Chandelier question

Goldenrodfarm

Victory!!!! It’s definitely not the cleanest job but I did it! Still need to work on bending the tubing but having the wiring already through the tubes was essential. I also jammed an extra piece of wire in the tube to fill up more space so it didnt crimp quite so much. I did end up giving up on my original arms. They were pretty but my first go around was a fail and I couldnt save them. The candle cups on this one are just some sewing grommets I had laying around. Not at all the right size but I made them work. The body of the chandelier are a variety of bead caps.

38621417660_b52e140717_b.jpg

38621417580_d1fe9c7d81_b.jpg

• Like 1

It's definitely not an heirloom piece but I really just wanted to see if I could do it. I used glue to construct it but, I have to say, I really need to learn how to solder. I do have a soldering iron but I was frankly just too lazy to go out and get soldering paste last night :D I can always go out and get some to make it more permanent. 

I just need to figure out how to bend the arms a bit more gently. I really wonder if perhaps heating them would help. I definitely think I need to construct some kind of mold thing. The pliers just put too much pressure on one point. This was really more meant to test whether I could manage the electrical. I definitely did that so now it's figuring out the body and bending parts. 

A bending jig would probably help.  If you look here:  http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/How%20to%20make%20a%20metal%20tubular%20kitchen%20chair you can see one that was built for a tubular chair.  Obviously, your bends would be different, but it might give you some ideas.  Jamming the extra wire in was also really smart.  The more you fill your tube, the less it can crimp.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sable said:

Just out of curiosity how much did you end up spending on all of the bits, bulbs, tubing and shipping?  

Hmm hard to say. I actually had all of this in my stash already except for the bulbs. I probably spent $30 just on bulbs trying to test. The ones I got at Oak Ridge hobby were a waste as they instantly burned out. I won't be shopping at their brick and mortar store again. Beads and tubing in all were maybe another $30 over time but, again, I had bought them for other things so tough to say. I know the tubing is cheap. It's like $2 for a package of 3 from Blick art supply. The bead caps were probably the most expensive single items but I definitely spent the most on bulbs.

5 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

A bending jig would probably help.  If you look here:  http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/How%20to%20make%20a%20metal%20tubular%20kitchen%20chair you can see one that was built for a tubular chair.  Obviously, your bends would be different, but it might give you some ideas.  Jamming the extra wire in was also really smart.  The more you fill your tube, the less it can crimp.

I remember making a 1:1 jig like that in Manual Arts class to make a coat hangar. :D 

You did an awesome job on this Miranda.. I'm sure it's much harder than it looks. I really like the style of this one.. it has a vintage elegance to it that I love!. :) 

• 5 months later...

My brass tubes arrived and I was eager to try and get the wire through the brass tube.  There is no way the size wire I have is going through a 1/16 tube so I have to have either the wrong wire or the wrong tube. I just came back to your comments to check, and it says you used 1/16 brass tube, so I have that part right. So I must have the wrong wire, what size wire did you use? Dona