Christmas house

Thimble Hall

I loved the article about the house, gosh I am picky too but all that money for china,it was nice though.I would like to find good molds, make my own and china paint them buy they are hard to find, they used be very common too years ago.

3 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I have been searching for fabrics small scale Christmas types, I looked on many miniature sites and then on the fabric sites where I usually buy my quilting material.

Would it be possible to scan in a RL fabric that you like and then reduce it to the scale you prefer?

In the past I've used plain fabric designed to go through the printer to create personalized things.

There are ready made sheets available. Also info is available on quilting and sewing websites for ironing fabric onto freezer paper and parchment for doing that sort of thing DIY style.

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Would it be possible to scan in a RL fabric that you like and then reduce it to the scale you prefer?

In the past I've used plain fabric designed to go through the printer to create personalized things.

There are ready made sheets available. Also info is available on quilting and sewing websites for ironing fabric onto freezer paper and parchment for doing that sort of thing DIY style.

I bought a download of vintage Christmas paper, and I am going to try to print that on fabric sheets, I have quite a few sheets stashed around here, that may be the only way I can do what I want.  Years ago I got the Egyptian cotton and bottles of stuff to make your own fabric sheets and it worked well on my printer, which I still have and am using so that may be an option too.

This is the material I bought.  

Sugar Plum Christmas Charm Pack By Bunny Hill Designs; 42 - 5" Precut Fabric Quilt Squares

The size of the print is perfect.   Please share where you found the printable wallpaper.  It will be fun to watch all the future Christmas houses in progress.

6 minutes ago, pgwyn said:

This is the material I bought.  

Sugar Plum Christmas Charm Pack By Bunny Hill Designs; 42 - 5" Precut Fabric Quilt Squares

The size of the print is perfect.   Please share where you found the printable wallpaper.  It will be fun to watch all the future Christmas houses in progress.

I got a package of Vintage Christmas Digital Paper - 16 Pack Premium Digital Paper Christmas Holiday Patterns, Red and Green Scrapbook Paper Backgrounds from Etsy.  The greens are not as dark as I would like.  I would like to do the house in forest green and darker reds, and the mellow off white, I already picked out colors for the outside, the trim in Evergreen and the stucco will be Creme,  I will be doing a lot of the accents in the darker reds and gold with the greens for background.  I will go up to Houlton to the Sherman Williams store sometime next week to pick up the sample sized paint.

I actually have a lot of Christmas quilting material, but am looking more for the colors mentioned above, instead of the bright green, cherry red and white for this place.  I need to go through some of my quilting stash, and the tons of materials that my Nephew gave me last year when we lost his wife and my best friend.

I am getting excited about this project.  I was pursing Fabric.com last night and may choose a light weight fabric that is evergreen stripe for the upholstered chairs and couch, which would look nice with added pillows in reds and greens or a quilt or afghan.  I also like the green check for the cream colored background, it may have a place somewhere else!

candy bag stripe.jpg

green check.jpg

I have got some of my totes out and as you might guess the Christmas ones have got mixed in with everything else..grhh. I so far have not found anything really tiny but it will take me a long time to sort the whole lot back where they should be. However, I have found 3 fabrics which may have interest as wall hangings, as you can see they have frames  with pictures on them, they may even make bed covers with a border round them, and then there is one that may do well as a freeze around the top of a wall..maybe.

Two of them are the same design but in different colors and the size of the rectangles is 4 1/8 x 2 3/4. a nice bed size,.They are a  Rose and Hubble fabric dated 1997 called Christmas Flower Fairies 

The third one which is different. but similar ,.the rectangles are 2 1/16 x 3 1/2  may make door hangings , the small border around these blocks is 3/8 wide and is not included in the measurement shown.also a R & H fabric

The above three were bought in the UK.. The colors are deeper green and darker red than the usual Christmas colors

The last one is missing it's selvage. The stripes of pictures vary in width from as little as 1/4 to 3/4 for the borders and the main patterns also vary  1 1/8  ,1/34   2.inches , the snow men and Santa's cut out would make a nice cushion size. The colors are typical Christmas Greens and reds.

I have quite a lot of the first three probably three yards but only about a yard and a half of the last one

I know for certain I have some of the greens and reds you mention Barb mostlty  green on green and red on red as I like to do Baltimore quilts and it is the typical color but they won't be Christmassy just the colors..

Will only let me load 2

P1010092.JPG

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I have deleted almost all the pictures I have put on the site over the last few months and it is still telling me I am over my limit .I don't know what to do now

Are the pictures loaded directly into the posts or in an album first? 

3 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

The ones I  deleted where the  the ones off the forum , I didn't delete from the album

Pictures loaded into thepost themselves (as opposed likes from your albums) do have limits on how much you can use, and I know that earlier I too had the same happen to me,  but closing down the site reloading it made a difference. Now I mostly use the albums to upload to and then put into posts. I know it can be a bit trick uploading at Times, but for me it works great when I only upload one picture at a time without adding Any info, ie changing the name etc. 

Clearing cookies and signing back in helps,, too.  Our current computer doesn't let me clear cookies, alas.

Jeannine, the Coronation Street buildings were 1:12 scale and I recall the adverts from 'way back when I subscribed to DHMS, back before Warner Group bought it from Ed & Marian Fancey.  I don't recall seeing anything in the ads about who made them.

Another option for custom fabrics and papers is the online site called Spoonflower. You can design your own ideas, upload them, they print it and mail it out to you. They also have designs to choose from.

I know Brae (Otterine) has used their services in the past with good success.

Spoonflower

I have never used fabric printed from a computer, it is hard to get my head round it, and I have a few questions if anyone can help.

Doesn't it depend on the printer how well it comes out ?

Doesn't it use a lot of expensive ink?

Are the colors stable or does it come off in your hands while working with it.?

How big a piece can you copy, eg the full A4 sheet?

Holly thank you I didn't realize there were houses called that

I have given up on pictures now, way too frustrating for me, but thank you for the help If I copy something off the net it seems Ok but from my own camera it is iffy and I am way too old to try learning it now, I get so frustrated trying I am just plain giving up on it. I get them on my computer OK but loading them on here..forgetting it now

Well I wanted to cuss and stamp my foot. I spent 4 hours last night cruising the net for Christmas stuff and didn't do very well.. I was specifically looking for things to help build my house, eg wallpapers and what I found I did not like much, I don't want to print them.I have a new printer but haven't quite figured it out yet.  I ma wavering between 2 houses now. I guess I want two types of house. one with Santa and elves etc with a workshop  ( Asters) and another as a regular house but decorated for Christmas so I thought my mystery house may suit the latter and stated to work on it.I figured if I got the basic house done I would collect stuff throughout the year but didn't find the wall[pares I had in mind.

39 minutes ago, MLPMagic13 said:

Just curious, for people who have/want Christmas dollhouses - do you keep them out all year or just pull them out for the holidays?

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. Charles Dickinson had it right, my Christmas house will be a reminder!

I must add that although I was always a Christmas nut and said I would always have a Christmas tree, I have not in recent years even put one decoration out.  I did for a few years but then it just got to be too much.

6 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. Charles Dickinson had it right, my Christmas house will be a reminder!

Sorry, having technical difficulties here.:cry:

Edited by MLPMagic13