Gearing up for winter

doogster

Well winter's almost upon us, wondering if anyone else id gearing up for more indoor activities, such as building? The Garf still awaits, now there's the White Orchid to play with. Also got a couple of models from the new Hobby Lobby, a Queen Mary 2 and U-boat, both are around 3 feet long and look to be really nice kits from first glance.

You have many things to choose from, I hope you share pics with us.

I'm definitely ready for winter. Need a few building supplies like basswood or balsa sheets for my Garfield addition, I'm not sure which kind to use yet probably basswood. The Harrison still a work in progress and I have the Primrose that I won (plans are already in the works and on paper :banana: ). I figure with those and I still have a bunch of HOM kits that should get me through winter.

I broke the tip of my right ring finger so making my store fixtures for finishing my Orchid is on hold, as is any doll-sculpting, so I hope to tackle some of the kit backlog until the splint can come off!

A Harbor Freight store has opened in Tallahassee and DH printed off pages of coupons from their website and Monday we went berserk. The trip will be potentially even more expen$ine, I found The lathe! I've already begun to beg Santa for it.

I broke the tip of my right ring finger so making my store fixtures for finishing my Orchid is on hold, as is any doll-sculpting, so I hope to tackle some of the kit backlog until the splint can come off!

A Harbor Freight store has opened in Tallahassee and DH printed off pages of coupons from their website and Monday we went berserk. The trip will be potentially even more expen$ine, I found The lathe! I've already begun to beg Santa for it.

OK Holly, what happened to that ring finger??? And I like your Santa plans!!!!!

Be carefull with the finger so that it heals quickly!

Hugs

Andrew -

Please do the White Orchid first! I can hear it crying to be built all the way up here in Canada! It wants to be Christmasy (and besides I want to know how it is to electrify a house like that). Oh yeah, the White Orchid is also saying "electricity please ... fireplace with flickering flames ... please".

-Susanne

i have plans to build my first doll house. and i have lots of scraping to do before Christmas as some of them are for gifts to my brother and sister in law. also have a few quilts to make for my grands and i really need to get there bed bugs sewed for Christmas to. guess i need to stay off this computer and get busy. soprok

Andrew -

Please do the White Orchid first! I can hear it crying to be built all the way up here in Canada! It wants to be Christmasy (and besides I want to know how it is to electrify a house like that). Oh yeah, the White Orchid is also saying "electricity please ... fireplace with flickering flames ... please".

-Susanne

I'm planning on starting with that house, since it's so unique. I do think there'll a ton of experimenting with the scrap before getting at the actual house. I'm sure I can find a solvent adhesive to work, and it'll be worth it. As for electrifying. You know I have NO idea how to do that with a Sintra house. You can light plastic kits, but then all the wiring and stuff is hidden inside the model. You certainly can't nail into plastic, so tapewire's out. If you want a fireplace so long as it's in the bottom level you could prolly run the wires under the foundation and bring them up through the floor. I sense a challenge here.

What lathe? I got their 7x10 metal lathe last year on sale
This one combines some milling capabilities (DH's interests), it also has a disc-sander on the end. Lots of other features I hope come with it & not just on the floor model (like the 3-jaw headstock chuck we haven't been able to find to fit the cheapie).

I'm sure I can find a solvent adhesive to work

Be sure to let us know what & where when you do.

If you want a fireplace so long as it's in the bottom level you could prolly run the wires under the foundation and bring them up through the floor. I sense a challenge here.

You can hide round wire behind baseboards and ceiling cornice trim and up the inside corners. If you're going to use floor coverings upstairs you can do ceiling fixtures. I sense many tutorials coming out of this :D

Those sound like great ideas. I'd really like to leave the Orchid in it's white suit, it looks so unique that way. I'll see how it goes together, if I can find a solvent that works each bond only takes 10 seconds. I was going to try Ambroid's Proweld first, but now I think I'll try Testors liquid (in the glass bottle) since it's methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) which is one of the primary ingredients in plumbing cement. I'll give it a try in the near future and let you know.

Andrew -

Does this mean that you're going to work on the White Orchid next? BTW, it's still screaming from it's box ... wind must be blowing all the way to Canada.

We've got snow and it's so silent outside. When the weather gets cold and the snow has fallen, everything is soft and muffled. But, sounds really carry in the cold. You can hear sounds carried from quite a ways off. It's quite beautiful really. That is, except for that White Orchid that's crying so pitifully for attention.

Hey, no pressure from me.

-Susanne

I did test solvents, I posted the results in the general forum, I'm wondering if I should photograph this for a short tutorial? Whaddaya think?

Yes, a tutorial would be very nice. I read your other posting and it would be nice to see exactly where you applied the glue. (seeping in to make the weld)

We went back to HF today and the lathe we looked at (not the one with the sander) was the 9" x 20" and had gone off special, but there was THE mini lathe (all the features of the big ones we'd drooled over) and one now sits in the back of my car waiting for DH to get his hand-truck tires pumped up to bring it in (not Christmas pressie, early b'day; DH is truly romantic, he knows the gifts that touch my heart are POWER TOOLS!!!).

I'm wondering if I should photograph this for a short tutorial? Whaddaya think?

Absolutely!

Congratulations Holly on your birthday present. You must take pictures of it in use. I actually saw a HF in Macon today--told DH that when he was up to it we would have to go browsing in there cause a lot of people here had mentioned that they shopped there. :thumb: He is also wanting to go to a new Bass Pro Shop just opened in Macon. That will definitely have to wait till he is fully recovered.

Interesting this should progress here, I posted in the general mini forum and just got a negative response. But I guess this is something a little different. You really can't approach a plastic kit (which the White Orchid is) like a traditional doll house. I work tomorrow, but after will start to shoot the build-up. As a quick aside, the parts appear to be jumping out of the sheets. Clean as anything, The odd little bit of cleanup here and there with an X-acto and you're go to go.

I should add I'm lousy posting pics here, so I may have to go through the admin. But post I will!

Actually I won't. Please PM me for any info regarding working with the plastic medium.

Andrew -

Were the pieces from the plastic Orchid kit easier to pop out than in the wood kits? An exacto knife still works fine on "helping" the pieces come out? Can you use the exacto knife for cutting in the plastic, or do you need other special cutting tools?

-Susanne

OK Holly, what happened to that ring finger
Yeah, what you do? I hope it heals quickly

We spent nearly four months in VA whilst DH worked a consultant job with their state environmental people and we were camped at our last stop, in Virginia Beach. The last Frisday he was working in the office in town and we were having progressively worsening wind gusts that were threatening to damage our travel trailer's awning. HE usually handles the awning maneuvers, but this was getting critical so I grabbed the awng tool & strap and loosened the struts and tried to push the lock lever to unlock to let the awning retract. It was stuck and I had to use the rounded end of the tool to loosen & move it, and when I took the tool off the lever to stick the other end into tne end of the strap so the awning would roll up neatly the whole thing snapped loose. I incidentally snapped my right hand, and the way I was holding onto things the right ring finger was closest. As soon as I grabbed the distal joint & noticed the finger tip sort of flopping equally forward & back, I knew pretty much what the problem was and gently tugged it straight, ran inside and used banaids to splint it to my middle finger until DH got home with the First Aid kit. Next morning we stopped at a drug store and got a packet of foam-padded aluminum finger splints in two sizes with velcro closures.

It has only been three weeks so I expect to use the splint at least three more, but I can take it off for short periods. It's one of those dumb accidents.

Major aouch Holly!!!! Those wind gusts can have such terrible force in them so I can understand you now wanting to awiat hubby to come back home but still aouch!!!!!

Take it easy and heal quickly!!! :yucky:

Hugs