Christmas house

Thimble Hall

I am thinking of doing the Aster with two put together side by side.  If you remember a couple of weeks ago I started a topic with the same name and posted a link to a house I kind of liked the look of for a North pole house, or a Christmas house.  here  I have always like the Tudor style with rocks on the bottom and a couple of asters together would allow a lot of room to do what I want.  My aim as I stated in my last post over there is to start with one to determine if I am overestimating the size I want then get the second one after I decide on the footprint, I ordered the first one already.  I like the idea of a great room with two fireplaces, since with the open back one big one would be hard to place.  My intent is to have the middle be open to the roof, but the sides have a second story for various rooms.  I think each side will have a wall instead of being hope, and am mulling over other additions.  It will all come together when I finally figure out the size in person.  I am quite excited to do a Christmas house and have been looking at fabrics wallpaper and other interesting items.  

I have been mulling over the whole doll thing and realize that I will not be satisfied with dolls with mitten hands and poor quality faces, but will also not be able to create my own, so I focused on some Heidi Ott BJD, she has a elderly women that would make a neat Mrs Claus, but haven't found anything that would make a good Santa Claus yet.  There is a dealer in Australia that sells them more reasonably with good postage to US, and I did get myself two from her as a Christmas present to myself.  I remember my brother said a while ago, that if you live alone you need to get yourself a present too!  I got them when I got home which was fairly quick postage and love the detail and the face, the hair is so much better then most of them look in pictures.  She sells most of them for under $50 with $10 postage, but combines postage on more then one.    They are most likely going in my Stump Fairy house.  I am waiting better weather to work on that since I am at a place that makes too much mess for the house and at -16 it is not too warm outside.  

Barb that sounds very  ambitious   I must have missed the post you talk about but  I will watch your progress with great interest. I may even pull out my one Aster and give it a dry build.

I swore I wouldn't start anything else till I finished Joe's house but my grout got lost in the mail which held me up for weeks, now that is done but I am waiting for replacement shingles as there were so many duds in the box. I am stuck with nothing to do. I have done quite a bit of  sanding prep for Grandmas' house but I don't want to erect it yet. I figure if I am doing a  Christmassy thing it doesn't count  as I have a year to do it!!  So choices, gingerbread with the Aster or buy a new house for a Christmas North Pole house, or  yet another  for a regular house fully decorated for Christmas with regular people. Linda you are so right about choices, The trouble with me is I want them all and I have very little room.I have bought  a fair few houses this year but the plan was to build them and donate them with just a few for me,.

I have to be truthful and say that Heidi's pick for the House on the Hill is exactly what I am looking for  but I really have to fight it off, the cost is high and it has no components so overall it would be a very expensive house.

Maybe if I look for a San Franciscan or a Painted Lady it might work.. I would love to use something I have  but they don't seem right somehow..apart from the ones  I have  in progress or those  destined for something already these are my spares.  As I have  2  Garfields , one is destined for something and one  is spare , it is very big but  it might  look good!! The other   spares I have  are Chantilly,Willowcrest  and Westville

As I am totally bored sick and at a standstill with  Joe's house I have to find something to do.

@Jeannine, I can imagine a closet full of storage totes.  My closets are full but not of totes, just junk I need to clean out.  I think I would be more inspired if I could dedicate one room and organize it to find things easily.   Maybe we can encourage each other in our Christmas builds.  I just want a simple house with one room upstairs and one downstairs, what do you think of the Sugar Plum?

Holly, I am certain the Hoods would decorate but I don't want to take them out and put them back, I want a house I can bring out at Christmas all done.

Karin, I love the idea of a street of shops . I almost bought the Petie Properties row but figured it was too small, I wasn't aware of the Houseworks one, thank you I will look at them.

Patti, if you remember I am just almost finished with the  Sugarplum as Joe's house. I changed it a bit though. As it comes out of the box, I think it would make great house for Mr and Mrs Santa,'s own house and  it would make a good gingerbread house .  It  is only 2 rooms, 1 up and 1 down  which is what you wanted and it is a lovely little house so may suit your choice very well... I also have the Aster which looks a typical winter house to me. If I was to choose between the two I think I would go with the Aster purely because it looks wintery, the roof just calls out to be snowy , well it does to me anyway but it is side opening and I am not sure how I feel about that. Oh and the Sugarplum has no stairs, the Aster does. My Aster was originally going to be Grandmas house but I thought it too small, then it  was destined to be a Gingerbread house  then I thought it may be good for Mr  and  Mrs Santa poor little house is crying out to be something but that side opening!! Barb had an idea to put too together , could be great..

For my "Christmas House"I wanted a family home with parents and kids in , but wanted to decorate it for Christmas so for that idea I needed a bit bigger house, I will just keep my eyes open and wait for something to call to me I guess, hopefully one of the ones under the sofa would be good LOL..  In the meantime I thought the Aster will satisfy my hunger to do something Christmassy, now I am not so sure but I will carry on with it and do a dry build.

Who were you planning on putting in your house, people or the Santa Couple. We can still work together, that would be lovely.

25 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

...For my "Christmas House"I wanted a family home with parents and kids in , but wanted to decorate it for Christmas so for that idea I needed a bit bigger house...

Harrison for a large family; lots of rooms to decorate.

Holly, I have things in my basket as we speak ,, question,,does the  Orchid have stairs, in the description it says stairway but in all the other houses it says stairs so I am confused and I cannot see it from the picture on the site

2 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Holly, I have things in my basket as we speak ,, question,,does the  Orchid have stairs, in the description it says stairway but in all the other houses it says stairs so I am confused and I cannot see it from the picture on the site

It is a sort of rudimentary stairway. It has tread but no risers, and it takes up a fair amount of room in what is intended to be the kitchen. 

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

Who were you planning on putting in your house, people or the Santa Couple. We can still work together, that would be lovely.

I looked at the Sugarplum measurements and was afraid it might be a little too small.  I had also considered a DuraCraft Ashley because it was a little bigger, and since I was tired of looking and wanted to get going with one, I found an Ashley on ebay and bought it. Should be here in a week I guess.  No going back now.  I am going to put my little Christmas mouse family in it.  Keep me posted on your Christmas house.

Oh that is a lovely idea, those mice will be darling in there and you have that lovely Christmas fabric too, you are halfway there.

I have this list of silly things in my head,,for a start I am getting on, health not too great and my days are probably numbered but that is life and I am Ok with it but I am not going to stop doing things in fact I am stepping them up. I seem to be happy playing with my houses so if I get an idea I will find an appropriate house to do it. I am gradually disposing of my many other crafts now. Often I hear or see someone else's idea and I like it so I put it on my list, I like your idea with the mice and I have all those knitted mouse patterns. I don't like everything I see thank goodness .Realistically, I doubt if I will  ever complete all I have planned  and that doesn't matter. I love the idea of doing specific themed houses, like Christmas or Easter or your mouse house, I want to do a fairy house, and a memory house  too and I am working on my Red Riding hood trio.

When I see a house on a good sale at the mini shops or  , Craigs list , e Bay that fits into my plan I grab it and stash it. I have a fair few right now but always on the hunt.It keeps me out of trouble LOl..

I think your Ashley will be just right, I am so glad you are starting your early too. Have you decided how you are going to do it..colors, etc or is it too soon. I shall look forward to seeing it through.

Karin, I tool a look a  the Houseworks row of shops.I am very proud to say I was very tempted but didn't get them .If they had apartments above I know I would have, but I had to fight with myself not to buy them and I just might a bit later in the year, nothing to do with Christmas, I just fancy a row of shops.. I also like the ones put out by the Uk company but the shipping and incoming taxes make it very expensive. I was hoping to get over there this coming year and hopefully bring some stuff back. 

12 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...does the  Orchid have stairs, in the description it says stairway but in all the other houses it says stairs so I am confused and I cannot see it from the picture on the site

large.56d858a14715f_readytomovein.jpg.dagallery_8_2918_114128.jpg

Are the Coronation Street dollshouse kits still available?

Do you meant the Coronation series put out my xacto House of miniatures at the same time they made their very well known kits,if so no,and  they were made furniture ,not kits,they were Victorian Rococo revival  from the mid 80/s if you are talking about something else II don't know

Thank you for the picture of the stairs

This is a fun article and video about a lady's Christmas house. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/12/22/the-ultimate-tiny-house-and-tiny-family-that-lives-there/LTqPsD0GnGF3jU0Bbcn66N/story.html

If you look at this article, be sure to read the comments section too. 

16 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Oh that is a lovely idea, those mice will be darling in there and you have that lovely Christmas fabric too, you are halfway there.

I have this list of silly things in my head,,for a start I am getting on, health not too great and my days are probably numbered but that is life and I am Ok with it but I am not going to stop doing things in fact I am stepping them up. I seem to be happy playing with my houses so if I get an idea I will find an appropriate house to do it. I am gradually disposing of my many other crafts now. Often I hear or see someone else's idea and I like it so I put it on my list, I like your idea with the mice and I have all those knitted mouse patterns. I don't like everything I see thank goodness .Realistically, I doubt if I will  ever complete all I have planned  and that doesn't matter. I love the idea of doing specific themed houses, like Christmas or Easter or your mouse house, I want to do a fairy house, and a memory house  too and I am working on my Red Riding hood trio.

When I see a house on a good sale at the mini shops or  , Craigs list , e Bay that fits into my plan I grab it and stash it. I have a fair few right now but always on the hunt.It keeps me out of trouble LOl..

I think your Ashley will be just right, I am so glad you are starting your early too. Have you decided how you are going to do it..colors, etc or is it too soon. I shall look forward to seeing it through.

Since my mouse family is dressed in the traditional red, green and white I will probably go with those colors.  The fabric I bought has lots of choices to use.  I am planning on making mama mouse an apron and maybe try to make a Christmas quilt for the bed.  This is very ambitious for me.  I have great ideas but when it comes to implementing them they don't always turn out the way they were in my head.  I have also decided to start right away as soon as I get my house.   I hope you try to knit a mouse, they were so cute.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgwyn said:

Since my mouse family is dressed in the traditional red, green and white I will probably go with those colors.  The fabric I bought has lots of choices to use.  I am planning on making mama mouse an apron and maybe try to make a Christmas quilt for the bed.  This is very ambitious for me.  I have great ideas but when it comes to implementing them they don't always turn out the way they were in my head.  I have also decided to start right away as soon as I get my house.   I hope you try to knit a mouse, they were so cute.  

I have been searching for fabrics small scale Christmas types, I looked on many miniature sites and then on the fabric sites where I usually buy my quilting material.  It seems like the offerings on the miniature sites are also on the quilting sites.  The kicker is that I have a hard time visualizing the size of the print even with the ruler sitting there, I would rather see it in person, but since there are no quilting shops within a couple hundred miles that is out.  I surfed around a lot last night and decided that I would rather make my house a family Christmas house then a Santa house, so many more options for decorating.  I found some printable vintage Christmas paper that is digital, which would do nicely for wall paper.  I was looking for some tiny prints in fabrics to make pillows, then decided that upholstered chairs would be nice.  So I was here and there getting ideas.   The chairs look easy, just time consuming, and I think I will make the wing back chairs, they seem to belong with a Christmas Scene.  Can't wait for my Aster to get here!  It is miserably cold here, never got to even 0 yesterday so outside work on my Fairy stump house is on hold.  But the minimal amount of sanding for a house compared to what I am doing to the stump won't coat the whole house.  I want to start making items to go into the house!

• Like 1

Barb, I have no idea what Christmas fabrics I have in my stash, I just know I have a tote full but it is at the bottom of the tote boxes, I need to dig it out and I will try later today.Some of them will be too big but hopefully there will be some small ones, if I have some I can share. Quilting fabrics was one thing I planned on cutting down on.

I found the post where you talked about putting two Asters together and I think it is a good idea.