Quick exterior question

shutterbugkc

I want to have an old, rustic-looking stucco exterior on my next house. What is the best thing to use? I was thinking about just using something I already have - drywall joint compound, but then I saw that a mix is available that is made just for dollhouse stucco. Is this better? Or should I avoid these 'muds' all together and just use paperclay? Would these wetter compounds warp my wood if the dollhouse is already glued together? :yikes:

Oh, and with any of these methods, should I press the outside window trim in while the exterior is wet or should I put it on first and then work around it? This is all new to me because I have only used clapboard siding before - but I think I'm ready for something more creative. :rudolph:

Karen, all of the above would work! I used something called 'Americana Stuccos' that I found at Michael's which I used on my Mother Goose's Cottage. I've also used paperclay on my 'Tea Cottage' and drywall compound on the ceilings of my Beacon Hill. The 'American Stuccos' comes in about five different colors. Of course, good 'ol drywall compound will work, just don't put it on too thick or it will take FOREVER to dry! Then, you can paint it if you like in whatever color you fancy. I didn't have a problem with warping with either the stucco or the paperclay methods.

I put the painted exterior trim on BEFORE I stuccoed. That way I was able to get a nice finish right up to the trim with no gaps. Then I just touched up the paint where I needed to.

Good luck!!

Alysia used Dap spackling compound on her Buttercup.

you could always use the tissue/paint method

I am always very pleased with the look I acheive with it.

nutti :yikes:

I wish Mabyn would finish her house. This is what she is doing to the exterior. She hasn't touched it in months.

you could always use the tissue/paint method

I am always very pleased with the look I acheive with it.

nutti :yikes:

Hey Nutti, is there a tutorial or blog that shows how to do the tissue/paint method? I know I've seen pictures of what it looks like when it is finished, but I'm not sure I've read how to do it.

in my Orchid blog I showed how to do this .

I use 2 ply toliet paper and I seperate the plys

some use facial tissue...Im sure whichever will do it.

I just use what I have. :yikes:

nutti :rudolph:

I think Greenleaf has a stucco/grout product - pretty sure Dean put a link up to it just recently.

Yup, just had a look, and it's under "dollhouse accessories". :yikes:

Thanks for the tip. I just took a look there and it appears to be under consruction. I'll check back on it another time. :rudolph:

When you reach the page that says "Under Construction" just click on "Additional Photos", and it opens on some text. It has Dollhouse Accessories in grey - click there, and then scroll down the page that comes up. (It shows pics of accessories, but no pic of stucco.) Click on "Miniature Stucco for Dollhouses", and it brings up detailed info. on their product. :yikes:

I've used the Greenleaf stucco, but it was probably in the early 90's. The house looks fine and I don't recall having any problems with it. Still looks good today. When I dug out some of my dollhouse stuff recently I found Greenleaf shingles that I had bought at Michael's. I assume that's where I bought the stucco too, so Michael's was carrying dollhouse things in the early 90's.

Alysia used Dap spackling compound on her Buttercup
So did holly, also on my Sugarplums, the first floor of my Arthur, the upstairs & chimney & entire interior of my Glencroft and the chimney of my McKinley, and the entire exterior of my Orchid (check my blogs); it's why I call myself "The Queen of Spackling Compound" :banana:

could you possibly mix sand with the drywall mud to give it more texture?

Ooo, now that's an interesting idea! Nutti mixed sand with paint to "stucco" some of her houses.

could you possibly mix sand with the drywall mud to give it more texture??
I guess it would depend on how thick the mud was. I tend to keep buckets of it forever, and they do get kinda thick. I might give this a try because I really do want a lot of texture.

So did holly, also on my Sugarplums, the first floor of my Arthur, the upstairs & chimney & entire interior of my Glencroft and the chimney of my McKinley, and the entire exterior of my Orchid (check my blogs); it's why I call myself "The Queen of Spackling Compound" laugh.gif

Is spackle much different than drywall compound?