holly.  I treat my dollhouses like puzzles and dry fit until things work because the directions really confuse me.

• Like 1

My first couple of houses I didn't dry fit but they were very small one's so I managed to get by with that. I joined this forum and learned about the dry fit from Holly and some others now I do it every time. It will save you from many headaches and redoing what you have already done. 

• Like 2

I did a dry fit......and I did it several times because I was worried about my ceiling paper and the plaster wall creating issues.  Its almost like the wood swelled or expanded???  I have never had that before but I don't know what else it could be.  The slide in rail seemed warped. I am still baffled.  I have had a few issues with this kit.....missing parts, and mislabeled schematics.  But this was unexpected. I just don't want to break it trying to get it in.   I will not give up.....I will use more magic words......like "please" and "I am begging you!"

• Like 1

LOL, “I beg you”.

To make the sliding bannister fit, I had to sand the edge that fit against the ceiling, open the slot a little, and sand the side in the space that slides along the inside edge of the second floor stairwell opening. Even the lightest coat of paint on any of those surfaces will effect the fit. I looked carefully at the bannister piece for any kind of scuff mark to find the places to make adjustments.

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dalesq said:

LOL, “I beg you”.

To make the sliding bannister fit, I had to sand the edge that fit against the ceiling, open the slot a little, and sand the side in the space that slides along the inside edge of the second floor stairwell opening. Even the lightest coat of paint on any of those surfaces will effect the fit. I looked carefully at the bannister piece for any kind of scuff mark to find the places to make adjustments.

I hope this helps.

Yes, this helps.  You are right.....had to sand and cut the slot a bit in order to get it in.  And viola!  Its in!   I was so happy to finally get it.  I was really struggling with it.  I actually was considering buying a new staircase, lol. 

• Like 1

Getting doors to fit that I had made from the doorway punchouts showed me just how much wood can swell; I swear I sand and shave at least 1/16" of material off of both the door and the opening to get it to where it will open & close properly!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mini maniac said:

Yes, this helps.  You are right.....had to sand and cut the slot a bit in order to get it in.  And viola!  Its in!   I was so happy to finally get it.  I was really struggling with it.  I actually was considering buying a new staircase, lol. 

Glad it helped :D 

• Like 1