Winter project underway

Keifer

Oh...also I was working on a prototype modern toilet.  It will be wall mounted, like a floating toilet.  After seeing the pic I see I need to shorten the bowl portion a bit. 

01D5FDEE-F8B1-41D1-A7F0-71FFF5BE838C.jpeg

As a fan of the old fashioned round bowl I always think the elongated ones are too long.

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

...I’ve noticed I tend to work on one aspect of the house and then move on to something different before finishing whstever I was working on.   It all gets done in the end but its hard to show progress that way.

That sounds about right.

• 3 weeks later...

My bathroom sinks finally came in, all the way from the UK.  Almost done with the vanity, hope to have pics by the weekend.  Soo much staining with this project, it takes 2-3 applications to get the uniform color I started with( as the late great Tom Petty would say...”the waiting is the hardest part”).  Here is a pic from the ebay listing. 

C82E6F52-7338-48AD-BBE1-4D3C1CF87696.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh, I'm so glad you got two of those washbowls!  It looks very posh, I can imagine wall-hung commode stool and bidet in that bathroom, and a glassed-in walk-in shower.

Well good news/bad news.  For the last couple of weeks I’ve been struggling with my floor choice/material for the 2nd floor.  Initially I thought it would be fine but as I’ve finished more interior pieces I’ve realized it’s going to be too dark.  I’ve tried to talk myself into keeping it because of the time invested in it already but it has to go. 

The good news I guess is that I’ve only cut half of the planks needed.  Probably going to go with the ole popsickle stick floor so I can get the lighter color I need. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Started doing the wood floor on the 2nd level ( 3 inch popsicle sticks).  Holly I did look into the birch veneer you mentioned above, I do want to try that technique but I think I’ll save that for my next build, so thx for that tip.   I’m about 10% done with the floor I reckon, its such a large space, measures 11”x 30”   I bought 300 sticks to cover it, although there is a 20% loss due to unusable sticks....wish me luck :D

Good luck!  :)  And that is one of the advantages of half scale.  I'm doing a floor right now, but it's only about 8 1/2 x 11.  On the other hand, my wood is only 1/8 inch wide.  Wishing you lots of good sticks and looking forward to seeing the completed result.

• Like 1

Thanks deb.  It was a good mini day yesterday.  I got into a groove with the flooring with no hiccups and I’m about 60% done now.   I need to cut the last bag of 100 sticks....thinking I’m going to need a 4th bag.  

Looking at the floor so far and I’m really glad I made the switch, sometimes I get stubborn with my choices. 

23 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Whether you're a kit builder or a scratch builder, the build knows what it wants and will tell you, if you listen.

Yep. And if you don't listen, it will frustrate the devil out of you.  Face it, we're merely the servants of these tiny structures.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the floor on the upper level.  I got like half done and then was not able to work on it for a week.   It took four 100ct bags to complete, although I probably had almost a full bag of rejects. 

large.FCEFA24D-2CF3-40EE-8DE2-86299CA3E5

• Like 1

Holly I did stain it, just didn’t get a pic of it stained.  I went with a natural stain (no tint) just to bring some dimension and definition to the wood.  I picked up a bit of a warp so right now its got some weights on it.  The humidity has been brutal lately.  Hopefully it will flatten out some.  Eventually it will be glued in place but I can’t do that yet as I have to fix some issues on the first floor.  

Inch by inch, it’s coming together slowly.  Got most of the roof frame finished this weekend.  Unlike the first floor roof, the second floor will have an overhang on 3 sides.   This made it a bit of a challenge to get the grooved channel positioned for the glass to slide into. 

large.9849958F-486F-4781-9405-29C4899383

• Like 1

I remembered some things....for those following along, I was able to fix the ceiling disaster in a way that I’m ok with.  After I got all the old velm paper off, I was just going to cut new velum and try a different adhesive.  Even though all the velum was gone there was still residue left and I thought I’ll just lightly sand it off (I did see the suggestion for goo gone, after the fact...good suggestion tho) 

After sanding in a few spots it dawned on me, why not sand the whole surface, it will haze it up and have that frosted look.   So I got out my orbital sander and did the whole surface, gave it a nice even look verses hand sanding.  That was a huge weight off.   Fortunately I have a different approach for the second floor ceiling as I came into some material that was not available for the first floor.  

I know these recent pics are kinda boring but I hope to have some more exciting ones soon.  

I really love your wood floor . I'm getting better my first little house has that H look ugh had no clue what I was doing. Now this floor is so awesome that I have to ask is there a pattern you use or is it random? I did the one that is three different lengths on my Pierce Castle and it looks good but I like this one better for the next build.

Whats your secret?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keifer said:

After sanding in a few spots it dawned on me, why not sand the whole surface, it will haze it up and have that frosted look.   So I got out my orbital sander and did the whole surface, gave it a nice even look verses hand sanding.

Good thinking!  Clever fix for the problem, and no more issues with adhesives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NellBell said:

I really love your wood floor . I'm getting better my first little house has that H look ugh had no clue what I was doing. Now this floor is so awesome that I have to ask is there a pattern you use or is it random? I did the one that is three different lengths on my Pierce Castle and it looks good but I like this one better for the next build.

Whats your secret?

First off, thanks for noticing and secondly my personality rarely lets me do anything randomly.  I like patterns, fortunately this pattern looks random to the casual glance.   All the boards are the same length except where they need to be cut to fit.  I start in a corner with my first board then I find the center of that board and that becomes the starting point of my first board in the 3rd row.  The 2nd board is half the distance between the first board and the one in the 3rd row.  Badically its like a stair step pattern.  Then just repeat the process every 3 rows.  Hope thats clear, maybe my crude drawing will help. 

054D3D54-F6B1-40BD-95C8-E94C344180DB.jpeg

• Like 1