Hi Everyone!

I gave my brother the haunted cottage as a surprise last week and he loved it! I made a lot of the interior items myself and used kits for the fridge and stove. This was SO much fun to do, I'm considering doing a larger one next.  Again, I want to thank everyone who helped guide me thru with their tips and suggestions. This is a wonderfully supportive forum!

I'll post

Missy 

20171024_203646.jpg

20171024_203652.jpg

20171024_203507.jpg

20171024_203524.jpg

20171024_203457.jpg

Edited by Missy A
  • Like 6

It turned out fantastic Melissa! Well done.. I can see why your brother loved it. :) Love the skeleton playing the piano.. and you have a wonderful eclectic interior going on.. all nicely aged and haunt-astic! :D

• Like 1
On 10/31/2017, 3:13:02, Samusa said:

It turned out fantastic Melissa! Well done.. I can see why your brother loved it. :) Love the skeleton playing the piano.. and you have a wonderful eclectic interior going on.. all nicely aged and haunt-astic! :D

Thank you!! :) 

On 10/31/2017, 4:09:29, havanaholly said:

Thank you! I love what you did with that stove! 

On 10/31/2017, 3:23:44, Minigirl said:

Yes the stove and fridge were kits and easier than I thought to put together :) Thank you! 

This is absolutely darling! I especially like the skeleton at the piano in your last photo. What a great first build!

I'm also working on my first build (also an Orchid, if I'm not mistaken about yours); it's lovely to see all the different variations in style and theme. 

• Like 1
On 10/31/2017, 2:17:30, Missy A said:

Hi Everyone!

I gave my brother the haunted cottage as a surprise last week and he loved it! I made a lot of the interior items myself and used kits for the fridge and stove. This was SO much fun to do, I'm considering doing a larger one next.  Again, I want to thank everyone who helped guide me thru with their tips and suggestions. This is a wonderfully supportive forum!

I'll post

Missy 

20171024_203646.jpg

20171024_203652.jpg

20171024_203507.jpg

20171024_203524.jpg

20171024_203457.jpg

Nice work on the haunted house!  Where did you get the stove?  It looks about the right size that I have been looking for.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2017, 3:44:25, mks said:

Nice work on the haunted house!  Where did you get the stove?  It looks about the right size that I have been looking for.

Hi Marilyn! I got the kit on Amazon, it is made by Chrysnbon. It was very easy to put together and for plastic it was more realistic than I was expecting :) 

On 11/3/2017, 1:34:04, third_hand said:

This is absolutely darling! I especially like the skeleton at the piano in your last photo. What a great first build!

I'm also working on my first build (also an Orchid, if I'm not mistaken about yours); it's lovely to see all the different variations in style and theme. 

Thanks Eli! Yes it is the Orchid :) I can't wait to get started on my next build! 

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Boden
      Hi Everyone,
      I need a little help with the Orchid's double hung windows and staining/paint the surrounding walls. Sorry if a simliar question has been asked before, but I could not find an previous blog post.
      For part B of assembly, the directions say that the "portion of the wood surrounding the window opening, both interior and exterior, should be finsihed as the sashes have been (i.e. paint or stain) before gluing the sashes in place."
      (I stained my window sashes a dark brown, but I plan to paint the exterior a light blue. For the interior I want to do stucco.)
      So my question: how do I measure how much I should stain around the window on the house's walls? When I look at pictures of finished Orchids online it's not obvious to me that everyone has followed this direction. Is it really that important?
      -Sarah
    • By third_hand
      Hi everyone! I've had a long quiet period on here, but I've been steadily working away and going to shows/shops (I was at Good Sam in San Jose and was fortunate to visit Dollhouses, Trains, and More in Novato, CA for their closing sale). I will, finally, post a batch of haul and progress photos in the first week of November, when I get settled back into my home in Eugene. I really am terrible with a camera and it bugs everyone I know! In the meantime, I have a question: 
      Has anyone ever tried adding siding after their build's exterior was complete? Still being a novice, when I finished my first build (the Orchid; the interior is still a work-in-progress) I stepped back and thought 'I think I should have done siding.' Especially with the shingles on, the level of detail on the exterior just varies too much; it's been irritating me for a couple of months now. I'm a bit of a stickler it seems (though I didn't know it at the time)! My window/door casings, dormers, gingerbread, and my custom porch/railings are all already in place. I realize it may be very difficult, but the question is: is it even possible? If so, do you have any tips on how to do this?
      Any and all possible mini wisdom is welcome!  
      P.S. I have the opportunity to snag a very affordable Laurel kit secondhand so I'm trying to decide where I should just start the next building with siding and call it 'lesson learned' or go back and add to the Orchid (and stash the Laurel until after the New Year, space is a very important consideration here). P.S. P.S.: I'm not a Cher fan, but I took a page out of Elizabeth's book (Studio E miniatures) since I'm always charmed by her ability to make musical jokes in her posts/titles!
    • By hmayonayz
      I finally got it! I'm building my first house, the Orchid.  I literally sat and stressed for hours yesterday about the stairs, which were horrible and splintery and way too big really for the housel. So I found angieaug's video on youtube and the lightbulb went on. I cobbled together a set this morning that fits like I want and she made it easy as pie. Eating pie that is, lol. So thanks to her! They are drying but I need to figure out wallpaper and stuff before I put them in permanently. 
    • By gimpnelly
      Hi there! I just purchased an Orchid kit that I’m very excited to build and wanted to join this community to chat about it! I have one unfinished dollhouse that’s just too big for my current home (it’s 32” wide and I needed something smaller), so I decided to start over again. By day, I’m in marketing and I live with my fiancé and our two cats in Madison. I also like to read, write, play video games, watch TV, and see live music. Nice to meet you all!
    • By LeFemmeFatale
      Me again!  SO. I've finally created all my custom wallpaper and printed them all out. I also have started cutting down and staining all my individual coffee stirrers for my flooring. 

My question is this: for the Fairfield, since the layout is so complex, I can't figure out if it would be better to lay the flooring down before I put up the walls, or to wallpaper and assemble the walls before I install the flooring? I know everyone says it is preference, and that if you dry fit, you'll be able to see tricky spots before you do it, and decide that way...but for me, the whole thing seems tricky hahaha. Also, I am not wiring for lighting, so that component doesn't matter either. 

Is there a benefit to doing wall assembly first vs. floor first or vice versa? I am going to paper the walls before I install them in either case, if that makes a difference. 

Thanks friends!