How to create scale wallpaper?

Shareb

HI all!  I've been struggling to find the right wallpaper for the Apothecary's quarters upstairs.  I don't want anything too over the top - but it does have to be mid-18thC period.  I've found some downloadable scrapbooking papers on Etsy which would work, but how do I turn this into useable wallpaper for my 1:12th scale?  Would love to hear from people who have done this or made paper from scratch for miniatures!

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Would an 18th Century apothecary have wallpapered walls in his living quarters over his shop?  I thought only obscenely wealthy families afforded wallpapers back then.

I have wondered about that as well.  However he is apothecary to the Royals and therefore all the upper class as well so I feel he will be more 'well heeled' than the usual apothecary.  I want it reasonably sparse but I think he would be in relatively nice surroundings....

5 hours ago, Sable said:

Would you consider using a solid paper like I did in my bar?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=132831

WOW!  Loving your bar!  Hubby had an arguement with me about whether it was a miniature or not!  Really love that soft grey you have on the walls - could work.....not a bad idea....

Hello Rebecca, I use the "Paint program" to scale wallpaper. I print on 11x17 paper at office depot because that covers about any size wall I run into. When I rescale patterns, I look at how would the pattern look at 12inches. Let's say i have a rose pattern. On real-life wallpaper, a single bloom would look strange if it were 12 inches big. So, I reduce by 50%. That leaves me with a 6-inch bloom. if that is still too big, I reduce again until it looks right. 

Not sure that makes sense - not enough caffeinated at this time. If I can help you with anything, let me know. I will return after my second coffee...........

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2018‎ ‎1‎:‎23‎:‎01‎, Soapz said:

Hello Rebecca, I use the "Paint program" to scale wallpaper. I print on 11x17 paper at office depot because that covers about any size wall I run into. When I rescale patterns, I look at how would the pattern look at 12inches. Let's say i have a rose pattern. On real-life wallpaper, a single bloom would look strange if it were 12 inches big. So, I reduce by 50%. That leaves me with a 6-inch bloom. if that is still too big, I reduce again until it looks right. 

Not sure that makes sense - not enough caffeinated at this time. If I can help you with anything, let me know. I will return after my second coffee...........

Thanks Chris....maybe I hadn't had enough caffeine when I read this!!  I think perhaps I have asked before, and received a reply before.  However like before, I read through your answer and it literally went in one eye and straight out the other!  :dunno::coffee::hmm:

So, basically, you find a pattern - probably in a .jpeg, and open it up in paint.  You re-size it, then copy it until you have a full sheet of pattern.  So if this is how it's done then you could do it with a portion of a wallpaper already existing, or with one single pattern like a fleur de lis?

2 hours ago, Sable said:

it’s been my experience that a single item would take forever to copy and paste to form an entire sheet. Lining each item up properly is a real pain.

Yes, I can imagine that.  Well I think I've decided against using wallpaper.  I'll do simple wall panels in either a light cream or grey, keep it fairly simple and unadorned with just a few very beautiful or appropriate (to him) peices of artwork.  I did wonder if maybe I could incorporate a little wallpaper if I make him a divider....

Hi Rebecca, if you know what paper you want I'm happy to turn it into an A4 sheet in .pdf format which I can email you.......or I can print it out here on A4 High quality matte photo paper.......How ever many you need and Air Mail you...........Some nice 18th century papers out there!

17 hours ago, MikeUK said:

Hi Rebecca, if you know what paper you want I'm happy to turn it into an A4 sheet in .pdf format which I can email you.......or I can print it out here on A4 High quality matte photo paper.......How ever many you need and Air Mail you...........Some nice 18th century papers out there!

Thank Mike - a very kind offer!  I bought some matt photo paper the other day to use to print wallpaper - I noticed a huge difference in the paper used when printing when I did my wagon.  I think that my main issue is that I really don't have a picture in my head of how I want this room to look.  I have painted the inside of the shop already and I'd like to do whatever I'm going to do upstairs as well, before I glue the building together.

This is my pinterest page - https://www.pinterest.nz/rebeccareckin/apothecary/

I'm beginning to think that the more plain wall panels as in the latest pictures I've added, would be best.  However I still feel that this man is a very well travelled, well respected and intelligent Apothecary, so it would make sense to have a few really beautiful items in his home.  Apparently Oriental wall paper was quite popular at that time, and I've seen a few very beautiful light blue papers with birds, flowers etc.  So I think I'm going to panel the walls (not quite sure how I'm going to do that as yet - maybe just paint and then create panels using trim) and then have a really beautiful room divider with the wall paper.

I have also found this and bought it - will be interesting to see what it creates....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pc-European-Totem-Frame-Curtain-Sling-Cake-Mold-Chocolate-Mould-for-the-Kitchen-Baking-Cake-Tool/32906055719.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.15.67c1c4dfD2OVFk&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10547_10343_10340_10548_10341_10696_10084_5724015_10083_10618_5724315_10307_5724215_5724115_10059_5013715_100031_5725015_10103_5724915_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620_5013815,searchweb201603_1,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=1c7732f7-3505-48a5-9bd9-8ac5e327c722-2&algo_pvid=1c7732f7-3505-48a5-9bd9-8ac5e327c722&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

So, in answer Mike, I would love to find some light blue, maybe Oriental, with birds, branches etc wallpaper that I can easily print at home.  Because he's an Apothecary I also like the idea of flowers, herbs, plants, trees etc - so nature, maybe with an Oriental spin....I don't want much really! :D

Rebecca, find the wallpaper and link me the photo. I have a bunch of done wallpaper, I can look tonight if I have something you might like. I'll find a place to upload a few, if I do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shareb said:

So, in answer Mike, I would love to find some light blue, maybe Oriental, with birds, branches etc wallpaper that I can easily print at home.  Because he's an Apothecary I also like the idea of flowers, herbs, plants, trees etc - so nature, maybe with an Oriental spin....I don't want much really

Take a look at Paul Montgomery Studio.  He has some beautiful chinoiseries that could work well on a screen or room divider, and he provides nice, large images that should be easy to work with.  (My personal favorite:  https://www.paulmontgomery.com/bel-aire/#iLightbox[BLD-150]/1)  I just noticed on a recent post by Debora (Dalesq) that she references a dressing screen tutorial by Little Architecture, and the dressing screen uses one of Paul Montgomery's designs, to spectacular effect.  Check out Debora's post ("Hermitage, Dry Fit Again") as well, as she used the design as wallpaper in her attic, and it is lovely.

• Like 1

Thank you Deborah for the tutorial!  Perfect!!  And thank you for telling me about Paul Montgomery's papers - they are gorgeous!  I've downloaded the catalogue and I'm happy to say it's hard to choose as there are so many that would be suitable!  I see it used in the Hermitage - looks beautiful!

19 hours ago, Soapz said:

Rebecca, find the wallpaper and link me the photo. I have a bunch of done wallpaper, I can look tonight if I have something you might like. I'll find a place to upload a few, if I do.

Thanks for that Chris!  Looking at the Paul Montgomery wallpapers, my favs are; Ashford Garden, Beauvais, Huntington, Worthmore, Wisteria.  I can see if I can figure how to do it in paint - but if you have any already created that are similar that would also be fantastic.

So I've saved quite a few pictures from Paul Montgomery's website.  They are utterly fantastic and I can see me using many of them in all sorts of ways.  My concern is using the pictures that are obviously copyright, protected images etc.  Obviously I'd only be using them for personal use.... Given that this guy is an artist and the papers are utterly gorgeous, it just worries me a little....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shareb said:

So I've saved quite a few pictures from Paul Montgomery's website.  They are utterly fantastic and I can see me using many of them in all sorts of ways.  My concern is using the pictures that are obviously copyright, protected images etc.  Obviously I'd only be using them for personal use.... Given that this guy is an artist and the papers are utterly gorgeous, it just worries me a little.... kind of dab hand, you might try copying

Most 18th Century wallpapers were painted (thinking here of the dining room panel papers in the George Mason home, Gunston Hall).  If you're at all any dab hand you might copy not precisely) some part of a design you like in the size you want and copy it however many times you want for your panels.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shareb said:

Given that this guy is an artist and the papers are utterly gorgeous, it just worries me a little....

I do tend to "borrow" liberally from the Internet for my own personal use, but understand that I can't use other people's work for sale or promotion.  If you look at the comments on the screen tutorial, he (or his team) actually writes in and says, "This design, called 'Simona' is From Paul Montgomery Studio in Virginia USA. It was originally hand painted. If you wish more designs, please let us know."  I know Brae sometimes contacts the creators for permission to use their work.  You could always do that if you are concerned, and given his comment, I'm guessing you'd get permission.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I do tend to "borrow" liberally from the Internet for my own personal use, but understand that I can't use other people's work for sale or promotion.  If you look at the comments on the screen tutorial, he (or his team) actually writes in and says, "This design, called 'Simona' is From Paul Montgomery Studio in Virginia USA. It was originally hand painted. If you wish more designs, please let us know."  I know Brae sometimes contacts the creators for permission to use their work.  You could always do that if you are concerned, and given his comment, I'm guessing you'd get permission.

I tend to borrow fairly liberally myself, but because I may very well be sharing photos in a public place, I'd rather double check.  I've emailed him now so hopefully I'll hear back positively.  Not sure what I'll do if he says 'no'!!!

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Most 18th Century wallpapers were painted (thinking here of the dining room panel papers in the George Mason home, Gunston Hall).  If you're at all any dab hand you might copy not precisely) some part of a design you like in the size you want and copy it however many times you want for your panels.

Thanks Holly - I could potentially try and paint something myself - at least when it's miniature mistakes aren't so noticiable!  I may have to try that if they tell me I'm not allowed to use their images!