1/12th scale 2x4 Hollow Wall Construction

7 hours ago, Genevra said:

The introduction of insulation in the first half of the 20th century ensured that modern stick framing (which is superior still to balloon framing, offering better fire resistance, smaller standard members and so a better use of resources, and more modularity) would remain standard in the US.  Factory engineered W-trusses are an even more recent cost-and-resource-saving technique that make attics (or lofts, as I suppose you’d call them) less useful for any other purposes and changed the slope-roofed attic bedrooms from a cost-saving measure to an architectural indulgence!  Weather is much more extreme here than in the U.K.—my home, for example, gets considerably colder than any place in the U.K. and also has weeks at a time in the high 90s F each summer—so the cost of cooling and heating the same amount of space is higher, making insulation far more important.

Wow. Just wow. I've lived in the US now for 10 years. Stick framing is something I've never heard before I came here. Back home we build in concrete and brick. And yes, we do believe in insulation. As for the weather: Chicago: 41.8781° N, 87.6298° W - London: 51.5074° N, 0.1278° W.  Another point to consider is that we build to last. In your studies you might check into how we engineer windows it might be an eye opener for you.

Other than that - I'll stick with Mike: Not going to waste any more time on your post. Some of it might have merit - I am not going to bother and  check; however, a lot of it is rubbish and added to that also insulting. You might want to tone that down a bit.