Oops! Forgot to introduce myself!

Charlene

Hello!

I've been posting and it just occured to me that I never introduced myself! :) So, here I am hoping to meeting some like-minded souls and share my disasters and triumphs -- please note that I mention disasters first since I have more disasters than triumphs!

I've been into miniatures for years and years. Last year my husband retired (due to his health) and we moved from the very big city (Northern Virginia near DC) to the sticks of West Virginia. Love it here EXCEPT I no longer have miniature 3 miniature stores within 20 miles of home and there are no mini clubs to be found. Actually to even find a Michaels I need to drive over an hour!

Currently restyling a Sugarplum Cottage into a Prancing Pony (from Lord of the Rings). I purchased this kit for my sister who wanted a Santa's cottage. Of course, as little sisters do, she changed her mind and Santa's place came out of an Aster instead!

I currently have an under-construction (for the last 20 years!) MDF colonial (my first), a constantly changing haunted house (one of my personal favorites) and a thatched cottage in the keeping of my mother. On the shelf for future construction is a 1:24 castle, the 1:24 Fairfield and I plan my own version of Glastonbury Abbey.

Since I've always been into the building and outside decor of mini houses rather than interior work, I hope to learn a lot from all of you regarding decor and perhaps share some building tactics of my own.

Charlene

wow charlene, that sounds like moving alot of mini homes to w.va ! I know the shops you spoke of, as i live in Virginia. You might be more near the mini stores in Kentucky--MiniatuRE Manor? is run bya Ruth Blakemore up thereabouts.

Your haunted house sounds cool--that theme is so much fun and you can do so much with it--

Welcome to the forum Charlene! We would like to see pictures of the houses you've done. You can get lots of ideas here and everyone is helpful.

Peggi

Welcome Charlene! It sounds like you have your hands full! :) I know what you mean about finding mini-stores . . . I have to travel over an hour to get to one. We do, however, have a Michael's at least, but it doesn't offer much in the way of mini-land! :lol:

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome! As to photos, my photographic skills are limited with the digital camera -- can't get it to download the photos, so I'm stuck with the web cam since the 35mm film seems to get stuck in a drawer and never developed :)

Moving the mini stuff was a nightmare...not just the houses, but all my supplies...I'm sure you all know what I mean. I'm not sure where all that stuff came from! But, I did get exclusive use of the 9x12 office building where I can mini to my heart's content!

You all seem like such nice open people -- look forward to getting to know all of you.

Charlene

I am so glad you found the forum. ME being new to the obsession of dollhouses its good to know that there are oodles and gobs of people to go to for help :lol:

I am having the same problems finding dollhouse stores but I guess thats the price I have to pay for living in the middle of an orange grove. :)

Everyone here is wonderful and its nice to have another wonderful person.

Hello Charlene and WELCOME!!!

:lol:

I use the Flashlink by Simpletech. A customer of mine told me about it because I had problems downloading my pictures from my digital camera to the computer. All you do is remove the disc from your computer (This thingy accept 2 types wheich are most commonly used) and it brings them in the computer and helps you sort them too.

I bought it on Amazon here is a link to see if it is right for you.SimpleTech

I guess I am selfish LOL. I gave you the link cause I wanna see your pictures too LOL :)

Your projects sounds WONDRFUL!!

Welcome Charlene! Your houses sound wonderful. I can't wait to see them. BTW, what is a prancing pony? I haven't read the books yet, though they are on my list of books to read. It sounds interesting!

Karen :)

Sorry -- the Prancing Pony is the inn where the Hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pip) met Strider (Aragorn) for the first time...it was there that Aragorn told Frodo exactly what it was that was chasing them and explained how Gandolf (the wizard) sent him to protect them. It's from the first book in "Lord of the Rings" ("Fellowship of the Ring"). And BTW, if you're not really into reading involved fantasy, the movies are quicker, easier to follow and the guys are better looking! :)

Shutterbugkc, you've got to see the first two movies! They're awesome and will give you much more understanding of what's going on in the third. Also, when you read the books, you'll have all the wonderful faces to put to the characters (my personal favorite, as is everyone's I'm sure, Orlando Bloom)!! :)

Hi Charlene Glad you joined... Like you i moved from the city out to the country with no miniature shops and no dollshouse club... Now I usually buy on line - where its all sooo tempting, and of course from ebay where you can get all the bargains. As for the dollshouse club, I solved that by starting one up locally... we meet in one of the village halls, so thats brought quite a few like minded people together.... there are mini maniacs everywhere!

Best Wishes

Margaret :lol:

Hi Margaret --

Checked out your webshots album and fell in love with the little red-headed doll. Did you make her? She is just adorable. And was that a Buttercup you used for your poacher's cottage? What did you use for the outside finish on it? Great detailing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Charlene - I tried to reply to your post... but I have been delayed... a wee glitch while i changed my email address.

yes it was a buttercup and i used papier mache for the outside....

I have started another one - this time an orchid... but it seems to have been at the same stage of progress for some times now....

Now that I am finally on broadband I intend to put in a bunch of pictures of George Street, and perhaps my new farmhouse which is in a totally untouched state - I dont intend to start that for a while (orchid first) and its going to be difficult deciding exactly what to do with it... At the moment I am thinking of either a tearoom... set in my favourite time... 20s or 30s... Or perhaps a Georgian farmhouse.. h'm.. No doubt I will change my mind a few times before I start.

I am very impressed by the number of houses and projects you have on the go, and I think the idea of Glastonbury abbey is lovely. I live oposite the ruins of an old church and local history says that before that there was an abbey there.... I have always thought an old medieval abbey would be lovely.... perhaps with monks working in the veg gardens etc....It wouldn't need a lot in the way of furnishing... but might take up a lot of room. My problem is.. once you have completed a project... what do you do with it........ I might have designs on the shed (brick built) at the bottom of the garden......clear out the junk and put in the dollshouses... h'm.. thats one for the future.

I look forward to hearing more of all your projects

Margaret