Thrift stores finds

Thimble Hall

My daughter can find anything, I kid you not and she often brings home stuff she thinks I can use. Yesterday she came home with some paints called Gallery Glass, supposed to make stained glass windows, there a dozen bottles or more and some packets of what look like tiny beads. Does anyone have any ideas about this product please. She also cam home with a huge bag of Versi Magic stuff, all colors looks sort of lile eye shadow in the pots.

• Like 3

Ohhh, gallery glass, I used to use those (sort of flat bottles with a tiny nozzle?) that is sort of stayin in its shape when one squeezes it out onto a Surface for making the tree trunks on my bonsais, fills the thread Ridges from the twisted wire perfecty and can easily be painted over with regular Craft Paints in any colour you want the tree to be.

The tiny beads could work as pips for fruit halves, berries in pies, buttons on dresses, all depending on sizes and coulours i susppose. I have some teeny tiny beads coming in the mail any day now, they are called "caviar" beads and are initially supposed to be used for Nail decor so I am hoping thee are really tiny. That way I could use them with a dot of liquid fimo for pips (like in a half papaya) or indeed as caviar on a shrimp sandwich etc.

I used gallery glass on my front door.  It has a top half of glass in a metal door.  I couldn't get curtains to stay put without drilling a hole, so I used a frosted white to give me the

privacy I wanted.  

I've used Gallery Glass for coloring “stained glass” windows for houses and for real life lampshades in the past. It works well. Some of the pinks will fade over time, but the deeper colors hold up well.

• 4 months later...

I want to replace some of the windows in my Tennyson (the plastic is really thin causing some to have cracked) and I was wondering if anyone has used the plastic containers that baked goods are sold in as windows.  I would also like to try making some stained glass windows using this plastic.  Can Gallery Glass be used on this type of plastic? And can I use a black sharpie marker to make the lead lines?  

Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice!

• Like 1

I have successfully done all of the above, so my answer to all of your above questions is yes; although I mix a little gray and white acrylic paint from the tubes to make my lead lines a bit thicker.  You can also use lead golfer's tape if you wear latex or nitrile gloves to keep the lead from being absorbed into your skin.

2 hours ago, mks said:

I want to replace some of the windows in my Tennyson (the plastic is really thin causing some to have cracked) and I was wondering if anyone has used the plastic containers that baked goods are sold in as windows.  I would also like to try making some stained glass windows using this plastic.  Can Gallery Glass be used on this type of plastic? And can I use a black sharpie marker to make the lead lines?  

Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice!

Hi Marilyn! One thing I've done to create "lead lines" in glass is to use strips of drafter's tape, which are available as thin as 1/16" at the craft stores. For my Orchid, I carefully put strips of the black tape on wax paper and colored over them with a metallic silver sharpie, letting some of the black show through. I gave it a few minutes to dry, then was able to apply the tape right onto my windows (I recut them from plexiglass from a cheap frame, since the kit was old and the acetate had yellowed). I coated them with clear nail polish, which I stippled in the "panes" of the glass to make it look like old mottled glass.  It took some patience to apply the tape lines straight, but I really like how it turned out. I don't have any pictures of the windows up yet, but I'll try to post some once I get around to opening that box (I 'only' moved five months ago :). 

23 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I have successfully done all of the above, so my answer to all of your above questions is yes; although I mix a little gray and white acrylic paint from the tubes to make my lead lines a bit thicker.  You can also use lead golfer's tape if you wear latex or nitrile gloves to keep the lead from being absorbed into your skin.

Thanks Holly!  What brand of tube acrylic do you like?  Is it thicker than the bottled acrylics?  

22 hours ago, MaryKate said:

Hi Marilyn! One thing I've done to create "lead lines" in glass is to use strips of drafter's tape, which are available as thin as 1/16" at the craft stores. For my Orchid, I carefully put strips of the black tape on wax paper and colored over them with a metallic silver sharpie, letting some of the black show through. I gave it a few minutes to dry, then was able to apply the tape right onto my windows (I recut them from plexiglass from a cheap frame, since the kit was old and the acetate had yellowed). I coated them with clear nail polish, which I stippled in the "panes" of the glass to make it look like old mottled glass.  It took some patience to apply the tape lines straight, but I really like how it turned out. I don't have any pictures of the windows up yet, but I'll try to post some once I get around to opening that box (I 'only' moved five months ago :). 

Thanks MaryKate!  I am going to look for crafters tape & give it a try!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mks said:

Thanks Holly!  What brand of tube acrylic do you like?  Is it thicker than the bottled acrylics?  

The Liquitex comes in a metal tube and the Van Gogh comes in a plastic tube, which is a lot friendlier for me to use, as I have osteoarthritis in my hands and fingers.  In the tube it's thick as oil paints and water color paints in their tubes, if I'm painting pictures with them I thin them on the palette with an extender (you wouldn't believe how fast they dry out!) to keep them moist and water if I want that thinness; sort of like thinning oils with linseed oil or turps, depending on the look you're going for.  You can also use the acrylics from the tubes to tint interior latex house paint to make custom colors for painting minis.

Love Gallery Glass! And it's pricey, for what it is (about $3/bottle) where I live. I used it to make the windows on my Orchid. I squeezed out a bit into a cup, then dabbed it on in small sections on the plastic, then used a toothpick to burst any tiny bubbles and get it into the nooks and crannies. I haven't used any of the colors, but would love to give it a try.

On 7/18/2018, 10:04:38, havanaholly said:

The Liquitex comes in a metal tube and the Van Gogh comes in a plastic tube, which is a lot friendlier for me to use, as I have osteoarthritis in my hands and fingers.  In the tube it's thick as oil paints and water color paints in their tubes, if I'm painting pictures with them I thin them on the palette with an extender (you wouldn't believe how fast they dry out!) to keep them moist and water if I want that thinness; sort of like thinning oils with linseed oil or turps, depending on the look you're going for.  You can also use the acrylics from the tubes to tint interior latex house paint to make custom colors for painting minis.

Thanks Holly!

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

Love Gallery Glass! And it's pricey, for what it is (about $3/bottle) where I live. I used it to make the windows on my Orchid. I squeezed out a bit into a cup, then dabbed it on in small sections on the plastic, then used a toothpick to burst any tiny bubbles and get it into the nooks and crannies. I haven't used any of the colors, but would love to give it a try.

I've never used it either.  Amazon sells a beginner set of 8 bottles for under $16.  I think it was even cheaper before Prime day.

• Like 1

I have used Gallery Glass on my White Orchid Christmas house, but for stained glass colors I prefer transparent water color.  I expect that the colored markers might also work.

• Like 1