Decorative window sash

mesp2k

I want to make some windows with this type of sash, (only the lower sash will open.)

Just wondering - is there a name for these extended / decorative upper sash stiles? 

It looks like the upper sash is not suppose open :hmm:just what I wanted.

Image1.png.5e50deb0b86338af23801b8f07490

Thanx

• Like 1

This looks like the tilt-out windows in my real house. The bottom slides up and down and both top and bottom tilt inward for easy cleaning.

• Like 1

It's a sash horn. If you want to stop your top sash from falling down traditionally you would use an inner sash stop, which is a piece of wood that fits into the groove your sash runs up and down. My ancient windows on my RL house have both of these features. :) In a dollhouse you could just glue the top sash in and add stick on sash horns (look for half or quarter scale corbels)

5 minutes ago, Samusa said:

It's a sash horn.

Wow, I’ve never seen one of these before and very impressed it has a name. In Florida we only have boring metal frames. Nothing decorative with our windows at all. I love this detail though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sable said:

Wow, I’ve never seen one of these before and very impressed it has a name. In Florida we only have boring metal frames. Nothing decorative with our windows at all. I love this detail though.

New houses over here are the same Sable and they are practical... but my ancient old house (well ancient by Australian standards 140. :) ) has all the trimmings. 

Just now, Mid-life madness said:

WOOT WOOT.....the prize goes to Samantha.....Is there an Aussie version of Jeopardy????

I'll take architecture for 500 thanks Alex. :D 

39 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

Thanx all...

Sash horn! Thanx, Sam!

I have seen this before, but the horn was part of the stile. It's all relative.

Yes traditionalists will insist that it "runs through" as part of the stile. The add on ones are a new invention for looks only, to try and fool people that you have more expensive original sash windows, not a cheap replacement. They do nothing for the strength of the sash as originally intended. :) 

Sash horn - also called a joggle :bear:

:hmm:pointing up on the lower sash...interesting

sash-window-parts.gif

Click image to link to source

Sash horn templates:

sash-horns-1024x576.jpg

Click image & link to a bit of history on sash horns.

• Like 2

Cill vs sill...well I got that window image from a UK site, so maybe its a British thang...

Notice: UK = USA

Window board or nosing = stool

Scotia moulding = apron (not to mention moulding = molding)

5ac4b1aa516f4_windowwsashhorns2018.png.d

...I'm going to try n make a window w/sash horns.:smiliesmaker_h4h:

I'm looking at this image n think'n the grilles should be very thin on the exterior, almost - like - painted on? :dunno:

1 hour ago, WestPaces said:

Do you do this by hand Sable? Chisel?

I use my mini table saw and bring the blade down to about 2mm or halfway thru the wood.  But it can also be easily done with an xacto knife; cut the two sides halfway down and chisel out the center. You want the cutout to be the exact width of the strip wood and everything perfectly square. I line up the boards first, tape them together and draw lines across them and cut them all at once while still taped. This way they are all consistent.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Sable said:

I use my mini table saw...

Thanks Sable! Can I ask you which type of table saw you have and if you would recommend it? I am looking at the Micromark tilt table saw but there's also the multi saw (jig/scroll). I want to start scrachtbuilding a house after this kit so I'd appreciate your input on necessary - or helpful power tools.

Like Sable said - I use a mini table saw to notch the frame/sash.

I use a small flat file on the grilles & then glue & clamp them.

The grilles are made of stronger maple. (I tried poplar but I kept snapping them.)

Window parts

If your muntins & mullions are fake - meaning not filled with small panes of glass,

but instead a full pane of glass - the big window companies have coined the term grille, yes with an 'e'??

Finished construction of windows  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WestPaces said:

Thanks

Thanks Sable! Can I ask you which type of table saw you have and if you would recommend it? I am looking at the Micromark tilt table saw but there's also the multi saw (jig/scroll). I want to start scrachtbuilding a house after this kit so I'd appreciate your input on necessary - or helpful power tools.

I use the Micromark tilt saw. It’s the only saw on the mini market that accomplishes compound mitre cuts. Best tool ever! I got it when I decided to scratch build. I also took a wood shop night class at our local high school so I could understand the proper and safe way to use a table saw. Learned some great tips from that class.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sable said:

I use the Micromark tilt saw. It’s the only saw on the mini market that accomplishes compound mitre cuts. Best tool ever! I got it when I decided to scratch build. I also took a wood shop night class at our local high school so I could understand the proper and safe way to use a table saw. Learned some great tips from that class.

Good to know! I'll look out for a similar course.