What is your most recent purchase...and Why?

BigC

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

It was just last night actually I sent an order off for all Christmas stuff.I have started collecting it as I intend to build a Christmas house and I know it will take me along time to collect all I need for it, so I have started early. Having said that I think I will have to look all over the globe to find it as it seems no one place has very much I was very disappointed last night as I was searching for Christmas wallpapers and didn't do very well, same with Christmas dishes.I think it may be an add to project over the next few years.

I have been searching for the same two things for the last several days, I think I am going to go with themed colors not necessarily Christmas prints, there are a lot of options on Etsy for downloading packs of digital paper.  The dishes have been a problem, I really don't want to spend tons of money on dishes, and the ones I have seen are not what I want, the Reudder porcelain Santa dishes are not elegant enough.  I found some pins for some holly dishes but they are out of the budget and about 90% of the pins were dead ends.  I may go with the plastic plates with the holly and berries decals that you put on yourself, a gold edge would make them look nice.  I know it is not china, and am still searching for something china however a lot of them are just decals and poorly done at that, you get what you pay for I guess!

@Goldenrodfarm Check out true2scale . Would you believe those dishes are plastic with a decal? They are reasonable and you get to make them (sort of). I bought the Sunflower decals at the Good Sam show, plus she is a private dealer/artisan and she was so down to Earth. Are those the ones you are looking at? You could always upgrade later.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

@Goldenrodfarm Check out true2scale . Would you believe those dishes are plastic with a decal? They are reasonable and you get to make them (sort of). I bought the Sunflower decals at the Good Sam show, plus she is a private dealer/artisan and she was so down to Earth. Are those the ones you are looking at? You could always upgrade later.

yes these were the ones I was looking at, they look good, I like the design, and I could get as many settings as I want, like I said a gold edge would really dress them up like in the picture, I have gold and silver leaf.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

It was just last night actually I sent an order off for all Christmas stuff.I have started collecting it as I intend to build a Christmas house and I know it will take me along time to collect all I need for it, so I have started early. Having said that I think I will have to look all over the globe to find it as it seems no one place has very much I was very disappointed last night as I was searching for Christmas wallpapers and didn't do very well, same with Christmas dishes.I think it may be an add to project over the next few years.

I  have several other things in the mail bought last week but  the things above where my last buy.

I searched, saved and collected for two years for my Christmas Cottage and still ended up having to make a lot of things. It was so much fun pulling everything out to start on it - like opening presents and getting excited all over again! You’ll have so much fun Jeannine!

• Like 1

I have a bid on a Lawbre coach light to match one I found for 1/2 price at a local hobby store. Ends within the hour so hopefully I will own it. Going on my Chateau. Just before that I was on a tear looking for ribbon to use as a stair runner in the French Country...I think this one is the one. 

s-l1600.jpg

MkJrvUZCA-I3Iv2x7p3K4fHcXIrMP8GowD1RuVHn

• Like 3

There is a thing about decals which many of you probably don't know. They  are ceramic decals. The sellers are saying pop them in water and they will slide off the paper  backing on to your piece, then spray with a fixative , and it does work  but what they are not telling you is that because they are ceramic decals they are designed to be fired on. they are china paint applied on to a clear surface which is barely noticeable when applied to a  piece, but it is still there ,,only in the kiln and once fired do the true colors come out in their correct color. If you look at Royal Albert china  for example the flowers are not hand painted they are ceramic decals just the same, you cannot see the transparency because it burns off in the kiln and the china paint fuses into the glaze. I get cross when I see them advertised the way they are, the colors are not bright and clear as they should be. I had a huge tote of them which  literally thousands which I donated to a school when I gave up my business, gee I wish I still had them. I have a few but not many. I recognize so many of them when I see them.

There is nothing at all wrong with decals if used as per their purpose ,but here sure is if they are sold as stick ons which looks cheap.

I think I am going to make my own china dishes Oh and   just a bit more trivia china is what porcelain is called once it is glazed

4 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I  have several other things in the mail bought last week but  the things above where my last buy.

Did you ever get the dollhouse kit from Target? The Joanne Gaines one.

3 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

There is a thing about decals which many of you probably don't know. They  are ceramic decals. ... they are china paint applied on to a clear surface 

I'm a bit confused, Are you saying that all decals are ceramic decals? I know they are not. Back in the day (1940s & 50s), the water-slide decals were popular for dressing up painted furniture. They were printed in inks on waterslide paper and intended for painted surfaces, like drawers and kitchen cabinets. They came in a number of designs flowers, kitchen gadgets, children's themes, etc. See some here. (I did a quick Google search for decals and discovered that currently the term "decal" is used mainly for peel and stick items, but there are some waterslide decals available for furniture.)

I have some water-slide decal paper that can be run through an inkjet printer. The colors are true. They do not have to be fired to reveal their beauty. The printing is fixed with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear High gloss spray so the ink won't run when they're dipped in the water bath. This paper cannot be fired. Unfortunately, the label on the box has faded so much that I can't read the return address of the company I bought it from.

I did a quick Google search for "inkjet waterslide decal paper" and found both ceramic and non-ceramic varieties of paper, which is interesting. I'd think the inkjet ink would burn off along with the clear paper. Laser printer ink on the other hand, requires heat to set, so maybe that would work.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Puppy.jpg.6adc142d83bc1e85f0dca3cddebb7a

Awww this is so adorable!!! <3 

I have collected a few things in both 1:24 and 1:12 for the past months. Now that I think of if I should probably update my Fairfield gallery, every now and then I add a few things to the decor. 

I bought a table and chairs in bare wood for the Beacon Hill that I finished recently, pictured here. I also bought a family of small dolls in 1:24 scale, they arrived recently from Russia and are thinking about moving into the Fairfield. I'm usually not big on dollhouse dolls but these were just so cute I couldn't resist, artist is Tamara Volkova.

fairfield_dolls.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeannine said:

There is a thing about decals which many of you probably don't know. They  are ceramic decals. The sellers are saying pop them in water and they will slide off the paper  backing on to your piece, then spray with a fixative , and it does work  but what they are not telling you is that because they are ceramic decals they are designed to be fired on. they are china paint applied on to a clear surface which is barely noticeable when applied to a  piece, but it is still there ,,only in the kiln and once fired do the true colors come out in their correct color. If you look at Royal Albert china  for example the flowers are not hand painted they are ceramic decals just the same, you cannot see the transparency because it burns off in the kiln and the china paint fuses into the glaze. I get cross when I see them advertised the way they are, the colors are not bright and clear as they should be. I had a huge tote of them which  literally thousands which I donated to a school when I gave up my business, gee I wish I still had them. I have a few but not many. I recognize so many of them when I see them.

There is nothing at all wrong with decals if used as per their purpose ,but here sure is if they are sold as stick ons which looks cheap.

I think I am going to make my own china dishes Oh and   just a bit more trivia china is what porcelain is called once it is glazed

I am totally confused, are they all ceramic decals, what about the ones that are inkjet? or Laser?  I looked at Decal paper.com and they seem to have a whole host of different waterslide decals for different appliations, such as wood, metal, plastic, and even balloons along with the ceramic decals that should only be used on porcelain and fired.  How do you tell what the decal is, I was ready to order the True Scale decals and plates but you have made me think.  I guess more research is needed.

No, I am sorry I confused you . I can see how my phrasing was unclear, I should have said many of the decals are for ceramics . I meant to write "there are" and I wrote ":they are".I am not saying all decals are for firing but I have seen dozens that are being sold as soak and slide types that are ceramic decals and I think that is unfair to the purchaser. You can put a ceramic decal  on a dish and not fire it but the colors will be muted, but it is still  so  easy to sell them as not needing firing.Unless one had seen them fired one would not know. In order to tell if they are unfired ceramic decals I would look close at the colors, if they seem a bit foggy I would not want them. The ones sold that are not  for ceramic should be a true color without firing, so reds especially should be vibrant and skies should not look greyed.  When the ceramic industry suddenly ceased at the turn of 2000 there a great many ceramic decals that just sat around for ages then they started to appear as good for anything. Now they are on e bay and they are not cheap. I have seen them advertised as decals that can be fired or not. This is why I get cross.

The ones you got years ago for furniture etc were not ceramic decals and the colors were true  . To give you a real example gold ceramic decals which do contain real gold look brown before firing

Sable , the house was picked up by my Grandson in law, he built it and delivered it for me as he lives right on the border .

Barb it is impossible to see from the computer, they look Ok to me , the gold is not very bright but that could be the picture or it could be painted on and not part of the decal itself.. You could e mail the seller and ask a simple question eg "can these decals be fired" I think the plastic dishes look better than many of the ceramic ones. It is always the size of the hole in a handle that I don't like it is always far too small and it makes the cup look clunky, these have a more realistic handle .. When you see the really expensive ones the hole is usually  in scale, it is much ,much harder to remove the surplus clay in the handle, breakage is to be expected so the cheaper ones opt for safety and don't remove enough.

Wow, what an interesting insight as to what you are all spending your christmas/gift money on....Some great projects comming to the fore...I suppose seeing as I started the thread should mention that there are more items that I need than I could shake a stick at :) but this scratch build is a slow process (I want to race but I cant) so I have to do things in an orderly systematic fashion, and if I can make something other than buy, I will....I am trying to split my time between the front facade and the roof...so sealer, paint and small artists paint brushes are the main purchases of late.

paint1.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

The decals made for mini items are the waterslide variety.

Holly, all decals* are waterslide. Soaking in water and sliding off the clear plastic (?) carrier layer is the definition of waterslide paper. The difference is the nature of the ink/paint used to form the image -- ceramic or not. Since the ones Barb is considering are being sold for use on plastic, I think it's safe to assume they are not the ceramic variety.

*Except for the peel-and-stick items being labeled as decals. I don't know why those are not just called stickers.