I finished my mermaid and just wanted to answer a few questions here, it's easier than doing it on each individual picture. 

The mermaid was such an easy, quick project! If anyone is new to dollmaking it's a great beginner project. You don't need to worry about assembling a doll...don't need to worry about clothing. You only need a torso and arms.  A child size mermaid would be even easier. 

The tutorial I used is by Dana Burton and it was posted to her online doll group minidolllist. It's an email list type group, formerly yahoo but now hosted by iO groups. Feel free to join and get the tutorial, it's an informative group for 1/12 dollmaking, all skill levels. The subject this week was mermaids, so there are several different tutorials there. Google “groups.io” then search for minidollLIST if interested. 

I was asked about what I used and I can freely talk about that. The tail is polymer clay, I used about 1 and a half packs of violet color, Sculpy. At first I was trying to free form sculpt a tail and it turned out too big so I started over and followed directions this time...the tail is sculpted and baked directly on the shell! That made it soooo much easier. You just have to have enough head clearance in your toaster oven for the doll torso, because she is attached to the tail at this point. At least that's the way I understood the tutorial.  So, the tail takes on the form of the shell and looks natural. Also, to do it that way your shell would have to fit in the oven too obviously. I used one I found at Hobby Lobby called a lions paw or bear paw.  

The other thing I was asked about is the beads. They're no hole beads. From different sources, craft store and morezmore on eBay.  I don't think you'd want anything bigger than 1mm and most, smaller. 

The paint I used on the tail is Color Shift metallic by folk art. 

I was so excited to find a mold recently called "Sea Life" it contains Miniatures to cast in porcelain of a ships anchor, a treasure chest, shells, crab, sea horse, lobster (too big), small mermaid,etc. looking fw to trying those and maybe making a pirate cove, or at least using them for accessories to decorate the shell. 

The doll mold that I used is by Paulette Stinson. She's sculpted to resemble Josephine, I also have Napolean. I thought she made a serene looking mermaid.  

IMG_0188.JPG

• Like 2

Wow - that tail is incredible!  It really does look great, draped on the shell like that, very realistic pose.  Well done!

The pearly bubbles are beautiful, and what a good idea to use them for camouflage.  They frame her face sweetly - those eyes of hers!  She has an innocence about her ... yet you can see pride there, too - at least, that's what I see.

• Like 1

After she was baked I went around her form with a line of tacky glue and added sand to that line. But after baking she was pretty well stuck to that shell even without securing with glue. 

• Like 1

A mermaid is on my list of planned projects, and now you have inspired me to think further on it.

Does your mermaid have an identity yet?  (Name, status, etc.)

Have you seen the show, "Siren"?  That has me thinking also ... 

I was inspired and motivated by someone else, so I guess that’s how sparks of creativity work from person to person! 

I haven’t named her but I’m looking fw to making more mermaids and merchildren! 

I haven’t seen Siren, I’ll check it out for sure! 

I should say, my dolls face is china painted. If the doll is painted with acrylics I’m not sure what putting her in the toaster oven would do to the paint. I bake on 275 for 20 minutes. That’s not going to touch the china paint that’s fired on at over 1000 degrees but for acrylics you might want to test that first before baking. 

How important is it to have a dedicated oven for polymer clay baking? Is it safe to use for food afterward, not immediately after, but after the fumes have dissipated?

I have regular double ovens and usually only use the bottom oven during holidays etc.

It's POLYmer clay, so in addition to the fumes there are oils that will settle on the heating elements, making a "gift" that keeps on giving.  This is why I invested USD$10 at a Family Dollar store and bought a toaster oven (plus $1 thermometer) that I use just to bake polymer clay items.

• Like 1

I know I see tutorials that say you can bake it in your home oven. I agree with Holly, I just wouldn't. I don’t even like breathing the fumes while it’s baking. My toaster oven was also a cheapo purchase, I bought it for $14 at target. Now I’m wishing it had more head room though lol. I’m thinking of commandeering my kitchens better quality toaster/convection oven and buying a new one for the kitchen. I’d like to be able to use some bigger shells. 

So true Holly about the hair, that’s my favorite part about dollmaking, they sure come to life after the hair. The easy thing about mermaid hair is it’s no fuss, long loose curls. Although I did see a 1/12 mermaid that a lady had done with a more structured Gibson girl hair style with shells and jewels tucked in and it was gorgeous. 

In case anyone needs this hair info: Viscose fiber doll hair  (bought at “all cooped up” eBay store) dampened and curled with knitting needles then glued onto head in small sections with tacky glue.  The little jewel that I glued onto her crown was a nail art sticker. Went over it with clear nail polish. 

• Like 2

I have often painted on polymer clay with acrylic paints, then put it in the oven.  The paint is fine - in fact, I think the paint surface smooths out a little with the heat!  It's supposed to bond the paint to the clay ... although I don't know about painting it on porcelain.

Polymer craft/art clay was designed for the home crafter, and should be safe for the home oven - but I also purchased a second-hand toaster oven , just for safety's sake.  All the tools I use for sculpting are also dedicated for that purpose.  I have found many baking supply/cake decorating tools that are perfect for polyclay - but of course, they cannot be used for food afterwards.  I know people who won't even use their toaster oven indoors, because of the fumes.  They use their decks or balconies instead.  As long as I can open a window, I'm happy to do my clay baking inside.

• Like 1

The warnings about baking polymer clay were posts from people whose pet birds died from the fumes of the baking clay and that was enough for me.

2 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

...this hair info: Viscose fiber doll hair  (bought at “all cooped up” eBay store) dampened and curled with knitting needles then glued onto head in small sections with tacky glue...

Additionally, the viscose curls can be straightened by tying one end of several lengths (cut the same length) to aforesaid knitting needle and the other end to another needle and moving the needles back & forth through the steam of a pot of boiling water.  I did this to make the plaits for this little girl:

Sally.JPG

She has a very bratty brother only slightly older than she is and a baby sister who has stolen her thunder.  I am always amazed and bemused to see just who emerges from the clay when I sculpt.

• Like 2